Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
The Maleficent One
Earning My Ears

Arrow Combined Disney Cruise and WDW trip

Hi everyone,

Just took our first cruise ever to Alaska. I am now hooked and immediately booked a cruise out of Galveston next year.

I then decided that I wanted to wait until the 2014 schedule comes out and book a cruise where I can either spend a few days before or after the cruise at WDW.

Seeing as i'm a bit overwhelmed on this board...Can someone kindly point me in the right direction to the proper thread? Or can someone let me know the basics of doing a combined cruise like this?

My questions are pretty basic:

is there a discount for hotel to WDW if you are taking a cruise? Tickets?

How does the Transportation work? Airport to WDW to Cruiseline back to Airport or some semblance of this?

Sorry for all the questions.

2007- Honeymoon at All Star Sports!
2008- All Star Music w/ Free Dining!
2010- Pop Century w/ Free Dining!
2012- Alaska on the Disney Wonder!
Every week- Disneyland!
The Maleficent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maleficent One View Post
Hi everyone,

Just took our first cruise ever to Alaska. I am now hooked and immediately booked a cruise out of Galveston next year.

I then decided that I wanted to wait until the 2014 schedule comes out and book a cruise where I can either spend a few days before or after the cruise at WDW.

Seeing as i'm a bit overwhelmed on this board...Can someone kindly point me in the right direction to the proper thread? Or can someone let me know the basics of doing a combined cruise like this?

How does the Transportation work? Airport to WDW to Cruiseline back to Airport or some semblance of this?

There are no land/sea combos anymore. It works out cheaper to book each part separately.

AFAIK, there's no discount at WDW because you've booked a cruise.

Magical Express is the shuttle service from MCO to WDW and back. It's free. From WDW to port and port to MCO, you would be looking into DCL transfers, those are $35 per person each way.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

You can arrange any combination of transportation that you wish. Magical Express is a free service between MCO and WDW. It includes luggage service. Unless you really like to drive yourself, there is no good reason to not use this.

To get to the port from WDW, you can take DCL transfers for $35 per person each way, hire a towncar/limo service, or do a one way car rental (rent from a spot near WDW, drop off at Cape Canaveral and take a complimentary shuttle to the port). Your choice.

One thought--we really prefer to do WDW before the cruise. First, the cruise is relaxing, WDW not nearly so much. Secondly, if the flight gets me in late or if they lose my luggage, I have days to deal with this. I'd much rather miss one day in the park than be late to the ship!

No, there are no discounts for doing a cruise and WDW stay, BUT you can get the best price you can find for each and take advantage of any "deals" for each. When they did the land/sea packages, you couldn't take advantage of land discounts! A good TA who knows what they are doing can put it together for you so it becomes a seamless package.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

We like to do the parks before and after the cruise, staying at different hotels. Partly because of family schedules, and partly because we get one more Disney "Fix" before going home after a cruise. It's hard to leave the ship and head home, but looking forward to another day or two at the parks helps ease us out of the cruise bubble and back to the "real" world of crowds and not-always-friendly guests.

Our grandson was accustomed to the all-inclusive meals on the ship and was shocked that we had to pay for everything at WDW.

Last year DH and I celebrated major milestones in our birthdays, and our anniversary, so we splurged and did WDW, cruised the Panama Canal, then Disneyland. Fun times.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

Welcome to our obsession

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic
SnowWhite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi everyone,

we did this in August; 7 day WC on the Fantasy then three nights at WDW....will probably do the same next year....

there are absolutely no discounts- i called to find out and even complained...we actually rented a car and chilled the day of disembarking (you may be tired; up late the final night and up early the next morning) then drove to WDW the next morning...stayed in Orlando and did a lot of laundry that day...

there are buses from the Cruiseline that go to the WDW hotel...we stayed at the Contemporary and saw the Cruiseline buses constantly pulling in and out...
Old 10-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite2 View Post
Welcome to our obsession
kathie859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #8
The Maleficent One
Earning My Ears

Thanks

Thanks for the info everyone! Bummed there are no deals but that won't stop us from going.

Now just have to decide which cruise to change to as soon as the schedule comes out...and Let the DH decide whether he wants to do the cruise before or after.

2007- Honeymoon at All Star Sports!
2008- All Star Music w/ Free Dining!
2010- Pop Century w/ Free Dining!
2012- Alaska on the Disney Wonder!
Every week- Disneyland!
The Maleficent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the info everyone! Bummed there are no deals but that won't stop us from going.

Now just have to decide which cruise to change to as soon as the schedule comes out...and Let the DH decide whether he wants to do the cruise before or after.
There are no specific deals for cruising and a WDW visit - but you very well might find a good discount offered at WDW depending on when you go. There could be free dining and/or a room discount. I believe this is why they stopped doing the set land/sea combos, because it was so restrictive and people preferred to get other deals that weren't available with a land/sea. Good luck!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
closetmickey
DIS Veteran

i might be in the minority, but i much prefer WDW after the cruise It is just too hard to leave the ship without having something fun to look forward to. Enjoy!

4/14- 7nt Eastern on the FANTASY! 11/13- Weekend at DLR and stay at Disneyland Hotel
8/13- CR at WDW/ 4nt Cruise on DREAM! 6/12- Poly/POR Split Stay at WDW
8/11- DLR and stay at Grand Californian 1/11- 2 night Cruise to Nowhere on WONDER
10/10- DLR/ Mickey's Halloween Party and stay at Paradise Pier
2/10- WDW and a Week stay at the AKL 2/10- 4 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
6/09- DLR- Stay at Paradise Pier 4/09- DLR/ Club 33- Stay at Disneyland Hotel
10/08- Halloween Party at DCA 3/08- 3 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
2/08- WDW and stay at The Beach Club 10/07- Halloween Party at DCA and stay at GCH
Other trips to DLR- too many to count since 1969
closetmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by closetmickey View Post
i might be in the minority, but i much prefer WDW after the cruise It is just too hard to leave the ship without having something fun to look forward to. Enjoy!
ditto on this end....my main concern was we'd be to tired after the cruise to do WDW but it worked out great and after the seven day cruise and 4 days at WDW i was actually looking forward to getting home...
Old 10-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by closetmickey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
ditto on this end....my main concern was we'd be to tired after the cruise to do WDW but it worked out great and after the seven day cruise and 4 days at WDW i was actually looking forward to getting home...
We did 6 nights at WDW then a 7 night cruise. Trust me, it works both ways! By the last day we were ready to be at home!
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
tajz90
Mama D

Our last combo cruise, we sandwiched the cruise in between WDW and Universal so it was happiness and fun all the way around. By the last night, we were ready to go home! Parks before or after, works either way.

We used Magical Express to WDW and then used a car service for 3 point pick up. It was very reasonable considering what we were needing.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

We are doing 2 days at Universal, then 7 day cruise, then 7 days at WDW next month. Should be lots of fun.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
smooreo
Mouseketeer

We're doing WDW before the cruise so we can enjoy the parks and then "relax" (ha!) on board the ship. I'm really looking forward to it!

We also decided not to take DCL buses to the port as they arrive pretty late. We will, however, take them to MCO.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: