Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #16
intheshadows
Earning My Ears

The name is printed on it, but ID is not required to be shown to use it. Therefore, I can be Sam Smith one day and John Paul Jones the next. And, we're trained not to question gender identity so if a person who presents as female shows up with "John Paul Jones" on hir GAC, well...there you go.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheshadows View Post
Yes, they are bought and sold as "never wait in line" passes on certain websites. eBay has been better about removing them, but other sites...not so much.

Another recent "scam" we have been seeing is the "AP Tour Guide." A person who has an AP and a GAC "advertises" their services on a website as a "tour guide who skips the lines." For $200 they will bring you in as their "family" on their GAC.

These issues have become more of a problem recently. I hate to see abusers cause problems for those who actually need the accommodations. We have a saying on set...The people with GACs who are polite and understand wait times WILL NOT be cut down are the ones who need them. The ones that scream and yell that they have FOTL access and that "the other CM let us through" are probably fakers. But what can we do...?
Well, it is horrible that people do this. Yet, when it comes to getting my children's needs met, I really don't care what criminal A or criminal B are doing. That's not my problem and I will not allow my children to be punished because of someone else's fraud. Of Disney's answer is to only meet the needs of some disabled people (by only issuing one in the family) and not the others, that is going to be a big problem. The law is not written that you only need to make equal access for one person per family.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #18
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Wow - I must still be stuck in the 60's!

I cannot believe that anyone would sell a GAC to make a profit - or to adopt a family to "get them in an accessible entrance".

How rude! This answers WHY they are so stuck on HC using the same entrances as everyone who is mobile. Having a disability is not something that anyone should profit from!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #19
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Pluto View Post
Wow - I must still be stuck in the 60's!

I cannot believe that anyone would sell a GAC to make a profit - or to adopt a family to "get them in an accessible entrance".

How rude! This answers WHY they are so stuck on HC using the same entrances as everyone who is mobile. Having a disability is not something that anyone should profit from!
Right. I agree. I think they should criminally pursue fraud for these types of things. Who is to say that the person with the AP and the GAC actually even has a disability?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #20
adoptivemomx2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six View Post
Well, it is horrible that people do this. Yet, when it comes to getting my children's needs met, I really don't care what criminal A or criminal B are doing. That's not my problem and I will not allow my children to be punished because of someone else's fraud. Of Disney's answer is to only meet the needs of some disabled people (by only issuing one in the family) and not the others, that is going to be a big problem. The law is not written that you only need to make equal access for one person per family.
I completely agree with this. Why should my daughter NOT be able to see a show just because some jerks are faking GACs??? Punish the crooks, not the ones who need the accomodations! I do regret not pushing for a second card for me. I really wasn't feeling "the magic."
Old 10-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #21
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I'm going to close this thread at this point because the question was answered.

I will just add that people DO sell GACs.

There was even a pretty good black market going on at one point involving Make A Wish buttons.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: