Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #16
Queila
DIS Veteran

I updated twice today. Don't miss previous update on p.1

But first we need to get to Orlando.

We "woke up" at around 5 am for our 8 am flight (even though I don't believe either of us got to do any real sleep that night), got dressed, loaded the car and went to a friend's house who had offered to drive us to the airport and then bring our car back to our house.

Bless his heart to do that on a Sunday at such an ungodly hour.

At the airport we walked straight into the Air Canada check- in line but there was no sign of the other family that was travelling with us. I really did not want to have to baby-sit anybody during the trip so I was refraining myself from calling their cell phone to check on their whereabouts.

Finally when it was almost our turn I gave in and told Joey to call them up just to let them know we were about to go in and we would meet them "on the other side". Wouldn't you know they were lost in the airport waiting for us at the wrong terminal? And even though we were supposed to have printed their boarding passes (they don't have a printer) somehow none of us had it.

Soooo... Beatriz and I just took a seat in a bench nearby and waited for Joey to go get them and solve the boarding pass situation. It became a joke for the rest of trip on how they were going to work harder on becoming an asset and not a liability to our trip which, I have to say, they were not. They were super troopers and I would do it again with them in a heart beat.

That took quite some time and while waiting I took this picture of Beatriz...all Disneyfied for the trip:

Once we were all checked in it was time to pass security wich is always time consuming with the never ending removal of the shoes, jackets, folding up of strollers etc...

And then we were directed to the American customs. Something must have happened right before we arrived at customs because the line ups were huge and not moving at all. We were starting to worry about making it in time when we realized the pilot and crew for our flight were waiting to be cleared right beside us so we started talking to the captain. He had "assumed" by Bea's outfit that we were going to Disney and he wanted to know which character was favorite. It was really cute.

Finally, when the line started moving again they called the crew first (they have priority over everybody else) and Joey joked around that we should go first because the plane wouldn't leave without them but it would leave without us. The captain assured us he would wait for us so off they went...

After everything was said and done I barely had time to get myself a coffee at Starbucks before we had to get in the plane. No waiting around by the gate this time for us.

The plane left on time, I read a book, Beatriz watched "The Lorax" and Joey watched "The Avengers".

At one point Beatriz asked to go to the bathroom. She sat on the toilet and told me the plane had to land right at that moment because her belly was hurting. She usually plays "the belly hurting" card when she wants to get away from a situation but I assured her that it was not going to work this time.

So we went back to our seats and she went all white on me and started gagging. I was like PLEASE NO!!!! I think she wasn't feeling too good after all but she never threw up. We put the AC blowing on her face for some "fresh air" and hoped for the best.

Finally, after a lot of groaning she decided she wanted to take a nap. We were literally 5 minutes from landing.

Next up:
Checking in, Epcot and THE rain.

Last edited by Queila; 11-11-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Queila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #17
Queila
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by butiflfeet View Post
Yay for a new trip report! I'm hoping Isaac didn't ruin your plans too much
Half marathon weekend, eh? It is soooo on my Disney bucket list. Are you going to write a TR about it? Pleeease?

Q
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
Reberella
Mouseketeer

Following along! Your trip sounds fun! Beatriz is adorable
Can't wait for more

Reberella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #19
DinaBina
Earning My Ears

Oh my gosh! I hope she felt better off the plane!
Wifetograpger
Disneytographer
DinaBina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #20
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queila View Post
Half marathon weekend, eh? It is soooo on my Disney bucket list. Are you going to write a TR about it? Pleeease?

Q
Yep, DH and I ran the Wine and Dine half marathon last year and now we're hooked on Disney races! I hadn't originally planned on doing a trip report but I'm leaning more and more about it so maybe you'll be in luck. I always have a hard time finishing those kind of things so we'll see...
Old 10-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #21
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

I'm here!

Oh man, that sucks that Beatriz almost got sick on the plane. Thank god it was only "almost".
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #22
onescgirl
DIS Veteran

Beatriz looked so adorable in her Disney attire!!

2012 PTR In Progress: 2012 PTR ~ Skipping Skool for Free Dining!
Trip Report: Sept 2010 TR ~ ♥ Vacay with the Lovebugs ♥ ~ 2010 PTR: 2010 PTR ~ 'The Non-Catchy Title PTR'
onescgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #23
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

Another exciting trip! I've always enjoyed your TR's and Beatriz is such a doll!

I am so glad she didn't get sick on the plane and hope she napped long enough to feel better Can't wait to read more!

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
heaven2dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #24
Queila
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reberella View Post
Following along! Your trip sounds fun! Beatriz is adorable
Can't wait for more
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinaBina View Post
Oh my gosh! I hope she felt better off the plane!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
I'm here!

Oh man, that sucks that Beatriz almost got sick on the plane. Thank god it was only "almost".
Quote:
Originally Posted by onescgirl View Post
Beatriz looked so adorable in her Disney attire!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
Another exciting trip! I've always enjoyed your TR's and Beatriz is such a doll!

I am so glad she didn't get sick on the plane and hope she napped long enough to feel better Can't wait to read more!

Welcome to all! I am already neglecting the TR. Not a good sign. Bur working on a new update. Promise.

Q
Old 10-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #25
Queila
DIS Veteran

Day 1- Sunday, Aug. 26th 2012- Arrival at POFQ

So the whole process at the airport was once again seamless and, before we knew it, we were waiting for our Magical Express ride.

Beatriz perked up after all:

And guess who else arrived in Orlando right on time?

Isaac!

But we were not going to let the rain spoil the moment:

The forecast said that the heavy rain was supposed to start at night so I was hoping we would still have the chance to do something in the afternoon.

We were the first stop and made it to POFQ in no time. Even though we had made the online check- in the whole process ended up taking quite some time because we never mentioned that the two reservations were together so the two families ended up with rooms at opposite sides of the resort.

We explained the situation to the CM and he changed both rooms so we could be in the same building which was very convenient.

By the time we got the keys to our rooms the rain had stopped so the order was: go to your room, change as fast as you can and let's make it to Epcot asap.

But first, some POFQ pictures:

Last edited by Queila; 10-06-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #26
Queila
DIS Veteran

Port Orleans French Quarters Review

As soon as we got back home from our vacation I posted a quick review of POFQ at the Resorts boards so I thought it was maybe a good idea to copy and paste it over here too:

" This was our first stay at POFQ and we L-O-V-E-D it.

My husband and I were saying that it looks like we have found our match. We have stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge and Pop Century before but POFQ seemed to be the perfect match for our family.

I have always said that I would like to experience every Disney hotel at least once but it will be hard not to stay at POFQ from now on...

I think what I liked the most is the fact that the resort is comparatively very small and easy to manage. Even though our room was on building 1 (by the river) we never felt we were too far from anything. Specially when we figured we could make our way to the pool through the path by the river.

We walked to Riverside once for a meal at Boatwright's (which is amazing BTW) and took the boat back to FQ. We were planning to use the boat once again to go to DTD but ended up using the bus instead.

The bus system was good. I had heard rumors that it was supposed to be a nightmare but it was seamless. We shared it once or twice with Riverside but it wasn't a big deal. We never had to wait long for it, 10 minutes tops.

One night when we were getting back from MK after Wishes we got to the bus stop and there were tons of guests waiting. It looked like they had been waiting for quite a while. So the first bus came, filled up and left. We had to stay behind and wait for the next one. Wouldn't you know they sent a Magical Express coach to pick us up. Everybody got to sit down and watch cartoons on the way to the hotel. The bus driver called it a "magical moment".

The rooms are beautiful and spacious and mousekeeping was A1. Fresh towels and new soaps, shampoos and conditioners everyday. My daughter had brought some plush animals from home and once or twice they were placed in cute positions when we got back to our room. It was a nice touch.

The wifi in our room was not reliable though. It can get frustrating after a while.

We also ate at Sassagoula Floatworks a couple of times (shrimp po boy, creole burger, fish with collard greens, gumbo, jambalaya and a ridiculous amount of beignets). Everything was delicious and made fresh.

The staff was friendly and kept a smile on their faces even on the Monday (Aug.27) when we felt the effects of Isaac and most people stayed at the resort because of the heavy rain. Sassagoula Floatworks was extremely busy the whole morning but it never got chaotic.

We also loved the swimming pool and my daughter who is 4 years old couldn't get enough of that slide. The pool never felt too crowded and we never had trouble finding chairs. We also got to enjoy some games by the pool one afternoon and the CM's were very good with the kids.

On the Saturday night we got to go to sit at the Scat Cat's and listen to Elliot Dyson play for a while. We ordered a gyn tonic at the bar which totally hit the spot.

All in all it was a wonderful vacation and POFQ played a huge part in it. If you are reading this because you are still trying to figure out where to stay on your next Disney vacation I would highly recommend giving POFQ some serious thought".

Oh... I forgot to mention that one evening we had an encounter with a cockroach in our room. It was a huge one and it was an unpleasant surprise. I never mentioned anything to the staff because I don't think I can really hold it against Disney considering the heat and the location of the resort.

Just thought I should add this "detail" to the review.

Last edited by Queila; 10-06-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #27
Queila
DIS Veteran

Port Orleans French Quarter- Our Room:

Can you spot the hidden Mickey on the curtain?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #28
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

I see the hidden Mickey! POFQ looks like such a beautiful resort. It's too bad it seems to often be excluded from the discounts. I guess it's just popular enough on its own.

Did you see my private message?
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #29
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

I've always written off the Port Orleans resorts because New Orleans is only a two hour Amtrack ride from home and we want something different while on vacation. Perhaps I need to rethink that. The food sounds amazing!

JAMIESMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #30
emma212010
DIS Veteran

A bit late, but I'm subscribing!! Your daughter is to cute!!

We stayed at POFQ back in June and also loved it!! We had Debby to worry about, and it rained and rained and rained, so I feel you on the Isaac drama!
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR

Visiting Mom for the holidays! January 2014 TR (Current)
Moving Mom to FL and DBF's first Disney trip June 2013 PTR and TR
Mother/Daughter June 2012 PTR and TR
Graduation/Anniversary Trip July 2010 TR
emma212010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: