Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
rrali33tt
Mouseketeer

Room not ready...safe to leave laptop?

I am thinking of bringing my laptop with me on my trip Wed.. I usually plan my flights to arrive after 3pm so the room would most likely be ready when I get there, but I am flying in early arriving around 10am at POFQ. My plans are to go right to the parks after check in.

I am not sure if my room is going to be ready, but if it isn't do you think it is safe to leave a laptop with the luggage services/concierce (i am not really sure who holds the luggage there to be honest)? If the room wasn't ready I was planning on leaving my carry on with them but I am not sure if i want to leave my MAC.

Any advice?

rrali33tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrali33tt View Post
I am thinking of bringing my laptop with me on my trip Wed.. I usually plan my flights to arrive after 3pm so the room would most likely be ready when I get there, but I am flying in early arriving around 10am at POFQ. My plans are to go right to the parks after check in.

I am not sure if my room is going to be ready, but if it isn't do you think it is safe to leave a laptop with the luggage services/concierce (i am not really sure who holds the luggage there to be honest)? If the room wasn't ready I was planning on leaving my carry on with them but I am not sure if i want to leave my MAC.

Any advice?
You can leave a laptop with bell services and it probably will be OK, but a better idea would be to have the front desk lock it up in their safe deposit box.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
sixcats
DIS Veteran

I have left my electronics with Bell services on arrival day without problems. Would the front desk have room to store it in their safe? There might be safes down by the pool area also depending on your resort.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

When we travelled this past August, our room wasn't ready at the BC and I had my IPad 2 with me. We checked our bags with bell services and I handed them my IPad separately and asked them if they could lock it up. One person took our bags and the other walked over to the desk with my IPad...I got a ticket for each thing and when we returned to bell services to collect everything, we had no issues. Hope that helps.
1997:Travelodge-DTD| 2005:ASMu| 2007:POP| 2009:CSR| 2010:AKL| 2011:BC CL| 2012:BC CL| 2013:BC CL| Oct. 2013:BC|Aug. 2014:GF| Oct. 2014: CR CL &YC CL| Dec. 2014: CSR| Jan 2015: CSR|Aug 2015: CR CL & Poly CL

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
Doc Goofy
Mouseketeer

It will probably be okay and you may have little choice. That locking up idea sounds good. We had electronics taken from our room at the Poly about ten years ago. So nowhere, even Disney, is perfectly safe, sadly.
Doc Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
lylone
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them

We carry TSA approved locks and lock items in suitcases in the rooms, or when given to bell services. Not saying that mousekeepers and CMs are not honest, but better safe than sorry.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

I trust the CM's at luggage services more then anyone at an airport..
Old 10-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburg30 View Post
I trust the CM's at luggage services more then anyone at an airport..
Totally agree. When in the room, I just leave my laptop out in plain sight and nothing happens to it.

Just not in favor of being paranoid these days. Fear lets the bad guys win.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
Patrickprincess
HAVE A MAGICAL DAY

lap top

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
Totally agree. When in the room, I just leave my laptop out in plain sight and nothing happens to it.

Just not in favor of being paranoid these days. Fear lets the bad guys win.
I had no troubble with my lap top when i visited WDW a week ago. I put mine in the dresser and no one bothered it. I also did that on the fantasy once i left it on the dresser in plain sight
2013 WDW Royal Guest @Port Orleans Riverside. 2012WDW @ Royal Guest Port Orleans Riverside Disney Cruise line The Fantasy. 2004 WDW @ Port Orleans French Quarter. 2002 WDW Port Orleans Riverside, Disney cruise line The Wonder.2007 Disneyland@ The Disneyland Hotel. 2006 Disneyland @ The Paradise Hotel. 2000 Disneyland @ The Disneyland Hotel. 1999 1998,1996 Disneyland off sight hotels.
A proud Disney Stockholder
A Proud Seahawk Fan 2014 Super bowl Champions
A Seattle Mariner fan
Patrickprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
Keegansmommy
Mouseketeer

Bell services locked my laptop up at POFQ when our room wasn't ready in June. However they would not lock up our extra camera lens which cost just as much as our laptop.

So much fun we're going AGAIN!

1985 - offsite 2004 - All Star Music (honeymoon)
1991 - offsite 2006 - All Star Sports
1998 - offsite 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Pop Century
2010 - Pop Century
2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 - Leaving New Year's Day! Surprise Christmas present for our boys. - Port Orleans French Quarter
Keegansmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I was at Disneyland last week, I locked my laptop into my carryon bag and gave it to bell services.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixcats View Post
. . . Would the front desk have room to store it in their safe? . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
. . . have the front desk lock it up in their safe deposit box . . .
1) The front desk does not have a safe for public use.
2) There guest are safety deposit boxes, like in a bank.
3) Large laptops will not fit.
4) Netbooks, *usually* fit.

SAFE DEPOSIT BOXES: (at Resort Front Desk)

Safe Deposit Boxes:
. . . ALL resorts do have safety boxes at the Front Desk
. . . there are two sizes (about 4"x5"x15" and about 5"x7"x15")
. . . like a bank, you place goods in box and you & hotel each get a key
. . . you sign a card and initial the card upon each entry thereafter
. . . they have two sizes at each resort (big laptops do not fit either size)
. . . there is no charge for their use
. . . the hotel is not responsible for the items that you deposit *
. . . no resort has a public "safe" behind the Front Desk
. . . resorts do not put guest items into the main hotel safe
. . . you can only use the safety deposit boxes

As a note for large items left at bell services:
. . . items left with Bell Services are not guaranteed secure
. . . and, there is no guarantee of functioning condition for mechanical or electrical devices
. . . and, there are no separate "lock boxes" or "cages" in luggage rooms **
. . . additionally, seldom are luggage rooms kept locked at any resort
. . . frequently guests are found walking through the luggage rooms

* By using the safe deposit boxes, hotels are completely harmless from liability. The guest
handles, places and removes items, so the hotel does not have any chance to alter, damage,
or lose items. I know of no hotel that would take responsibility for valuables. There is just
too much chance for guests to flim-flam the hotel for lost or damaged goods.

** Some luggage rooms have cages, but those are for a) WDW items needing to be secured
(like wheelchairs at OKW) and b) secured luggage room for luggages checked for DME flights
through BAGS, Inc.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Rusty, Bell Services has, on their own volition, more than once flat out told us that there are cages in luggage rooms where they store things like laptops. And we get separate tags that look different than the normal tags. So I'm not sure who knows the truth there...you or several BS people at OKW, BWV, and AKJambo.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #14
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot
Rusty, Bell Services has, on their own volition, more than once flat out told us that there are cages in luggage rooms where they store things like laptops. And we get separate tags that look different than the normal tags. So I'm not sure who knows the truth there...you or several BS people at OKW, BWV, and AKJambo.
Me too. It's been mentioned and we pointed out which bags we wanted locked up due to higher value.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: