Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
Sugar Jones
DIS Veteran

Also wanted to ad that when my kids had it they felt better after about 5 days after I realized what they had. None if them had a fever or actually felt sick, just the uncomfortable sores.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #17
Mom2Four
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyDame View Post
DS has had it a few times - it's miserable!
Our doctor suggested popcicles - the cold should help his throat/mouth feel better and it helps get some fluids down there. Like others have said, there's not much you can do other than motrin and wait it out. Fortunately, it was only 2 or 3 days of misery for DS.
Out doc said what yours did - once he has symptoms, the highest risk of contagion has already passed. I wouldn't worry about traveling on Saturday. He should be turning the corner by then.
Good luck!
Thank you!!!! Oh no....a few times! Yikes!

Polynesian
Shades of Green
AKL
All Star Sports
Beach Club Villas ,
Boardwalk Inn
Old Key West
Saratoga Springs
All Star Family Suites
Wilderess Lodge Villas
Mom2Four is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
Mom2Four
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
WOW, guess sharing what I have learned was not what you wanted to hear. Hope you get advice you like.

From original post "The doc assured us that she is not contagious, but may have these symptoms for 3-7 days."
SHE. Not the HFM disease

Polynesian
Shades of Green
AKL
All Star Sports
Beach Club Villas ,
Boardwalk Inn
Old Key West
Saratoga Springs
All Star Family Suites
Wilderess Lodge Villas
Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
Mom2Four
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Jones View Post
Also wanted to ad that when my kids had it they felt better after about 5 days after I realized what they had. None if them had a fever or actually felt sick, just the uncomfortable sores.
Isn't it crazy? I just thought it was a sore throat until I saw the sores!

Polynesian
Shades of Green
AKL
All Star Sports
Beach Club Villas ,
Boardwalk Inn
Old Key West
Saratoga Springs
All Star Family Suites
Wilderess Lodge Villas
Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #20
Mom2Four
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyDame View Post
DS has had it a few times - it's miserable!
Our doctor suggested popcicles - the cold should help his throat/mouth feel better and it helps get some fluids down there. Like others have said, there's not much you can do other than motrin and wait it out. Fortunately, it was only 2 or 3 days of misery for DS.
Out doc said what yours did - once he has symptoms, the highest risk of contagion has already passed. I wouldn't worry about traveling on Saturday. He should be turning the corner by then.
Good luck!
thank you for the advice!!

Polynesian
Shades of Green
AKL
All Star Sports
Beach Club Villas ,
Boardwalk Inn
Old Key West
Saratoga Springs
All Star Family Suites
Wilderess Lodge Villas
Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #21
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

Having worked in daycare for 11 years, it is a daycare licensing law in our state that if you have HF&M you cannot return to daycare until the sores are completely scabbed over.

I caught this myself. It is EXTREMELY painful. I walked like a cripple. You feel like you're walking on needles. It was painful for anyone to touch me. My elbows and heels felt like they were on fire. My fingers hurt to even do 2 finger typing. It hurt to hold a phone. I felt like I was crippled. Although it is rare for adults to get it, I did. Probably because I work closely with kids. If your child acts like they are in pain, please believe me. They are in extreme pain. It is a pain I never felt before. I can only equate it to someone putting needles into every pressure point of your body. I missed work for a week because of it. I was not allowed back until the blisters started to burst and then scabbed over. It is contagious until is scabs over....according to our Communicable Disease training we have to take every 3 years, and according to state licensing.

I honestly don't think your daughter will be happy if you go anywhere less than 7 days after she started experiencing symptoms. This takes a while to work its course. Poor baby girl. I feel very bad for your Lily. I know what she is going through. I'd rather have the stomach flu for a week than this. Touch her lightly in various areas like the bottom of her feet, her heels, ankles, elbows, palms of her hands. See if she has any tender areas. They will feel tender for a few days before you see blisters forming. Some kids only get a sore throat and that is usually the milder form. If she starts getting tender in other areas, you know you're in for a bigger recovery time.

Last edited by CraftyMommy; 10-02-2012 at 09:12 PM.
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #22
nilseks
DIS Veteran

My son just had it a few weeks ago. He had a mild case and the symptoms were much better after about 3 days. I hope the same is true for your daughter! It sure stinks when you're about to go on vacation and someone gets sick. So stressful!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #23
snoopy5386
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMommy View Post
Having worked in daycare for 11 years, it is a daycare licensing law in our state that if you have HF&M you cannot return to daycare until the sores are completely scabbed over.

I caught this myself. It is EXTREMELY painful. I walked like a cripple. You feel like you're walking on needles. It was painful for anyone to touch me. My elbows and heels felt like they were on fire. My fingers hurt to even do 2 finger typing. It hurt to hold a phone. I felt like I was crippled. Although it is rare for adults to get it, I did. Probably because I work closely with kids. If your child acts like they are in pain, please believe me. They are in extreme pain. It is a pain I never felt before. I can only equate it to someone putting needles into every pressure point of your body. I missed work for a week because of it. I was not allowed back until the blisters started to burst and then scabbed over. It is contagious until is scabs over....according to our Communicable Disease training we have to take every 3 years, and according to state licensing.

I honestly don't think your daughter will be happy if you go anywhere less than 7 days after she started experiencing symptoms. This takes a while to work its course. Poor baby girl. I feel very bad for your Lily. I know what she is going through. I'd rather have the stomach flu for a week than this. Touch her lightly in various areas like the bottom of her feet, her heels, ankles, elbows, palms of her hands. See if she has any tender areas. They will feel tender for a few days before you see blisters forming. Some kids only get a sore throat and that is usually the milder form. If she starts getting tender in other areas, you know you're in for a bigger recovery time.

We all caught it last year at Disney, symptoms started showing up a few days after we got back. I had it the worst in the family and it was probably the sickest I have ever been in my life. Fever, throat that felt like I was swallowing glass or razor blades every time I tried to eat and painful, tingling sores all over my hands and feet that hurt so badly I couldn't sleep for 2 days even with my dr calling in a script for vicodin. I ended up losing all of my finger and toenails as well as having all the skin on the palms of my hands and soles of my feet peel off in the weeks after. DH and the kids had it too, but the more normal version - horrid sore throat and a few sores. I had hundreds!

PS the only thing I could eat or drink was chocolate milk. The dairy soothed my throat. Juice was 10x more painful because of the acid.
Coronado Springs 3/05
Polynesian 10/05
DD's 1st TRIP for her 1st BIRTHDAY April 07!!!!
Polynesian 10/07 Girls Trip!
Coronado Springs 6/08
Food and Wine Festival Fall 2008
Sailing on the Magic 10/10/09
snoopy5386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #24
vikkii19
Mouseketeer

DD caught it this summer when she was 16 months. It was horrible for the 2 days after the fever. Then she was back to normal, except for the blisters that kept coming out.

She too, lost most of her toenails, but it didn't stop her except that I couldn't put sneakers or closed shoes on. Thank god it was summer, so she was fine in sandals.

Me(31) DH(30)DD (2)
vikkii19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #25
DoryDorito
Mouseketeer

Poor little bean. My best advise, ask your pharmacist about Magic Mouthwash, it's worth a call. I have a friend who kids got HFM and she swears by this stuff. I think it's something they make up without a prescription but I'm not sure. But take a few minutes to call your pharmacist because they can tell you what works. Good luck.
DoryDorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #26
DoryDorito
Mouseketeer

Ok I got the scoop. She swears by this stuff. It's called magic mouthwash and your doctor needs to call it in for you. My friends son had it at exactly the same age and she said it helped a ton.
DoryDorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #27
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

You just have to wait it out and try to make her as comfy as possible. Tylenol and popsicles and lots of milk since she's not eating. It will get better. The blisters are very painful but you should see signs soon of her improving. Also, try cold applesauce. Good luck.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #28
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy13d69 View Post
I'm wondering why your doctor told you that Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease isn't contagious. It is HIGHLY contagious. It's really not a good idea to go to Disney until she's over it.

I guess technically the CDC considers it a "moderate" contagion, but it can be spread through the air by coughing and sneezing...That doesn't seem "moderate" to me.
Our doctor told us it wasn't contagious once she was fever-free
Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #29
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

We've had it here several times, and it really does vary with how bad it is, and how long it lasts. We've had mild and severe cases, and times when other kids didn't catch it. My twins have never had it - the only childhood illness they've managed to miss, so far. It certainly isn't the worst.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #30
Mom2Four
Mouseketeer

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Baby woke up this morning and drank a little milk and had a bit of pumpkin bread, so that's a great sign! It was a rough night though! I swear someone in my family ALWAYS get sick right before or while at Disney. Last November my 16 year old got a sinus and ear infection the day before we left. In April my 15 year old got a terrible cold in Disney and woke up with pink eye! However the most embarrassing was when the 8 year old got sick at T-Rex! I swear we are not sickly people....just when it comes to vacation I guess. Murphy's Law!

Polynesian
Shades of Green
AKL
All Star Sports
Beach Club Villas ,
Boardwalk Inn
Old Key West
Saratoga Springs
All Star Family Suites
Wilderess Lodge Villas

Display Modes Rate This Thread