Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
4 DZNY NUTZ
DIS Veteran

Do I need a passport?

I have applied for a passport card as well as my husband and kids. The status for myself and kids is that our passports are processing. My husbands is not. I am pretty sure it is because we noticed that on his birth certificate it has his mothers maiden name listed as her married name. SO..... I called the county where he was born to find out how to amend this and was told it could take 2-6 months for the state to amend it (our cruise is in february 2013) as if its not bad enough, we have to include a copy of my mother in laws birth certificate which she no longer had (her mother took it back with her to Germany many years ago and has since passed) she does have her naturalization papers which I will include. My fear now is, will we get it in time? Can he just use his license and copy of birth certificate if we don't get the passport in time? HELP!!!!

November 2014 -Disney Dream
February 2013 -POFQ & Disney Dream - Our First Cruise!!!
December 2011 - All Star Music - 2nd Honeymoon
November 2010 - All Star Sports
November 2009 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek
December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
February 2008 - All Star Music
February 2007 - Pop Century
February 2006 - All Star Sports
March 2005 - Off Site
February 1994 - Off Site
June 1992 - Off Site
1972 thru 1982 - Off Site
4 DZNY NUTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 DZNY NUTZ View Post
I have applied for a passport card as well as my husband and kids. The status for myself and kids is that our passports are processing. My husbands is not. I am pretty sure it is because we noticed that on his birth certificate it has his mothers maiden name listed as her married name. SO..... I called the county where he was born to find out how to amend this and was told it could take 2-6 months for the state to amend it (our cruise is in february 2013) as if its not bad enough, we have to include a copy of my mother in laws birth certificate which she no longer had (her mother took it back with her to Germany many years ago and has since passed) she does have her naturalization papers which I will include. My fear now is, will we get it in time? Can he just use his license and copy of birth certificate if we don't get the passport in time? HELP!!!!
Since it looks like you're going on the Dream, he would be good to go with a divers license and a certified copy of his birth certificate. A lot of states do the certification differently - raised seal, watermark, etc. but it must be a certified copy, not just a photocopy.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
LWQuestie
I'm the Rocketeer!

Passport card is not the same as passport book. Passport book is required if you need to fly home from a foreign country in an emergency.

If you are sailing on a closed loop cruise, a passport is not required. It is strongly recommended.

LWQuestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWQuestie View Post
Passport card is not the same as passport book. Passport book is required if you need to fly home from a foreign country in an emergency.

If you are sailing on a closed loop cruise, a passport is not required. It is strongly recommended.
Correct about the passport card. If you are on a closed loop cruise and need to fly home because of an emergency, the passport card won't do it for you. Passport Cards are generally used by people living near the borders with Canada or Mexico who frequently crossover.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 DZNY NUTZ View Post
..... I called the county where he was born ...
You indicate your husband is foreign-born - if he is not a U.S. citizen, he cannot cruise with just a driver's license and birth certificate. If not a citizen, presumably he has a greencard - and I believe that is acceptable for a closed-loop cruise, but you will want to confirm with the TSA website.

The Passport card is acceptable for ships on a closed-loop cruise. However, most people who want a Passport for cruising have it in case there is an emergency with need to fly home from a foreign port. The Passport card is not acceptable for air travel and would serve no purpose in an emergency situation, same as someone cruising with a birth certificate and driver's license. However, it is fully acceptable for your cruise. You need to determine your family's risk-tolerance in the event an emergency arises. Many take the risk; just as many spring for a full Passport book. Neither is wrong.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
You indicate your husband is foreign-born - if he is not a U.S. citizen, he cannot cruise with just a driver's license and birth certificate. If not a citizen, presumably he has a greencard - and I believe that is acceptable for a closed-loop cruise, but you will want to confirm with the TSA website.

The Passport card is acceptable for ships on a closed-loop cruise. However, most people who want a Passport for cruising have it in case there is an emergency with need to fly home from a foreign port. The Passport card is not acceptable for air travel and would serve no purpose in an emergency situation, same as someone cruising with a birth certificate and driver's license. However, it is fully acceptable for your cruise. You need to determine your family's risk-tolerance in the event an emergency arises. Many take the risk; just as many spring for a full Passport book. Neither is wrong.

Enjoy your cruise!
She wrote county, not country.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
She wrote county, not country.
My apologies! I was confused about the mother being from another country and mistakenly read it with the "r" in the word.
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

no
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: