Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #1351
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Me! I've been to Daytona! Great place to hang out.

I'm glad you guys made the decision to see your friends. Always good to catch up, and keep strong relationships going. Looks like it was a great time.
Daytona and Vero are the only beaches I have been to in Florida. Oh wait - I went to Fort Lauderdale during spring break when I was in college, but let's just forget about that, shall we.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
And I'm so jealous that you've been to New Zealand! I'd love to travel there someday. There's a golf course there that looks amazing--it plays right to the edge of sheer cliffs. Check it out!
New Zealand was an amazing experience. The country was so diverse in geography and so amazingly clean. Plus everyone was so incredibly nice. I had a wonderful time there and would go back in a heart beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Oh yeah...she knows and just rolls her eyes and shakes her head like she does for most things I say and do.

It's the same response I get when I tell her about those hot DISmoms!!!
And perhaps the same response you got when you told her you fought off a shark at Discovery Cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortStuff View Post
Wow, what an awesome side trip to Daytona Beach!! Did it make you want to move? It looks like a forever on vacation, spot to live!
Every place I visit makes me want to move. I'm serious. I'm pretty tired of living in Delaware. It's not a bad location, in fact its a good location, but I have lived in this general area my entire life and I would love a change.

So the short answer to your question is "Yes".

Quote:
I wonder how many things have dropped through the pier to be lost forever, through the cracks? My gosh, I think you were smart to put your phone away!!
My guess is quite a few things, but hopefully nothing super valuable. Probably not the right location to take your jewelry off or ask your friend if you can try on her new ring.

Quote:
My daughter has wanted to move to Florida for some time now. I keep thinking that I wouldn't like it, but after the trip we just made, I am quickly changing my mind. Ilove all things Disney, but when you get a bit away from the bubble, there is actually a really nice group of areas there. I would be happy to live in many of them. Florida has started to really grow on me.
That's great. Do you live in an area of Texas that has warm weather. Actually, all Texas has warm weather, doesn't it? Seriously, I don't even know. My point is, if warm weather doesn't scare you than it probably is a great place to live. Personally, I would love living somewhere where I can see palm trees everyday. That would be cool.

Quote:
Looking forward to more of your trip and enjoyed hearing your future trip plans also!!!
I am hoping to get 4 more updates in before I leave for the world, so stick around!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 10-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #1352
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

I would move to Florida in an instant, but hubby won't do it. He wants to be near the kids, but they would visit a lot more often if we lived there!

My niece lives & works in Daytona, she's a bartender & it's hard to find a good paying job with benefits there. She does love the weather, especially in the winter! She's always rubbing it in since the family lives in Ohio.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #1353
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
I would move to Florida in an instant, but hubby won't do it. He wants to be near the kids, but they would visit a lot more often if we lived there!
Denny is the same way. He would not want to live in Florida, but if I could talk him into South Carolina I would be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
My niece lives & works in Daytona, she's a bartender & it's hard to find a good paying job with benefits there. She does love the weather, especially in the winter! She's always rubbing it in since the family lives in Ohio.
I bet she does well as a bartender. There are always customers for a bar. T works for Roadway, but she did when they lived in Virginia, so she was able to go right back to work with them after sailing. I know she does a lot of commuting.

K once told me he wears pants about two weeks out of the year and socks about 5 days a year. Now that's what I'm talking about.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 10-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #1354
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Originally Posted by saintstickets
Oh yeah...she knows and just rolls her eyes and shakes her head like she does for most things I say and do.

It's the same response I get when I tell her about those hot DISmoms!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
And perhaps the same response you got when you told her you fought off a shark at Discovery Cove.
For someone I've never met in person, you know me too well.

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 10-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #1355
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Hey Mary Ellen! Just trying to get caught up, I was only about 30 pages behind! I'm not going to comment on everything because my post would be a mile long, but I did want to tell you something about your excursion choices in Nassau. On our stop in Nassau in July we went to the Sheraton for the day and thought it was a great choice, cheap too compared to other options! We took the bus, a pretty easy walk to the bus stop from where the ships dock, I can't remember what the cost was, I'd have to look at my notes, but I think it was just a few dollars per person. The bus dropped us off right in front of the Sheraton. It was then $25 for a day pass to use their pool and beach. You were also able to use the sports equipment, kayaks, snorkeling gear, stuff like that. Now the drinks were expensive and pretty weak, BUT there is an AWESOME daiquiri shack right across the street. They have about a million different combinations and they are all made with fresh fruit - so good! They also serve food a the daiquiri shack, but it's a very small menu, just a couple sandwiches and burgers. It was pretty good though and much cheaper than what the resort was charging. Let me know if you want more info on it, I'd be glad to answer any questions you have!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #1356
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Hey Mary Ellen! Just trying to get caught up, I was only about 30 pages behind! I'm not going to comment on everything because my post would be a mile long, but I did want to tell you something about your excursion choices in Nassau. On our stop in Nassau in July we went to the Sheraton for the day and thought it was a great choice, cheap too compared to other options! We took the bus, a pretty easy walk to the bus stop from where the ships dock, I can't remember what the cost was, I'd have to look at my notes, but I think it was just a few dollars per person. The bus dropped us off right in front of the Sheraton. It was then $25 for a day pass to use their pool and beach. You were also able to use the sports equipment, kayaks, snorkeling gear, stuff like that. Now the drinks were expensive and pretty weak, BUT there is an AWESOME daiquiri shack right across the street. They have about a million different combinations and they are all made with fresh fruit - so good! They also serve food a the daiquiri shack, but it's a very small menu, just a couple sandwiches and burgers. It was pretty good though and much cheaper than what the resort was charging. Let me know if you want more info on it, I'd be glad to answer any questions you have!
Thanks Michelle - that is really good information. I am so glad to hear that you endorse the Sheraton visit. The reviews on trip advisor were really positive and it definitely sounds like a bargain for the day pass.

The daiquiri shack sounds wonderful. So you can cross the street, grab a daiquiri and a snack and bring it back over to the sheraton? I love that. Thanks for the tip. I figure $25 is worth it to snorkel and kayak.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #1357
MEK
DIS Veteran

MEK Versus the Gas Cap

Well, I think you know where this update might be going. In my last update Denny and I had just spent the last 24 hours visiting our friends in Daytona while drinking good wine, eating good food, and soaking up the sun. But now we were on our way back to the bubble. Our check-in at BWV was awaiting us.

Even though this is not such a great picture, its pretty obvious that I was happy to be going back to the bubble. Yeah!

Untitled by dvcmek1, on Flickr

I spent the drive back reading, checking email, and reading FB. Before I knew it we were here:

My first time into the bubble and we didn't go through the arches and now - SUN GLARE! Bummer. Clearly I have failed Disney 101 but not getting the appropriate picture.

Once we were ready to make the turn that goes past the Boardwalk and the Beach Club, Denny announced that he wanted to get gas so we would only have to "top it off" on our return to the airport.

He pulled into the Hess station right near the Boardwalk. He pulled up to a pump and jumped out of the car. I was totally oblivious because I was still reading. I was trying to be really patient because all I wanted was check-in.

Denny gets back in the car and announces "I don't see the lever to open the gas cap?"

Me "What?"

Denny "I can't open the gas cap cover. It's not here on the floor and the cap won't open"

Me "What? That's not possible. Let me look"

So I look over on the driver's side of the car and darn it - there is no gas cap opener anywhere - its not on the floor (where mine is ). It's not on the dashboard (is anyone's). It is nowhere.

Me "It has to be somewhere. Did us press on the cap cover?"

Denny "Yes"

Me "Oh brother. Let me try"

So I get out of the car and reach for the outside of the gas cap cover. But I stop dead in my tracks because I hear Denny's imaginary voice say "Stop. Don't Force It".

Not to get off topic - but that has got to be Denny's favorite line. He uses it for everything. For example - when I put the last plate in a full dishwasher, when I put the last frozen item in the freezer, or when I try to put that one last dirty towel in the washing machine. I am always being accused of "forcing" something.

So I hesitated and pressed gently on the gas cap cover. It didn't budge.

Denny "I am going in the store to get some___________ (can't remember what)"

Me (thinking - great - leave me out here looking like a dumb @$$ who can't open the gas cap) "I'll check the manual"

Finding "gas cap" in the index was easy, but the extent of the information was its location. Yeah - that helps. Thanks.

Me "I'll google it" (thinking maybe I can call Nick. He has an old mitsubishi. Maybe he'll know. No. He won't answer his phone and then I'll think something bad happened to him.)

Lo and behold, *bam* I google the question and the answer comes right up. It says "I have a Mitsubishi Galant rental car and I can't figure out how to open the gas cap"

Answer - Are you ready for this

"Push on the side of the cap"

Seriously????? That's it. - and that's exactly what I did, no longer fearful that I was "forcing it". I took my three middle fingers and pushed as hard as I could and, as if by magic, the gas cap cover sprung open.

Hallelujah.......

So - the moral of this lengthy story - if you ever rent a Mitsubishi you PUSH on the gas cap cover to open it. Someday you may thank me.

So, after those 10 minutes of my life that I'll never get back, we drove the 1/2 mile to the Boardwalk. I ran inside to check-in while Denny waited with the car.

There was no one in line and I walked right up to a CM to check-in. Note: I booked a standard view studio and requested the 4th floor. Twice. But when I got my room assignment I was on the bottom floor.

I am really not a picky person when it comes to room location, but for some reason I had the bottom or first floor. I know some people love it, but I just don't. I like to be up high.

I told the CM that I had requested a high room and she replied, "well, you should have done on line check-in".

Me "Really? Well, do you have anything NOT on the first floor".

CM "No. The hotel is booked solid". And then she just glared at me with this look that was definitely less than magical.

Well, OK then. For a brief second I thought about coming back in the morning, but then I remembered we were only staying 3 nights. What was the point?

I went back out to the car and told Denny that I would take 2 of the rolling suitcases and he could park. I gave him a room key and the room number, then I set off to find my villa.

I guess because I was tired, but I found the BWV corridors confusing and I walked in the complete wrong direction to find the villa. I actually got stuck in between 2 doors with my suitcases. I was getting more frustrated by the minute and then I finally I found the room.

It seemed dark.

I hadn't changed from my distance lens after the beach, so I took a few pictures with the long lens. They stink.

Picture on the wall

As I was taking pictures, Denny came into the room. I just naturally assumed he would bring the rest of the items in the car. But what did he walk in with? - his small travel bag. It's the size of a camera bag.

Me "Are you kidding me? That's all you brought in?"

Denny "Yeah. Why?"

Ugh - Between the gas cap fiasco, the less than magical CM, and getting myself stuck in the doorway, I suddenly became very grumpy and must have said something to Denny which he didn't like.

I couldn't believe I had been in Disney for a week, weathered 5 nights with my brother's family and maintained my cheeriness, and now I felt like I was ready to melt.

I said "I'm going to Epcot"

Denny "Go by yourself. I'm staying here".

Me "Fine"

I don't really recall how we resolved the argument, but I am sure I apologized and told him that I just suddenly felt really "burnt out". We made up and ended up heading into Epcot together.

I knew right where I wanted to go. Recognize this?

The bar at the Ditch.

And I knew exactly what drink I wanted. See this little beauty.......

Say hello to the jalapeno margarita, complete with a "to go" glass.

Ahhhhh - liquid happiness.

And it was at this precise moment that I realized, if left to my own devices with unlimited expendable income, I could easily become an alcoholic in the Epcot land of Mexico!

We left the Ditch around 8:45 and went to my good old standby Illuminations viewing spot - Norway.

I love June - it stays light so late

Up Next.......Illuminations and "Nobody has More Fun then Us".

Old 10-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #1358
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Rentals and gascaps! They're my nightmare. I think I've had a similar experience before and totally done the "looking like an idiot who doesn't know how to put gas in a car", for like 15 minutes before.

Good to know....Mitsubishi, push the gas cap.

The BWV corridors are totally confusing. I always get confused by the floors too. We were on the second floor, which was technically the first floor, and I like an idiot got on the elevator to go up, only to see there was no up, and then we had to promptly exit.....this was all witnessed by a maintenance guy.

Mmmmmm, the Ditch. Gooooooood choice.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #1359
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

I the sun glare pic of your return to the bubble!!

I would NEVER have figured out the gas cap trick... Kudos to you!!

WTH was up with the CM at Boardwalk?? "You should have done online check in???". That just does not seem right to me - although I wouldnt have battled her either. But frustrating. So on the online check-in debate... Will you or won't you later this month? I had always thought you had a greater chance of pixie dust with in person check-in...apparently not...

Tequila has medicinal and magical properties, I tell you...fixes EVERYTHING!!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #1360
ireneryan
DIS Veteran

My father bought a used car in pristine condition, drove around 1/2 a day, went to a gas station to fill it up and could not figure out how to open the gas cap cover open. So he got a screwdriver and pried the sucker off the car. THEN it looked like a car my dad would be driving!!I miss my daddy!!!

We all have our cranky moments MEK, your brother's family is lucky you didn't EXPLODE on them and Danny should have just seen it coming. Everyone has a breaking point, luckily you were so close to (Epcot's) Mexico!!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #1361
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Oof! That sounds frustrating, but I'm glad you said that just incase anyone ever has trouble with it in the future! That's the thing about rental cars. When you're so used to your own car, finding something as simple as windshield wipers in a rental car can be a hassle!

That CM definitely needed a happy pill or something. Ugh.

-Marissa
Old 10-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #1362
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
K once told me he wears pants about two weeks out of the year and socks about 5 days a year. Now that's what I'm talking about.
I'm assuming when he's not wearing pants he's wearing shorts.

P.S. Note to self - figure out how the gas cap, lights and wipers work on rental car before leaving home with it (NEXT WEEK!!!)

Glad to hear you got some happiness in a glass at Epcot!

I'm wondering now about doing any online requests for our trip - We have AKL Jambo savannah view and there are only so many studios so I can't imagine it would be too bad. Somewhere I've seen a map and list of the rooms, I'll have to check on that. And at OKW we booked the Hospitality House category - I wonder about requesting a floor level? How many floors are there anyway? Sorry for the sidetrack.
Carry on with Illuminations - I love it!!!

Last edited by Mndisneygirl; 10-02-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #1363
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

I really shouldn't but I am at your meltdown.

You will understand why in my next update.

What a total bummer about the check in. Out of curiousity, did your request show when you checked the reservation online? I know mine showed up in one spot (main WDW "my vacation or whatever it's called I think) but not on the member services site. I've been emailing my requests in, for some reason I feel a ton safer that way (written record) versus calling. If you email you get a response back that they have it. When I've called they "dumb it down" to something that fits with the online check in options...which is not generally what I'm looking for.

I hope our experience is different this time. I have heard that the corridors there are confusing. I am super excited to stay there, for the location if nothing else but am more excited about VWL from a villa perspective, very curious to see how it is compared to the resort rooms.

Heck. I'm just excited!!!!!!!! And praying we don't get too much rain.

TWO WEEK DANCE TIME

So it was one of those tilt kind of cap covers...not a push release but push till it tilts out? I can see where that would be an issue.

That was seriously a to go glass picture?

I cannot wait to go to the Ditch. I'm thinking....2pm...2 weeks from tomorrow, right after our Mexican Culinary Seminar.

maybe we can con some folks into meeting us there...salt on body parts notwithstanding.

The Ditch makes everything better.

Don't force it? Sounds like the engineer coming out.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #1364
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

I am absolutely positive that I would have never ever EVER figured out the gas cap of that car....especially since I have never pumped my own gas. I figure if the day comes that I ever have to, well, hopefully I won't be in a car with a confusing gas cap on top of whatever adventure THAT turns out to be!

Ugh, that stinks about the less-than-magical CM. I don't think your request is THAT uncommon. And especially with your trip so far, I don't blame you for going straight to La Cava!! Your jalapeno margarita looks great! I'm aiming for a cucumber one myself next time!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:31 AM   #1365
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:

My first time into the bubble and we didn't go through the arches and now - SUN GLARE! Bummer. Clearly I have failed Disney 101 but not getting the appropriate picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
I the sun glare pic of your return to the bubble!!
I agree with 2xcited2sleep- that is a GREAT picture. I love the colors, and although you can't make out the words, you know exactly what it is!

Quote:

Seriously????? That's it. - and that's exactly what I did, no longer fearful that I was "forcing it". I took my three middle fingers and pushed as hard as I could and, as if by magic, the gas cap cover sprung open.

Hilarious story! But I would have used just one finger to open it. Just sayin'

Quote:

There was no one in line and I walked right up to a CM to check-in. Note: I booked a standard view studio and requested the 4th floor. Twice. But when I got my room assignment I was on the bottom floor.

I told the CM that I had requested a high room and she replied, "well, you should have done on line check-in".

Me "Really? Well, do you have anything NOT on the first floor".

CM "No. The hotel is booked solid". And then she just glared at me with this look that was definitely less than magical.

Over on the BC/YC thread, we almost always advise regular check-in for the resort, because that way if you are not satisfied with your room assignment and want to make a change you are not holding anyone up. With online checkin you are supposed to grab your keys and go. With regular checkin, you can ask (as you did) if there was another room that meets your request.

But this strategy did not work in this case. I guess that advice is not as helpful with the villas at BCV or BWV- since they are often at full or close to full capacity.

Last edited by natebenma; 10-03-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: