Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
PSUGuy
Bill From PA

2 Hrs Early at EWR?

We've flown out of EWR twice but it's been a while. We're doing a Sleep 'n Fly at Wyndham Gardens again and they do have good reliable suttle service. Do we really need to enter the terminal 2 hrs ahead? Our flight is at 6:15 on JetBlue and I dread the thought of how early we'll have to get up to do this.

Thanks,
Bill From PA

PSUGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Tara
Bad Influence

I only go that early for international travel at EWR. No way would I go that early for domestic. At that time, I would get there maybe 75 minutes ahead of time at most.

Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Since you are doing a sleep and fly deal I wouldnt hurry (I have no clue about that airport, but if I was staying at CMH the night before, no way I would get there 2 hours early )

BUT, since I drive about 20 miles AND there is all kinds of stupid restrictions with construction on the weekends, I'll be leaving to get us there 2 hours before again this time.. That's more in case of traffic / detours then at the airport..

My wife has just accepted that if I'm not xx minutes early, I consider myself late..
Old 10-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

There are really three questions here:

1. What are the absolute minimum time deadlines for checking luggage at the counter and presenting yourself at the gate?

2. How much time do you want to allow for unforeseen delays, such as a delayed hotel shuttle departure, traffic delays between the hotel and airport, long lines at the counter, long lines at the TSA checkpoint, or other surprises?

3. How much time do you want for an unhurried breakfast in the terminal concourse where your gate is?

If flying United Airlines out of Newark, NJ (EWR), check-in and baggage check must be completed 45 minutes before departure time (regardless of how long the line is), and you must be available for boarding at the gate 15 minutes before departure time (regardless of how long the TSA process takes).

Nobody NEEDS to be at the airport 2 hours early for a domestic flight, even at the biggest and busiest airports in the United States. However, many of us try to be at the airport 2 hours early because that allows for relaxed, relatively stress-free travel.

Also, boarding begins 30 minutes before departure, so 2 hours really means 90 minutes before boarding.

Last edited by Horace Horsecollar; 10-02-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Horace Horsecollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
jnfr2424
I'm Tink I got my Peter Pan and together we love to fly away to Neverland!

I will be taking this same flight this Friday!!

I am assuming that the hotel you are staying at has a free shuttle that will drop you off at the airport to P4 which is where you take the air train to the terminal (which will be the 3rd stop - Terminal A) then you have to go downstairs to check in for your flight then come back upstairs to get through security and depending on what day you are leaving this might be your biggest holdup bottom line give or take 90 minutes to get through it all

jnfr2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburg30 View Post

My wife has just accepted that if I'm not xx minutes early, I consider myself late..
we were going to seatac last week and felt sooooo late. Finally realized that most people wouldn't be at our level of worry for another hour and a half, lol. We once really should have missed a flight and only made it because the flight was delayed, and that will surely put the fear into you! Rather be bored out of our skulls at our gate than be running to the gate, shoes untied, holding unbelted pants up!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

OP's flight is at 6:30 a.m. Every 30 minutes of additional time at the airport means 30 minutes less sleep. I can certainly appreciate that an extra half hour or hour of sleep before the alarm clock goes off is much better than sitting in a chair near the gate for the same amount of time.

I always allow plenty of time. I try to be at the airport two hours before departure. Almost always, I'm at the gate way too early. No big deal. If there's enough time, I find a table service restaurant. If not, I look for a good counter service meal.

A couple of times, for one reason or another, I didn't make to the gate until boarding was already well underway. In those cases, if I hadn't allowed the extra time up front, the plane would already have left.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
mieuxmew
Mouseketeer

In 10 days we are flying the 6:15 am Jet Blue flight out of Newark. We live 40 minutes from the airport and plan to leave at 3 am. We are parking at a private off site parking lot 10 minutes from airport and plan to be to airport by 4:15 am (2 hours early). I would give yourself 2 hours at Newark Airport. I have seen HUGE early morning lines for both security and/or airline baggage checkin (worse than other airports). I have had two near flight misses, even arriving early.

HAVE A SAFE TRIP!!

Last edited by mieuxmew; 10-03-2012 at 05:34 AM. Reason: fact correct
mieuxmew is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: