DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
corpcomp
The 100 Yard Dash and Mr. D
 
corpcomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Wilton, CT
Posts: 1,115

Local Tipping and Maid Service - Home

Two questions:

We sometimes go to Outback Steakhouse near WDW (love their steak) and get the curb side service. So they bring the food out to the car, we pay and leave and bring back to the room. If you have ever done this, do you tip them and if so how much - DW thinks we should be paying at least 10% but for 1 minute of bringing the food to the car, I think she is being overly generous. In the Northeast, for a sit down meal, 20-25% regular tipping is the norm we are used to, especially for really great service (which is more rare than it used to be). She thinks 15% is being cheap.

2nd, and this is not directly WDW related so if the monitors need to eliminate this I understand, if you have a maid service in your home, what do you pay hourly? We have a maid coming in every two weeks for 5 hours and DW gives her $140 each time. Since DW works, I cannot complain.
__________________
Corpcomp

1980-2000 - too many to count
March 01 Poly, March 02, 03 Coronado Springs
March 04 Caribbean Beaches, March 05, 06 Coronado Springs
July 06, April 07, April 08 BCV, June 08 BWV & Yacht Club, Feb 09 BWV, Halloween 09 SSR & BWV, April 10, July 10 BCV & VWL, Aug 11 BWV, Aug 12 BCV, April 13 BCV, NYE 13 BLT & BCV
corpcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,151

I wouldn't tip. IMO we tip too much and it has become expected and not earned in many cases.

Rate for housecleaning would be based on where you live, house size etc.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran
 
MouseMomx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,301

I would not tip for curbside service either. I also don't usually tip at any counter service places (Subway, etc.) or anywhere they have a labeled tip jar (pet peeve of mine) either. We never get food delivered to our home, but if we did I would tip the delivery person. I tip when somebody waits on me throughout a meal, not when they bring my to-go order to me. We are also from CT and tip 20% in full-service restaurants. If the service is bad we adjust accordingly, but our starting point is that 20%.

We do not have a maid so I can't help you with that one.
MouseMomx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
DisneyBill


DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 1,547

We do indeed tip the curbside attendant. Amount varies, but always a few dollars, up to about 10%. Do the same when picking up pizza or Chinese from a local joint since they know us. Now if I get an "I don't care about your business attitude" from them, then it's nothing. Often give the guys at a quick-lube place a few dollars "for a soda". The gals who know how my sandwiches are to be made at subway also get recognized. Isn't that what we're supposed to do for service? I don't necessarily just put the money in a tip jar, I make certain the recipient knows they're being rewarded/recognized.

Don't have a maid. Can't afford one because we tip everyone...
DisneyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
quirty30
DIS Veteran
 
quirty30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 2,154

If I go inside myself, to pick up a to-go order, I don't tip. But if I use the curbside pick-up, I absolutely tip, usually 10% or so. You do realize those are servers who have to run outside and bring you your order? I don't think it merits a 15-20% tip, but certainly it warrants a few bucks.
__________________
quirty30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
SamSam

DIS Veteran
 
SamSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Kansas
Posts: 6,976

Housekeeping varies around the country. Here in the Mid-West several friends have housekeeping and pay $80.00 per visit (around 4 hours).
__________________
SamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #7
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt
 
taaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,856

Here's the thing with tipping/not tipping Outback curbside. (We have friends that work there, so we asked once.) The register they ring at does not discriminate between table servers and take out servers, therefore the computer expects that they will be tipped, and taxes are taken out of their paychecks a baseline amount that they are expected to be tipped. In other words, they are taxed as if you tip them whether or not you do, so if you don't tip them, they are paying the government for you to eat there ...

Its not a great system, really take-out should be a different system from table servers, but it is what it is, so keep that in mind if you decide not to tip them for their service, presuming they do a good job in getting your order right in a timely fashion.
__________________
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #8
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,151

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren View Post
Here's the thing with tipping/not tipping Outback curbside. (We have friends that work there, so we asked once.) The register they ring at does not discriminate between table servers and take out servers, therefore the computer expects that they will be tipped, and taxes are taken out of their paychecks a baseline amount that they are expected to be tipped. In other words, they are taxed as if you tip them whether or not you do, so if you don't tip them, they are paying the government for you to eat there ...

Its not a great system, really take-out should be a different system from table servers, but it is what it is, so keep that in mind if you decide not to tip them for their service, presuming they do a good job in getting your order right in a timely fashion.
I don't tip because someone gets my order correct, I expect it to be correct or I talk to the manager or don't visit that store again.

As far as them being taxed on money that they don't receive, as an employee I would be contacting the IRS because the employer is filing false tax returns.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren View Post
Here's the thing with tipping/not tipping Outback curbside. (We have friends that work there, so we asked once.) The register they ring at does not discriminate between table servers and take out servers, therefore the computer expects that they will be tipped, and taxes are taken out of their paychecks a baseline amount that they are expected to be tipped. In other words, they are taxed as if you tip them whether or not you do, so if you don't tip them, they are paying the government for you to eat there ...

Its not a great system, really take-out should be a different system from table servers, but it is what it is, so keep that in mind if you decide not to tip them for their service, presuming they do a good job in getting your order right in a timely fashion.
I think the system assumes they get tipped 10% if they are in a tipped position and withholding occurs based on those assumptions. Worst case scenario is they get anything back at the end of the year upon filing taxes if too much was help back. Normally the tipping assumptions are under the declared tips, not to mention that many don't declare all of their tips. They do not lose that money but it may be delayed.

I'm not sure the standard in this situation as it relates to tipping. For CS tipping is not expected in spite of the tip jars you see everywhere. I would assume that some tips are appropriate but not even the 10% that would be standard for a buffet. I'd think a couple of dollars would be appropriate but would depend on the volume and number of trips required as well.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt
 
taaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I'm not sure the standard in this situation as it relates to tipping. For CS tipping is not expected in spite of the tip jars you see everywhere. I would assume that some tips are appropriate but not even the 10% that would be standard for a buffet. I'd think a couple of dollars would be appropriate but would depend on the volume and number of trips required as well.
I usually don't tip at CS, unless I'm a regular then just put a dollar or two in the jar. And really, to me, it should be the restaurant owner/manager's responsibility to make sure that the take out portion of any restaurant that has both table-side and take out service has separate functions for each in the computer. So at the places that I know they don't, I usually add 10%, which is not very many places fortunately, but I've gotten in the habit of asking. Not saying anybody else has to, but just that its something to be aware of.
__________________
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren View Post
I usually don't tip at CS, unless I'm a regular then just put a dollar or two in the jar. And really, to me, it should be the restaurant owner/manager's responsibility to make sure that the take out portion of any restaurant that has both table-side and take out service has separate functions for each in the computer. So at the places that I know they don't, I usually add 10%, which is not very many places fortunately, but I've gotten in the habit of asking. Not saying anybody else has to, but just that its something to be aware of.
I don't tip routinely for CS but I do if they do more and they often do at many of the places we go. At many they deliver food, take away trays, refill drinks, check on us and if they do, I go back and tip if there's a jar or give it directly to the person involved if possible and it was only one. Otherwise we leave it on the table.

I would agree that managers should designate according but really they should simply pay ALL of their people appropriately and not pass those costs on to the customer in such a sideways fashion.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #12
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,776

where I work if someone orders food for pick up, the kitchen doesn't necessarily put the whole order together. they do the entree, but then we have to put in whatever else is needed (lemons, sour cream,coktail sacue,etc) and we putrolls in a bag, put the salad together, along with a little cup of dressing, bag the whole order, run the check (either credit card, or give change)

all this takes times away from waiting on our tables in the dining room. I don't expect 20% for this but 10% or a few bucks is warranted, and very nice!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #13
Sammie
DIS Veteran
 
Sammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Fantasyland
Posts: 20,377

I would tip because I want to, not because it is expected, especially if the person is pleasant and efficient.

Heck at random times I tip the drive thru person at McDonald's.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
where I work if someone orders food for pick up, the kitchen doesn't necessarily put the whole order together. they do the entree, but then we have to put in whatever else is needed (lemons, sour cream,coktail sacue,etc) and we putrolls in a bag, put the salad together, along with a little cup of dressing, bag the whole order, run the check (either credit card, or give change)

all this takes times away from waiting on our tables in the dining room. I don't expect 20% for this but 10% or a few bucks is warranted, and very nice!
I believe the standard isn't to tip to individual go orders that are picked up within a business. Of all of the restaurants I'm familiar with and know about the process, I can't think of a single one that routinely use wait staff that is currently busy. I've seen them ask a wait person that is standing around if they minded grabbing an order. It seems most use the hostess staff and management in combo to take care of this task, none of which are in a tipped position. I realize each situation can be different. I wonder what the % is on the order not being correct, I'd guess 10-20% or greater partly because there's often not a chance to correct it. IMO this is something that should be put on management, not the customer and simply illustrates the flaws of the system when one feels like they should only be doing things that are directly tipped. As Sammie points out, there are individual circumstances that must be considered given we're stuck with this system at present.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!
 
keishashadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 19,865

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpcomp View Post
Two questions:

2nd, and this is not directly WDW related so if the monitors need to eliminate this I understand, if you have a maid service in your home, what do you pay hourly? We have a maid coming in every two weeks for 5 hours and DW gives her $140 each time. Since DW works, I cannot complain.
years ago I bought a cleaning service but sold quickly as it was difficult to find reliable employees and those who could 'bond'. Most people who clean want to be paid off the books for varying reasons, no judgement from me it's difficult work.

Even if you go thru an agency, it's a good idea to independently tip whoever is assigned to you, i'd suggest at least $10 each time. At Christmas holidays a tip equal to a cleaning fee is the norm in Pittsburgh.

ps LOL working outside the home or not, who says the mrs is solely responsible for the household cleaning?
__________________
Will trade 'nanners taken in trade by the Tag Fairy for your tag for tags!

keishashadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.