Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #31
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You will not find incredible pizza on Disney property. Via Napoli comes closest. Wolfgang Puck Cafe does decent pizza but not the traditional mozzarella-tomato sauce pie.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #32
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Melissa View Post
No, not really. There is a pizza window NEAR Via Napoli, but it is only open during peak attendance times and it serves totally different pizza. It's more like Sicilian than Neapolitan style. (I actually suspect I would prefer the pizza window's slices, but I've never caught it open.)
The pizza window at Via Napoli is no more. It's completely gone.
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #33
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger's ally View Post
I find it funny that you want to rename a Chicago Deep Dish Pizza but actually think Via Napoli is a pie.
What in heaven's name do you find ROTFL funny about the word "pie"? Look at the menu. People in the know, know.
http://www.pepespizzeria.com/?page=menus
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #34
Dalamara
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV

What in heaven's name do you find ROTFL funny about the word "pie"? Look at the menu. People in the know, know.

I'm confused too... Isn't that what pizza used to be called? Pizza Pie right? ::shrugs::
Old 10-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #35
BabsBunny
Mouseketeer

Easy going Syracusan weighing in... Don't order pizza in most parts of Florida. In March we ordered from Giordano's. It's still a mystery what the substance was that they substituted for cheese. And don't even get me started on the wings.

DVC Fan and AKV Owner
BabsBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #36
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
every Pie I know is thick. Chicago pie is thick (you know the one that shouldn't be called Pizza ) The reason I was ROTF was it was so ironic.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #37
Jkpark
DIS Veteran

Another Pepe's fan here. You won't get anything that good, and as others have stated, some is just inedible. Via Napoli is your best bet - just don't go into it thinking it is Pepe's

WDW: Dec '85 (offsite), May '01 (offsite), Nov '02 (POFQ/Swan), Jan '07 (POP), Oct '08 (offsite), May '11 (SSR), Sept '12 (offsite/BLT)
March 2012 Aulani
Plus lots of trips to Disneyland
Jkpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #38
JimmyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger's ally View Post
every Pie I know is thick.
Well, now you know another one--the original tomato pie that was around for decades before the first "deep dish" or "stuffed" piazza surfaced in 1943. The term "pie" lays no claim to either the thin original or its mutated stuffed progeny. It is a common term to describe the finished product of either origin. Just don't see the humor or irony in the use of the term. Neapolitan pizzas have been called pies for ages. That is what they serve at Via Napoli, so that is what we shall call them.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #39
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Just don't see the humor or irony in the use of the term.
Sorry for you're lack of a sense of humor. Look, there has only been one person in this thread that has bad mouthed any style of pizza and that wasn't me, it was you. I have done alot of traveling with my job and have had pizza all over the world and know what each is called. I never try and tell someone from any part of the country or world that their pizza isn't pizza. There are many kinds and they all qualify to use the name. Someone asked for opinions and I obliged. As you can see, other's agreed. We were not snob's saying "our pizza is the greatest" nor did we make fun of anyone else's name, product or style. We simply gave a web site address and said we like it.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #40
JimmyV

Sorry you took my comment as "bad mouthing". It wasn't. I simply said that the food product in Chicago should have a different name. Nowhere embedded in that comment was any derogatory slight on the food. The term “pizza” comes from the Italian word “pizzacare” which means, loosely, “to pinch” or “to pluck”. This term is applied to the act of plucking the pie into and out of the oven with a pizza peel with a flick of the wrist. We have all seen that motion. A deep dish pie is formed in a pan and requires no plucking with a peel. As a result, that type of pie does not have its roots in the plucking method that gives the flat pie its eponymous label. But none of this suggests that the thick pie is bad or inferior. I insulted neither you nor your choice of pies. It was you who offended when you quoted me and stated publicly that you found my statement to be ROTFL laughable. That was unnecessary.

The OP referred to a very specific type of pizza in the opening post—that is, New Haven style pizza. It is beyond dispute that if a person asks if they can get that type of pie in WDW, or, where they can at least approximate that type of pie, offering them the option of a deep-dish Chicago pie would be like offering someone a roast chicken when they have requested fried chicken. Both are good. But one is not a substitute for the other.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #41
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Okay, that's enough about whether a pizza counts as a pie or which pizza or whether it has to be thick or whatever. Let's stick to how the pizza at WDW is, this is not the place for regional pizza wars.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #42
Doc Goofy
Mouseketeer

Bad pizza? What's that?

Talking about pizza always gets the Chicago peeps and the New York peeps going! Lol Here in Arkansas, we think even "bad" pizza is better than no pizza. Heck, I even like Pizza Hut.
Doc Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #43
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletFire
I ate at Frank Pepe's and Sally's last summer; nothing compares in WDW. If you want to try some good Chicago Pie, Giordano's is off property but very close.

http://www.giordanos.com/index.html

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Second this!
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: