Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #91
Dizisfun
Mouseketeer

I never told my kids that there was NO Santa....they managed to figure it out on there own. And I don't believe that any of my kids have had this talk with my grandchildren. But the older ones have all figured it out. I do however make my 23 year old son, who is not married and has no children of his own, play the game with me. He still HAS to BELIEVE or I threaten to hold his gifts from him.....He enjoys the game as much as I do, even though he will pretend that he doesn't.

Just like my 9 year old granddaughter knows that there is no tooth fairy, but she will still put her tooth under her pillow bc she knows that each tooth is worth $5..... (my kids only got .50)
Old 10-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #92
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

Wow - All those who don't ever tell the kids outright must have very un-inquisitive kids. I am not a good liar so really never 'played up' Santa (getting different wrapping paper, using different writing, that darn elf thing). But for a long time when my kids would kind of question it - I wouldn't outright tell them but would defer the question like 'Well, what do you think?'. Of course, that only lasts so long - kids get too smart and realize that I'm not answering at all.

DD said when she was 5 about the Tooth Fairy 'Mom...YES or NO, did YOU put the money under brother's pillow?'. So obviously at some point you either have to lie to such direct questions or fess up. And I'm not a huge fan of the lying.

Kids are 10 and 9 now....and my 10 year old has been on the fence for a couple of years but still will mention 'Santa' on occassion...So after Easter last spring I told him the truth. I did not want him to accidentally mention Santa or Easter Bunny or anything in Middle School. And he's a bit socially immature so it was a possibility. No way I would ever forgive myself if he came home from school in tears and had been picked on due to a lie I've been telling him for 10 years.

When I told him, he was upset. He kind of knew already but he was honestly more upset that I've been decieving him for years.

I'm very happy I told him. And yes, I didn't just say 'it's mom and dad' I did the whole 'It's the spirit of Christmas that really is Santa and people giving of themselves at that time of year....etc.'
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #93
chigirl
DIS Veteran

Depressing.

My 2 teens still leave cookies out for Santa for the spirit of the thing and the gifts do NOT arrive under the tree until Christmas Eve night, after everyone is in bed...there is still a thrill of finding a room full of gifts on Christmas morning!
chigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #94
Dizisfun
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chigirl View Post
Depressing.

My 2 teens still leave cookies out for Santa for the spirit of the thing and the gifts do NOT arrive under the tree until Christmas Eve night, after everyone is in bed...there is still a thrill of finding a room full of gifts on Christmas morning!

HAHAHA...we do the same thing at our house. And it's just the 23 year old left at home. It's about the MAGIC of it all.....

Even after the kids knew there was no santa they played the game bc they didn't want to spoil the Magic
Old 10-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #95
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

I never came out and told my two girls. My mom never told any of us (I'm the youngest of 9) Christmas was a huge deal in our home filled with all kinds of traditions including "Santa gifts" and that didn't end once we each figured it out on our own and as I got older, I didn't mind one bit. When I had my girls, I continued a lot of the same traditions and as they got older and began to ask me, I always answered as my mom did with "it's all in what you believe" and we then talked about the spirit of Christmas, etc. When they'd ask me if I still believed, I'd always answer that I believed in the spirit of Christmas. Now, I never gave all the credit to Santa either. In our house, the gifts from Santa were wrapped in special Santa paper and only put out on Xmas eve after they went to bed. All the rest of the gifts were from Mommy & Daddy, were wrapped and put under the tree days leading up to Xmas. My girls are now 18 & 14 and while they definitely know there is no Santa (they did figure it out on their own), they still expect to see gifts from Santa on Christmas morning and have expressed their disappointment if "Santa" ever stopped coming to our house....lol.

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #96
Figment1983
Mouseketeer

I was the same way about Santa coming. When I would come home from college for xmas I still wanted the presents to be put there overnight. My parents wanted to just put the presents out as they got them, but part of the magic is waking up xmas morning and seeing what Santa brought. It's more about the tradition and fun of it than anything. I love putting out cookies, milk, raindeer food, and everything to do with it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: