Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #736
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless Knight View Post
I know this feeling well. Most recently for about all of August 2012. There were many, many times when I questioned why I signed up for not one, but 2 1/2 marathons in 2012. I also thought that the Wine & Dine 1/2 would be my final 1/2 ever. But then the Disneyland 1/2 came.

First, let me share some backstory. My first 1/2, the Disneyland 2011 was a very challenging experience. Nerves, adrenaline, and internal pressure got the best of me and I did too much too, too soon and wound up with severe shin splints less than 0.5 miles into the race. I literally knew I could not continue another 1/4 mile in this kind of pain, let alone 13. My options were drop out now or walk the whole thing. No running whatsoever. So I started walking, hoping that I had trained truly fast enough to do this.

Shortly after exiting Disneyland, we hit an overpass. And my legs hurt all over from this tiny overpass, but I thought of my Mormon pioneer ancestors who fled religious persecution to cross the American plains and kept going. I just kept walking, fueled on by dreams of walking around Disneyland later that day with my medal for finishing. Which eventually, I did coming in at 3:05 something. I was exhausted, but it felt amazing walking around Disneyland, tired and everything with my medal.

Now for this year. I was more confident, but nervous as this would make or break my planned visit to WDW in November. For whatever reason, I enjoyed the race so much more this time. Maybe it was taking time to see some characters, maybe it was knowing to not go too fast too early, but I really enjoyed this one a lot more. My time for 2012 was 3:07:51, but that includes the 10+ minutes for character photos and a bathroom break. And I felt so much better physically.

At least for me, on the long runs I like to think about where I'll be at Disney on race day at the corresponding mile. And I keep thinking of walking around the parks with 3 medals this time.
I just wanted to say thank you all so much for the supportive stories and encouragement. I'm finally starting to feel better and starting to wonder if it wasn't the run that made me feel so sick after all. I think my biggest fear is that I stupidly tied this race to my DH's and I 10th anniversary celebration and we are staying until Tuesday after the race. I don't mind feeling awful for several days at home after a training run (it's not fun, but I can deal with it). But I didn't want to spend the only two days we have after the race to enjoy Disney feeling sick. I think I'll try slowing down as much as I can stand (I truly do push myself probably more than I should) and try to convince myself that it's about enjoying the fun of the run, and not my finish time. A very good friend of mine is running with me and we weren't gonig to run together because I run mostly and she run/walks intervals. But maybe I'll go with her after all and just try to relax and enjoy her company!

OH - And I am VERY glad we didn't have to run the W&D 1/2 last weekend. I'm really hoping for great cool weather in November and none of that "R" stuff falling out of the sky (I refuse to say the word or even think about it til I see the forecast!)

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel

Last edited by Figment1990; 10-02-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added weather comment
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #737
Sleepless Knight
Jedi Knight Seeking His Jedi Princess
There's a time and a place for each

You're welcome. I received so much encouragement from so many racers before my first 1/2 last year. I hope I can do the same now.

I remember talking to a girl at Disneyland who said she wanted to do the 1/2 someday, but never could. I smiled and told her that I used to think the same thing.

In my opinion, if you've put in the time and training, barring serious injury, you will finish the race successfully.

Now, just think of how great it will feel when you enjoy your 10th anniversary with that medal around your neck or back in your room.
Sleepless Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #738
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post
I just wanted to say thank you all so much for the supportive stories and encouragement. I'm finally starting to feel better and starting to wonder if it wasn't the run that made me feel so sick after all. I think my biggest fear is that I stupidly tied this race to my DH's and I 10th anniversary celebration and we are staying until Tuesday after the race. I don't mind feeling awful for several days at home after a training run (it's not fun, but I can deal with it). But I didn't want to spend the only two days we have after the race to enjoy Disney feeling sick. I think I'll try slowing down as much as I can stand (I truly do push myself probably more than I should) and try to convince myself that it's about enjoying the fun of the run, and not my finish time. A very good friend of mine is running with me and we weren't gonig to run together because I run mostly and she run/walks intervals. But maybe I'll go with her after all and just try to relax and enjoy her company!

OH - And I am VERY glad we didn't have to run the W&D 1/2 last weekend. I'm really hoping for great cool weather in November and none of that "R" stuff falling out of the sky (I refuse to say the word or even think about it til I see the forecast!)
For my first half at the Tink this year I was very worried for the same reason... the race was Saturday morning and we were not flying out until Sunday night, so I needed to be able to move around after. At the suggestion of some friends I went out and bought compression leggings that go to my knees and tried them out on my long runs before the race. I loooooove them now and will absolutely be running in them for the race! The soreness in my legs doesn't seem to happen when I am wearing them, and I wore them around after the race as well - all day and on my flight the next day - and had no issues whatsoever. It all comes down to training in the end of course - I ran up to my 8 miler without them and had no issues this time but wore them for my 9.5 and 11 this past weekend *just in case*. YMMV of course, but they might be worth a go if you can find a pair!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #739
Nole95
Mouseketeer

How many corrals are there in these races? Both my wife and I have estimated finish times of 2:20 and 2:30 respectively, so I am wondering what corral that might get us placed in.
Nole95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #740
kandaf
DIS Dad's Club Member #686

Quote:

It sound like you might be a little dehydrated after your training runs. You might want to try "NUUN" tablets in your water. They are electrolyte tablets that you just put in your water bottle. They have all sorts of flavors (I like strawberry lemonade). Shot blocks are good for energy during the long runs but you really need to consider hydration and electrolyte replacement separately. Just drinking water will actually reduce the concentration of the electrolytes remaining in your body.
kandaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #741
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Kandaf and AquaDame - great ideas! I'm going to go look into both. I have always shied away from anything other than water because I thought I had a sensitive stomach, but perhaps it's the other way around...

I have been using a Gatorade recovery drink (the chocolate milk protein one) after my run. Could that be causing my issues? I thought that would help.

Has anyone used the Accelerade stuff that Jeff Galloway recommends?

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel

Last edited by Figment1990; 10-02-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Added questions
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #742
mking624
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Kandaf and AquaDame - great ideas! I'm going to go look into both. I have always shied away from anything other than water because I thought I had a sensitive stomach, but perhaps it's the other way around...

I have been using a Gatorade recovery drink (the chocolate milk protein one) after my run. Could that be causing my issues? I thought that would help.

Has anyone used the Accelerade stuff that Jeff Galloway recommends?
Anything you consume before, during, or after a run could be the culprit. It really is trial and error. A product being called "recovery" doesn't necessarily mean it will help YOU recover. I, personally, couldn't handle the Gatorade recovery drinks...it is too heavy for me post run. But regular Gatorade, or even smartwater (which has electrolytes in it), is ok for me.
; 9/07 - PC, free dining, & MNSSHP;
11/08 - PC & MVMCP
; 6/09 - AKV; 9/10 - POFQ & free dining
9/11 - POFQ, free dining & NOJ/MNSSHP; 10/11 - ASMu & Halloween 5K; 4/12 - Disneyland;
11/12 - ASMu, free dining, and Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon; 5/13 - Disneyland/GC; 5/14 - AKV/PC
mking624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #743
What would Walt do
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandaf View Post
It sound like you might be a little dehydrated after your training runs. You might want to try "NUUN" tablets in your water. They are electrolyte tablets that you just put in your water bottle. They have all sorts of flavors (I like strawberry lemonade). Shot blocks are good for energy during the long runs but you really need to consider hydration and electrolyte replacement separately. Just drinking water will actually reduce the concentration of the electrolytes remaining in your body.
Kandaf - I was wondering if it could be a hydration issue. I did my 11M run last night because it rained so hard on sunday (I'm a rain wimp) and was feeling much the same way as Figment1990 after my run - queasy & awful afterward but with the addition of a calf muscle cramp from mile 9 on - and I'm pretty sure its because I wasn't hydrated properly.

Powerade is usually the available drink at runDisney races - is it not?
I'm thinking I should start packing that along on my runs. Anyone know what flavor they usually have?
What would Walt do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #744
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by What would Walt do View Post
Kandaf - I was wondering if it could be a hydration issue. I did my 11M run last night because it rained so hard on sunday (I'm a rain wimp) and was feeling much the same way as Figment1990 after my run - queasy & awful afterward but with the addition of a calf muscle cramp from mile 9 on - and I'm pretty sure its because I wasn't hydrated properly.

I'm thinking I should start packing that along on my runs. Anyone know what flavor they usually have?
Since PowerAde is a Coke product, runDisney uses it. Usually its yellow. Occasionally I have seen blue or red. Mostly yellow. Perhaps a staining issue?

Sometimes it tastes really strong sometimes very diluted.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #745
Qltrgrl2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole95 View Post
How many corrals are there in these races? Both my wife and I have estimated finish times of 2:20 and 2:30 respectively, so I am wondering what corral that might get us placed in.
With those expected finish times, I would guess you would be in corral B. However, you did need to show proof of those expected times with your registration. Be sure to bring proof with you to the Expo, either a 10k race or longer, if you did not include that with your registration. Happy training...only 5 weeks until we race!
Qltrgrl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #746
Nole95
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qltrgrl2 View Post
With those expected finish times, I would guess you would be in corral B. However, you did need to show proof of those expected times with your registration. Be sure to bring proof with you to the Expo, either a 10k race or longer, if you did not include that with your registration. Happy training...only 5 weeks until we race!
I did send in proof over the summer from our 10K races, and received confirmation back from RunDisney of our new estimated finish times. So I guess we are all set.
Nole95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #747
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Hi everybody! New Disney runner here and super excited about my first W&D Half. Running it with my DH and plan on not watching the clock but the characters and meeting lots of fellow "Disney Dorks" as I call myself. Was following Galloway's training to the letter until about a month ago when I started having bad knee pain. Tried to run through it, but finally gave in and went to the ortho. Turns out I have cartilage degeneration and the start of arthritis! (At the ripe old age of 44 mind you)! BUT, I'm not giving up! Ordered a megabrace for some support, hitting the Tylenol arthritis and the ice packs, and if I end up having to walk the whole darn thing (which REALLY stinks as my mile time was sub 9 minutes at last check), then so be it. I already have my patriotic Team Sparkle outfit ready to go and just figuring out how to finish up my training without being able to put in the same kind of mileage. Any training tips from the veterans out there will be GREATLY appreciated, so thanks!!

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #748
kandaf
DIS Dad's Club Member #686

Quote:
Originally Posted by What would Walt do View Post

It sounds like a great idea to me to try running with Powerade if that is what they have available during the half. As some one said earlier, it really is trial and error to find out what works for you. I also would not try anything new during the actual half. I have been training with NUUN tablets in my water bottles and Orange Vanilla GU gel. I will carry these with me during the half because I know it works for me. Just keep trying new combinations til you find what works for you and your body.
kandaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #749
What would Walt do
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qltrgrl2

What exactly constitutes "proof"?
I'm registered for a 10k in a few weeks. Mostly trying to get some more race experience to reduce the jitters I always get. I've been doing 10 k in training in over an hour(1:08) Is that fast enough to get me into one of the earlier corrals? Or is that still going to put me at the back of the pack?
My only goal for the Wine & Dine is to finish in time to make it to the party. But my nightmare scenario is getting a muscle cramp, walking and being swept. An earlier corral might be just the insurance I need.
What would Walt do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #750
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I have a lot of problems with nausea after long runs. I have found a couple of things help me. I take endurolytes before and during the runs. I am a huge salt sweater and end a run covered in salt.

I usually eat something salty right when I finish--it might sound weird, but a small serving of potato chips tastes great to me. I can't have regular pretzels cause of the gluten, or I would probably eat them.

I avoid anything that is even a little acidy, including gatorade (unless it is watered down) and any kind of fruit gel or chew. I can tolerate the gu peanut butter flavor pretty well and watered down gatorade.

I also avoid any kind of dairy product for a couple of hours after my run. Dairy seems to just curdle in my stomach after long runs, though I don't usually have problems with it.

Experiment, it is definitely something that is fixable. I used to feel cruddy for hours and hours after long runs. It was very unfun. I am hoping with this new strategy to actually enjoy the W&D party for the first time.

And btw heads up for everyone, someone might have already said this, but you cannot (at least as of earlier this year) get gatorade anywhere on property, including at the Hess. We forgot to order it from Garden Grocer last time. So if anyone wants gatorade to carry with them, you have to bring it along.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: