DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #61
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbumpirates

Pakey - can I ask your opinion since you are there now? We are not DVC Members - I booked thru AA Vacations for Oct 12 arrival. AA has offered to move us to another hotel due to the construction and the fact that they cannot credit us the 2 nights. Would you stay at Aulani with the construction? Or let them move us to another property in Waikiki? I appreciate your opinions. Thanks and enjoy!
Right now the construction is minimal. I would have been happy with my stay even without getting 2 nights back in points. However, I spoke with a CM and the expansion of the adult pool area will start in October. Once that starts, I would imagine the noise at the family pool (which is next to adult pool) and the spa garden area (which is in front of adult pool) could be worse. I also think those staying with views on outside of the wing will hear it from balconies.

Also, the Marriott next door was starting some outside work yesterday that was a bit noisy while at the adult pool (not sure if it would be heard elsewhere). I have no idea if it was a one day project of if they are renovating too.

We are adults only so my opinion is from that slant. The family pool and kids' section are very good and will be fully open. However, as adults only, we have stayed at better resorts. The beach area at Aulani is better than Waikiki because it's never crowded. So I think my decision to stay at Aulani or move to another resort would depend on what my vacation plans were and what my other resort options were. I've been to Hawaii many times so I spend most time at resort now.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #62
wdrl
DIS Veteran

There is an article on the DVCNews showing some of the construction occurring at Aulani this week. Click here to jump to the article.
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #63
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

Well, due to a back pain issue that has temporarily left me in a wheelchair, I have had to cancel my Aulani stay for next month--so I guess the construction won't bother me after all. Hopefully I'll be up and around soon, and can look at rebooking next February or March. (Won't get two free nights' points though=--rats!)

toocherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #64
msbatchelor5
Mouseketeer

Construction in Oct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
Right now the construction is minimal. I would have been happy with my stay even without getting 2 nights back in points. However, I spoke with a CM and the expansion of the adult pool area will start in October. Once that starts, I would imagine the noise at the family pool (which is next to adult pool) and the spa garden area (which is in front of adult pool) could be worse. I also think those staying with views on outside of the wing will hear it from balconies.

Also, the Marriott next door was starting some outside work yesterday that was a bit noisy while at the adult pool (not sure if it would be heard elsewhere). I have no idea if it was a one day project of if they are renovating too.

We are adults only so my opinion is from that slant. The family pool and kids' section are very good and will be fully open. However, as adults only, we have stayed at better resorts. The beach area at Aulani is better than Waikiki because it's never crowded. So I think my decision to stay at Aulani or move to another resort would depend on what my vacation plans were and what my other resort options were. I've been to Hawaii many times so I spend most time at resort now.

When you say kids section are you hearing that the splash pad will be open in October too or just the pool, lazy river, and water slide?

Thank you!
msbatchelor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #65
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocherie View Post
Well, due to a back pain issue that has temporarily left me in a wheelchair, I have had to cancel my Aulani stay for next month--so I guess the construction won't bother me after all. Hopefully I'll be up and around soon, and can look at rebooking next February or March. (Won't get two free nights' points though=--rats!)
Sorry to hear you have to postpone your trip Cheryl. I hope you feel better soon.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #66
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocherie View Post
Hope you are feeling better soon. Maybe you can be there in February with us! We just got a lovely welcome packet from Aulani for our Feb. visit. Oh, and no mention at all of any construction during our stay.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #67
wdrl
DIS Veteran

DVCNews.com has another article about construction projects at Aulani that will be starting in October. Click here to jump to the article.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #68
tguy47
Dis veteran

"Lucky" the sea turtle

One of the highlights of our trip last January was our daily swims with Lucky, the turtle, in the cove in front of Aulani. The biologists at the sting ray area named him Lucky because he's missing a fin and they presumed he survived a shark attack. She said he's become a permanent resident. Is Lucky still there? For that matter are the biologists still there with the sting ray area closing? We're hoping to go back and visit Lucky again.

I can't figure out how to post pictures but we got some great ones from swimming and snorkeling with him every day.
tguy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #69
wdrl
DIS Veteran

The Makai Preserve, which has the Sting Experience, is closing permanently in early October. In its place, Aulani will have a new kids' splash zone. We talked to one of the animal keepers at the Makai Preserve and he said that the sting rays will be moved to new homes shortly.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #70
Beachbumpirates
Mouseketeer

Great news - thought I would share. Starlit Hui resumes this evening in it's new location. YAY!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #71
RSHale
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbumpirates View Post
Great news - thought I would share. Starlit Hui resumes this evening in it's new location. YAY!
Thanks for the news. I was hoping this would be back in time for my trip in a couple of weeks. Do you know if this is still on Monday and Thursday evenings?
RSHale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #72
WestCoastMama
Mouseketeer

That is fantastic news! We'll be there the week of Oct. 21. So relieved!

Aulani Resort 10/2012
Disneyland Hotel 12/2011
Wonder Mexican Riviera 10/2011
WDW Port Orleans December 2010
Disneyland Resort Countless Times
WDW Caribbean Resort August 1992
WestCoastMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #73
dstupper
@dstupper

We live minutes away, and just spent the day over the hob-nobin around and enjoying ourselves. Its absolutely amazing, and all they are doing is improving it. The buffet is getting a covered lani, and the adult area is going to be replaced by more kids areas. Sorry to you adults who liked that peaceful area...boon to parents that want an option. bottom line, the quiet side just was unused compared to the rest of the resort...so Disney saw it as unused space. Disney is spending money making this an even better place to visit and take advantage of. Let me know if you are comming, lets have a glass of wine at the Olelo bar!!

Live in Kapolei HI, Love spoiling my 5 year old Princess
dstupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #74
DisWitt
Fan of Disney 1.0 - aka Disneyland

I just returned from a week in Aulani and boy was DVC generous to comp us 2 nights! Seriously, the construction next door at the JW was FAR noisier and an eyesore than anything Disney was doing... Now that may change, but that's the size of it last week. Heck, I even saw the lanai (off Oleo Room / Makahiki) workers putting strange boxes atop the corners of their metal patio cover. I couldn't figure out what they'd theme these boxes into. Then, the next day they moved. Turns out, Disney has its welders work on the joints under these "hoods" so people don't see/hear/smell the welding and grinding! Now that's classy!

FYI, the JW is currently closed for 3 months of renovation. Their workers are busy building another pool out front and redoing all of the balconies somehow. Lots of jackhammering from there. I'm glad they are coinciding with the Aulani construction! Good news: the lagoon has virtually nobody other than Aulani guests.

Last week, too, the sting rays were all removed and the shade cover to their habitat was removed too.

One major hint, too, as they prep the old Hui lawn for a pool, check out the cabanas before reserving one. Last week, a worker was jack hammering the light and audio pole footings just 6' from cabanas people paid lots of $$ for. That was lame.

BTW- the Wailana Pool is not an adult pool, nor a quiet pool. It is secluded and hardly used. That's a great thing for those in the know. It also doesn't have lifeguards. But it is open to all and a VERY nice place to be out of the sun for much of the day, too (except it gets more noise from the JW construction than anywhere now)

Aulani Owner since 7/2010
DisWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #75
dstupper
@dstupper

DisWitt, you make a great point! We were at the beach today, and it was ALL Aulani guests! It was sooo relaxing! Tip for locals, the beach cabanas are only $18 for half a day (DVC discount) Have lunch @ Aulani, get one of those, and it comes with beach toys!

Live in Kapolei HI, Love spoiling my 5 year old Princess
dstupper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: