Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
stayhomemom77
Dieting my way to Disney!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
I'm far from perfect (hey, I'm one of the DISers who admits to having <gasp> a student who does poorly!) and there's no mind control involved. I just don't think basic respect is too much to ask of the kids, even as teens. But I also don't think that our parenting successes are of our own making; a big part of the credit goes to the fact that all three of my kids are quite laid-back by nature.

If I took the stance that I was the boss and whatever I say goes I wouldn't blame my kid for being a PITA! We're a family of 5 - we blow a load of money on EVERY vacation we take and there just aren't that many places that we are all excited to see. If we only traveled by unanimous agreement on a destination or activity we'd never go anywhere. So we have a system of informally taking turns choosing the destinations. Sometimes that means DS14 has to suck it up and tolerate Disney (something he enjoys a lot more now that he's old enough to go his own way a bit), sometimes it means DD11 has to deal with a cabin in the woods when she'd rather be in a nice resort, and sometimes it means I get to be bored senseless hanging out with the preschooler in the kiddie area while the big kids explore a museum or tackle some adventure like zip lining.

I'm with you. My kids are 9 and 7 so Disney is still a much loved vacation for them but this past summer we took a three week driving tour of the west coast and they didn't love Yellowstone and were mad we didn't hit every children's museum that each city on our tour had to offer.

I told them to suck it up. Dad really wanted to go to Yellowstone and see the aircraft carrier museum in San Diego but wasn't terribly excited about Disneyland. I loathed Legoland and the San Diego Safari Park but had a great time at the Grand Canyon and the Disney area. We didn't complain and we expected the same from the kids. Sometimes they still were unhappy but sometimes they found they were having fun in spite of themselves.

Family fun sometimes involved compromises.

To the OP...if it were me, I would talk to the two youngest about the reasons they don't want to go and offer whatever solutions seem reasonable to make the trip more appealing to them. Some good suggestions have already been posted. I would also push the "onsite" angle. If they've never done it before...it might make it a whole different trip this time around. That's how our family felt our first time staying onsite.

If after this they still REALLY don't want to go, I would have a family conclave to decide what to do. I personally wouldn't want to go on a trip with only part of my family but I'd have a hard time giving up Disney for Vermont (as lovely as that state is).

Good luck! I hope you come to a resolution that works for the entire family.
stayhomemom77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: