Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
loricdietzel
Mouseketeer

Random questions from a cruise newbie

Hi! I apologize if these were answered somewhere. I did not see them!

1. DD (4) has a bagillion princess dresses. Ok, 4 but close enough!) To keep them from getting glitter everywhere and getting all wrinkly I was thinking of putting them all together in one garment bag. Can I do that for the cruise and check it on with the luggage or would I have to carry it on? I do not want to carry a garment bag all morning, so if that is my only option what other suggestions does anyone have? I would def. keep them covered due to the glitter factor.

2. We have an autograph book (an encyclopedia of characters) that we are bringing with. My children will enjoy this more than signed pillow cases, picture frames, etc. at their age. Is it better to turn it in to guest services (with a little treat! ) or keep it with us? I know there will be meet and greats, but I also don't want to miss any opportunities so we would probably keep it with us (and it is bulky and heavy) because my daughter would be disappointed if we missed someone (if we had possession of the book.) Do the characters from the villains show sign autographs? I know they don't have meet and greets. If we give the book to guest services do you think these types of characters will sign too? Just trying to figure out which is best. (I know what I hope the answer is!! I loathe autograph books!!!)

3. Has anyone left their passports with someone at guest services recently to have them stamped at Nassau and NOT had them stamped? I have seen opinions to do that while I have also read to take them into Nassau yourself to have stamped. Since this is the first trip out of country for both our children we would like to have their passports stamped.

Thank you!!!!
loricdietzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

You can check any sort of garment bag with the porters and have it delivered to your cabin.

Your choice, but I'd keep the autograph book--more exciting to get it signed "in person."

I don't know about Nassau, but they refused to stamp them in Canada.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
loricdietzel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Your choice, but I'd keep the autograph book--more exciting to get it signed "in person."

Yes, we had plenty of this "excitement" last year at WDW! (Thus why I no longer like autograph books!!!) We are going to the world for a week after the cruise, so the kids will get more autographs in person then (especially because we have FIVE character meals!) I think my kids will be happy enough with pictures and if I explain about leaving the book for the characters to sign later dd will be ok and won't mind. (ds is just shy of 2. He won't care.) I would really rather *not* lug the thing around if I don't have to because it won't be dd (4) carrying it or even dh. It will be me!
loricdietzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
GBChicinMaine
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricdietzel View Post
Hi! I apologize if these were answered somewhere. I did not see them!

1. DD (4) has a bagillion princess dresses. Ok, 4 but close enough!) To keep them from getting glitter everywhere and getting all wrinkly I was thinking of putting them all together in one garment bag. Can I do that for the cruise and check it on with the luggage or would I have to carry it on? I do not want to carry a garment bag all morning, so if that is my only option what other suggestions does anyone have? I would def. keep them covered due to the glitter factor.

2. We have an autograph book (an encyclopedia of characters) that we are bringing with. My children will enjoy this more than signed pillow cases, picture frames, etc. at their age. Is it better to turn it in to guest services (with a little treat! ) or keep it with us? I know there will be meet and greats, but I also don't want to miss any opportunities so we would probably keep it with us (and it is bulky and heavy) because my daughter would be disappointed if we missed someone (if we had possession of the book.) Do the characters from the villains show sign autographs? I know they don't have meet and greets. If we give the book to guest services do you think these types of characters will sign too? Just trying to figure out which is best. (I know what I hope the answer is!! I loathe autograph books!!!)

3. Has anyone left their passports with someone at guest services recently to have them stamped at Nassau and NOT had them stamped? I have seen opinions to do that while I have also read to take them into Nassau yourself to have stamped. Since this is the first trip out of country for both our children we would like to have their passports stamped.

Thank you!!!!
If you don't want to put the princess dresses in a separate bag, I've seen a couple of suggestions that involve the giant ziploc bags. Pack each dress in a giant ziploc, partially close the top and roooooollllll the dress up until the air is out and then seal it. The dress will pack flat (and relatively wrinkle-free!), your clothes will stay glitter free, and you don't have to worry about taking an additional bag for 4 princess dresses!

I can't help you on the autograph book deal. When we started going to Disney my stepkids were too old for it. But, if it's big/bulky and a pain in the neck to drag about, I'd leave it with guest services.

I believe you can leave your passports with guest services and they'll have them stamped for you? Don't quote me on that, but I believe that's still the case.

Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamian Cruise - 9/11/11
Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamian Cruise - 9/24/09
Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamian Cruise - 2/21/08
Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamian Cruise - 5/3/07
Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamian Cruise - 1/11/07
GBChicinMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
CSHaydt
Mouseketeer

Have a blast

1. Definitely put them in a separate bag - just make sure you have one of your state room labels on it and it will get to you.

2. My DS7 loves his autograph book as well but it is bulky and a pain to carry all the time. What we did was i took a pad of plain paper with us in our every day bag; when we were going places and a sharpie for misc. spontaneous autographs. Then i let him decorate the page in the book and paste the autograph in. That seriously only happened like once the whole trip. We just made a point of standing in line and got the autographs he wanted. We mostly did the evening ones and took the book with us to dinner for pre and post characters. If she likes the princesses... get in line early - same thing for pirate night! We missed pirate mickey but got goofy and donald.

3. Sorry can't help you with the passport stuff.
CSHaydt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricdietzel View Post
I say keep the autograph book with you. You don't need to carry it around all day every day, but definitely for scheduled meet & greets. If you leave it at guest services, the only options there are the standard "Mickey & Friends" (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Goofy and Pluto, and possibly Chip&Dale) and/or the "princesses" (Cinderella, Snow White, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, and Tiana). I'm not sure who's in your "encyclopedia" but you'd have a much better chance of getting the odd-character autograph if you have the book rather than leaving it at Guest Services. There may be some unannounced opportunities and/or unannounced characters who appear on any given day in various locations. My DD got several in this manner - Max, Lilo, Stitch and a couple others (i'm drawing a blank at the moment).

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: