Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #16
bob100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateNLogansDad View Post
So I'm thinking of diving into the wonderful world of 2.8 lenses but I'm pretty torn on what would give me the best bang for the buck. After reading some of Tom's Blog a while back, I had my eye on.....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0mm_f_2_8.html

But after a little web browsing, I keep reading about the same lens without the VC and how it's supposed to be a much sharper lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._XR_Di_II.html

So I have come to you, my dis friends in search for some opinions that actually matter. What would you do? Sacrifice the VC for a higher IQ? Opt for the stabilization? Go with a different manufacturer like Sigma?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689623-REG/Sigma_583306_17_50mm_F2_8_EX_DC.html

Or just sell my camera and take up golf again?

Thanks guys. I have a little bit of time to make up my mind but it's starting to stress me out!

you read good things about the Tamron non-vc because it's sharper wide open (f2.8) than the other zooms
see www.photozone.de
or
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...0&LensComp=398

But if I was buying an f2.8 zoom for a crop model and had a budget of $700 I would seriously look at the Sigma 17-50 2.8 HSM OS EX
bob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero
No parking baby, No parking on the dance floor

Quote:
I looked it up on Youtube and holy crap!!! That would drive me insane every time I touched the shutter! I never even thought about looking on youtube for things like that! Thanks soooo much
I really dont notice the noise and my ears pick up things like that.
Only time I think its noticeable is when its really hunting back and forth in a totally quiet surroundings. Outside, I really dont notice it at all.
Shutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #18
NateNLogansDad
Still Wish'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
I really dont notice the noise and my ears pick up things like that.
Only time I think its noticeable is when its really hunting back and forth in a totally quiet surroundings. Outside, I really dont notice it at all.
I can see it being not too bad outside. There's been quite a few times where I'm taking pictures either in a church or during a school play and it's totally silent. The Tamron would force my wife to plunge a fork into my leg in those cases
NateNLogansDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #19
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can see it being not too bad outside. There's been quite a few times where I'm taking pictures either in a church or during a school play and it's totally silent. The Tamron would force my wife to plunge a fork into my leg in those cases
My issue is that my kids usually run and hide when I get the camera out. My greatest weapon is the element of surprise. No way could I sneak up on them with that lens!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #20
NateNLogansDad
Still Wish'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
My issue is that my kids usually run and hide when I get the camera out. My greatest weapon is the element of surprise. No way could I sneak up on them with that lens!
Love it!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #21
NateNLogansDad
Still Wish'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS3 View Post
These are shot with the Sigma. I think they're pretty sharp.

Building a Castle of Dreams by Harry Shields, on Flickr

My Princess Kitty by Harry Shields, on Flickr
Just wanted to follow up, between these 2 pictures and the noise issue with the Tamron, I am now the proud owner of a new Sigma 17-50 2.8. Just wanted to say Thanks Everybody!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #22
handicap18
Husband, father of 3, and Disney addict
Keep the game flowin and keep the people participating

To late, but I would have voted for the Tamron (non-VC). Super sharp and excellent focus in low light. I used the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 and was VERY disappointed. It had some back focus issues (which I was able to fix with my camera body) and it was awful when trying to focus in low light conditions.

I did a wedding 2 years ago at a restaurant that had high dark ceiling, dark walls and small lights. The atmosphere was great, but the Sigma was almost useless. I had so many problems getting it to focus. Luckily I also has the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I put that lens on and never had a focus issue the rest of the night. It focused fast and was tack sharp. It almost never left my camera until I bought the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8.

When I bought the Tamron I also looked at the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and the reviews for it weren't no way near as good as for the Tamron.

Good luck with yours. (BTW I do love my Sigma 10-20mm and 30mm f/1.4)
Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
handicap18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #23
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Congrats on the Sigma! I hope you have a blast using it and I look forward to seeing some of your photos.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #24
NateNLogansDad
Still Wish'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by handicap18 View Post
To late, but I would have voted for the Tamron (non-VC). Super sharp and excellent focus in low light. I used the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 and was VERY disappointed. It had some back focus issues (which I was able to fix with my camera body) and it was awful when trying to focus in low light conditions.

I did a wedding 2 years ago at a restaurant that had high dark ceiling, dark walls and small lights. The atmosphere was great, but the Sigma was almost useless. I had so many problems getting it to focus. Luckily I also has the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I put that lens on and never had a focus issue the rest of the night. It focused fast and was tack sharp. It almost never left my camera until I bought the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8.

When I bought the Tamron I also looked at the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and the reviews for it weren't no way near as good as for the Tamron.

Good luck with yours. (BTW I do love my Sigma 10-20mm and 30mm f/1.4)
Well..I'll let you know in a few days. I know I'll be able to play a bit during the day but night time gets tricky. I'm going to put it through its paces and make sure she's 100% before my 30 day return period expires.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #25
NateNLogansDad
Still Wish'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS3 View Post
Congrats on the Sigma! I hope you have a blast using it and I look forward to seeing some of your photos.
If history repeats itself, as it usually tends to do, I should be starting my 8,000 shot extravaganza in 28 more days when we head down to our Home Away From Home
Old 10-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #26
Hockeyman
It's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

I would have voted Tamron also. I picked up one up a few months back and love it. Havent tried out the Sigma so cant really compare the two.

WDW Annual pass holder - going since before I could even walk

On Site-Contemporary-Wilderness Lodge-POFQ-POR-Dolphin-All Star Sports-Pop-CBR-ASM

Universal Orlando Annual Pass holder since 2000
On Site-Hard Rock-Portofino Bay-Royal Pacific

Busch Gardens / Seaworld Annual Pass holder since 2007
Hockeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #27
Mexidoc
Earning My Ears

Just recently picked up the Tamron non vc. Did a lot of research and ended up very happy. Haven't been able to use at WDW but look forward to it. I can already see the parts of the park where wthis lens will be great. There was a reat article on Tom Bricker's Blog about this lens. I can't post the link but google disney tourist blog and its on the photography buying guide page. Lots of pics.Either way enjoy your trip and new lens.
Mexidoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: