Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #286
ForAandA
Tiggerlicious
 
ForAandA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 388

OP, I have gone through this personally. I am going to PM you. Sending tons of hugs your way.

That being said, please put a pin number or a lock on your cell phone. Your husband WILL try to get your phone and delete those messages. He brought it up in conversation, asking why you were keeping them. They are worrying him, he KNOWS his little wench is going to get into a heap of trouble for them. Do not put it past him. He will try to get that phone and delete evidence.

This is the hardest thing you will ever go through. I am not going to sugar coat it. It WILL get better though, I promise. Keep your head as level as possible, let him leave on his own. If he leaves, he is abandoning his home, and that will work in your favor.

I would also tell everyone under the sun. His parents, her parents, etc. I am spiteful like that
__________________
Kelly
Mom to 2 DD's
DH

ForAandA is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #287
courtneypumpkinroll
courtneypumpkinroll<3
 
courtneypumpkinroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kentucky, y'all!
Posts: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankgirl05 View Post
OP, I feel for you... I wish you strength and peace...

I'm not sure if this is the same state to state, but when I was preparing to leave my husband, my attorney advised me to take half of all of our liquid assets and put them into a single name account that he could not touch. He actually told me I could take alll the cash out if I wanted, since they were joint accounts and each of us had equal rights, but that would make me look nasty, so he suggested I just take half, before the ex got a hold of it. Also told me to take anything of any personal, emotional value out the day I leave, so as not to have to battle over it later. Start shipping things you would like to have to your parents. Or have them come visit and take things with them if you acn not leave immediately. I forgot a box of "highschool momentos" and did have to have it included in the divorce proceedings... jerk, like what would he want with my yearbooks, scrapbooks, trophies etc.???

I walked away from our house and everything we owned together, because in the end it was just "things" and my peace of mind was so much more important.

Like someone said, document everything, keep a notebook, with dates, conversations etc. If he wants to come to collect things, I suggest having a friend or neighbor over "for coffee" while he is going to be there so that you are not forced to engage in unpleasantness.

Best of luck to you.
Hey I know this is a really late response. I agree with this ^.
1. You don't deserve anything that is thrown your way right now.
2. Leaving always sucks simply because you think they will change. I have one thing to say, once a cheater, always a cheater. My mom has been cheated on one too many times. My father has done her dirty. It was either leave him and do what was better for her two kids even though it would be tough being a single mother, or make us all miserable and torture herself. She found an amazing man who stepped in and we now call our father and they had a baby together and we are a big happy family.
3. Get out as fast as you can because once he has something to get his way he will make your life a living hell.
4. I believe that something good, believe it or not, will come out of this. You need to get away from the stress. Being in that house will just suffocate you and fill you with stress, depression, and anger. None of which is good for your baby.
5. Don't fall for anything he says to get you back if that ever becomes an issue. Think about how bad this feels if it does. If he does it once, he will do it again.
He is not being a man, he is being a child. I believe that there is someone incredible who will love you and your son out there somewhere. But for now you need to think about what is best for you and your child.

Best of luck!
courtneypumpkinroll is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #288
ForAandA
Tiggerlicious
 
ForAandA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneypumpkinroll View Post
Hey I know this is a really late response. I agree with this ^.
1. You don't deserve anything that is thrown your way right now.
2. Leaving always sucks simply because you think they will change. I have one thing to say, once a cheater, always a cheater. My mom has been cheated on one too many times. My father has done her dirty. It was either leave him and do what was better for her two kids even though it would be tough being a single mother, or make us all miserable and torture herself. She found an amazing man who stepped in and we now call our father and they had a baby together and we are a big happy family.
3. Get out as fast as you can because once he has something to get his way he will make your life a living hell.
4. I believe that something good, believe it or not, will come out of this. You need to get away from the stress. Being in that house will just suffocate you and fill you with stress, depression, and anger. None of which is good for your baby.
5. Don't fall for anything he says to get you back if that ever becomes an issue. Think about how bad this feels if it does. If he does it once, he will do it again.
He is not being a man, he is being a child. I believe that there is someone incredible who will love you and your son out there somewhere. But for now you need to think about what is best for you and your child.

Best of luck!
Incredible first post. I couldn't have said it better myself.
__________________
Kelly
Mom to 2 DD's
DH

ForAandA is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #289
jodifla

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: South Florida & Motown
Posts: 10,613

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujube View Post
So it would be better for her to stay with a man who doesn't want her or her baby and who is dating a nutcase?
No, it's best to follow the advice of her doctor (who told her not to fly) and her attorney (who she will see Friday).

If I were OP I'd also ask her folks to check in with a Canadian lawyer, to see what he has to say about having the baby in Canada and her rights.

I'm not sure that it will really help her with the passport situation; I imagine Canada will have similar laws about obtaining a passport for a child.

Her best bet is sole custody and/or for him to terminate all his rights.
jodifla is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #290
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
No, it's best to follow the advice of her doctor (who told her not to fly) and her attorney (who she will see Friday).

If I were OP I'd also ask her folks to check in with a Canadian lawyer, to see what he has to say about having the baby in Canada and her rights.

I'm not sure that it will really help her with the passport situation; I imagine Canada will have similar laws about obtaining a passport for a child.

Her best bet is sole custody and/or for him to terminate all his rights.
Yes, but once she's *in* Canada, passport laws don't matter. That is why she should go now, before the baby is born.

Once that baby is born, she may be forced to stay in the US. Before the birth, she can go where she pleases and her piece o'excrement DH has no legal say in where she goes.
SaraJayne is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #291
lizabu
DIS Veteran
 
lizabu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,572

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbi801 View Post
I admit that I only have read through page 11, so I might of missed this, but another reason you need to go to Canada before your baby is born: Passports. Once your baby is born, I believe both parents would need to sign off on getting him a passport. And if he wants to be super obnoxious, he could refuse. Which would make it difficult to return to Canada.

I live in Canada and I got passports for my kids without their Father's signature but I have full custody and I had to show court papers proving it.

I think it's really important this child is born in Canada because if he is born in the US you might lose living in Canada with your child as an option. Or it will at least make things more complicated. If the child is born in Canada you could probably live either here or there. You will have more options. I would never suggest a pregnant woman go against her Doctors advice. You can ship your cats and belongings to your parents and take a train to your parents. They have really nice trains where you can have a cozy room where you can sleep and shower. At 7 months pregnant such a long trip requires some extra thought to comfort.

The insurance has to be sorted out. If you need to be in Canada 3 months that isn't going to work. Maybe your current insurance will cover you or as mentioned before there are companies that sell insurance for gap periods like this one.
lizabu is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #292
bankgirl05
DIS Veteran
 
bankgirl05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: southern NJ
Posts: 956

Still thinking of you...

Will your current insurance cover you if you are just on a "visit" out of the country? If you happen to go to your parents house for a visit, and stay for an extended period of time you may be able to have coverage this way.

I hope you are safe, and taking care of yourself.
bankgirl05 is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #293
jodifla

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: South Florida & Motown
Posts: 10,613

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Yes, but once she's *in* Canada, passport laws don't matter. That is why she should go now, before the baby is born.

Once that baby is born, she may be forced to stay in the US. Before the birth, she can go where she pleases and her piece o'excrement DH has no legal say in where she goes.
Unless she actually ever wants to go back to the U.S. She is a U.S. Citizen and has a life there. And a good job.

If it were me, I'd just wait for my lawyer to help me sort out the details. I'd also probably have BOTH my parents come stay with me, and hopefully chase him out.
jodifla is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #294
StephMK
DIS Veteran
 
StephMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: TBD
Posts: 4,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
I live in Canada and I got passports for my kids without their Father's signature but I have full custody and I had to show court papers proving it.

I think it's really important this child is born in Canada because if he is born in the US you might lose living in Canada with your child as an option. Or it will at least make things more complicated. If the child is born in Canada you could probably live either here or there. You will have more options. I would never suggest a pregnant woman go against her Doctors advice. You can ship your cats and belongings to your parents and take a train to your parents. They have really nice trains where you can have a cozy room where you can sleep and shower. At 7 months pregnant such a long trip requires some extra thought to comfort.

The insurance has to be sorted out. If you need to be in Canada 3 months that isn't going to work. Maybe your current insurance will cover you or as mentioned before there are companies that sell insurance for gap periods like this one.
I agree and hope your lawyer is able to give you advice. You definitely want to keep your options open and it sounds like having the child in Canada provides you more choices. Even if you don't want to think about down the road, at least protect your child by having him in Canada. Then if you decide you'd rather live in the US, you have that option.

Please be careful about sharing anything with your DH. I think things will go much smoother for you the less he knows. He may even try to be charming to get info out of you but please, please keep your son in mind and your safety. Sharing any of your plans or meetings will give him time and information to make his own plans. You want him in the dark as much as possible about what you might want to do while you figure things out.

Please take care of yourself.
__________________
DD DD DS
StephMK is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #295
jodifla

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: South Florida & Motown
Posts: 10,613

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
I live in Canada and I got passports for my kids without their Father's signature but I have full custody and I had to show court papers proving it.

I think it's really important this child is born in Canada because if he is born in the US you might lose living in Canada with your child as an option. Or it will at least make things more complicated. If the child is born in Canada you could probably live either here or there. You will have more options. I would never suggest a pregnant woman go against her Doctors advice. You can ship your cats and belongings to your parents and take a train to your parents. They have really nice trains where you can have a cozy room where you can sleep and shower. At 7 months pregnant such a long trip requires some extra thought to comfort.

The insurance has to be sorted out. If you need to be in Canada 3 months that isn't going to work. Maybe your current insurance will cover you or as mentioned before there are companies that sell insurance for gap periods like this one.

I'm curious what the reasoning is behind this. They'll have to do whatever a judge says, right?? If the judge says she needs to live near her husband to make joint custody, it won't matter that she returned to Canada.
jodifla is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #296
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg
 
punkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 12,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
I'm curious what the reasoning is behind this. They'll have to do whatever a judge says, right?? If the judge says she needs to live near her husband to make joint custody, it won't matter that she returned to Canada.
Let the DuH just try to assert custody over a Canadian citizen across an international border. It would be different if OP has the baby and then takes him to Canada...that's kidnapping, but if she takes her pregnant self, then it is up to DuH to go up to Canada and assert custody there. No Canadian Judge is EVER going to let DuH take the child out of the country.
__________________
“You don’t want coon dogs chasing squirrels!” Justice Antonin Scalia.
punkin is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #297
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
I'm curious what the reasoning is behind this. They'll have to do whatever a judge says, right?? If the judge says she needs to live near her husband to make joint custody, it won't matter that she returned to Canada.
The OP has dual citizenship. And it won't matter what a judge says, she is free to live wherever she pleases.
SaraJayne is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #298
abdmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,485

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
The OP has dual citizenship. And it won't matter what a judge says, she is free to live wherever she pleases.
She is free to live wherever she pleases. She is NOT free to take a U.S. minor out of the country without the other parent's consent.
abdmom is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #299
sandynd
Rookie Desperado
 
sandynd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 412

Exactly why the baby should be born in Canada, becoming a Canadian citizen. Then a U.S. judge will have no jurisdiction about where the child travels.
__________________
October 2013 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, OOP dining, extended due to car troubles - read my trip report!
January 2011 - POP, free QSDP - Daddy couldn't make it
May 2009 - CBR, DxDP, room! - DD's 7th birthday
December 1990 - One day in MGM Studios
sandynd is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #300
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdmom View Post
She is free to live wherever she pleases. She is NOT free to take a U.S. minor out of the country without the other parent's consent.
Which is exactly why so many are urging her to go now, before the baby is born.
SaraJayne is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: