Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > WISH Journals
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #31
Terapin
DIS Veteran

You are doing terrific! Way to go. Popeyes and all... LOL

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Terapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #32
SuperHappyFunTimes
RunDisney Races coming up: Wine & Dine, Glass Slipper Challenge, Tink

Today I RAN 3.16 miles at a 10:17 pace. I worked in short (30 seconds or so) walk breaks after each mile. Other than that, I just ran. Yay!

I also made very good meal choices today. We met up with the in-laws for dinner at an Italian restaurant. I resisted the yummy dinner rolls and the pasta dishes and the pizza. I got a summer salad with blackened chicken. Yay!

I do love pizza, but it is not my friend in weight loss. Maybe I can plan it for a long run day, but not on a regular basis.
SuperHappyFunTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #33
SuperHappyFunTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terapin View Post
You are doing terrific! Way to go. Popeyes and all... LOL
Thanks for the support! I've really enjoyed reading your journal, you've made great progress!
Old 09-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #34
SuperHappyFunTimes

Today I ran 3.16 miles 4/2 intervals with the jogging stroller, in 34:31 at 11:03 avg pace. I managed to get DS into the jogging stroller with a little bribery (potato chips) and a little crying which I ignored. After about 5 minutes he accepted that we were going to use the new stroller and he decided to enjoy the ride.

My work has a fitness program where you can choose to track your workouts and get an annual fitness assessment and blood work and if you do well enough you get $350. The fitness assessment has stretching and strength and card sections. I ended up getting a PERFECT score on all three sections!! they said that it was super hard to get perfect scores, so I really feel like this training (almost eight months!) has really made changes to my fitness and health, eve if I'm technically still in the obese BMI section.

Yay!
Old 09-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #35
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHappyFunTimes View Post
Thanks for the support! I've really enjoyed reading your journal, you've made great progress!
Thank you!

Old 09-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #36
SuperHappyFunTimes

I skipped my long bike ride Saturday since my long run last weekend wiped me out. We had a bad night last night, DS woke up all night long, crying and wanting to get out of bed. I got maybe 4 hours of sleep. He finally settled down at 5:30 am, so I didn't start my run until 9:30, it was 86 out with a dew point in the mid 70's. It was just about the worst run of my life. I totally ran out of steam around 3 miles.

I was going to try for 6.2 again, but ended up quitting at 5.3. I walked most of the last mile. It was just awful. I don't know if it was the lack of sleep, the heat, or something else. Maybe I'm ramping up too fast. So disheartening.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #37
SuperHappyFunTimes

I'm taking one whole week off. My last run was so terrible and my legs just feel awful and I got a flu shot. So I think a planned week of rest might be in order. I'll be back to posting one week from today!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #38
SuperHappyFunTimes

I ran 3 miles on Tuesday and messed up my hip. Well, it's not really my hip, it's my lateral iliac crest (the pointy boney point on the front top of the pelvis). I don't know if I messed it up doing situps or swinging my leg over baby gates. . But running really aggravated it. The orthopedic doctor isn't sure if it is ITBS or something else, but he is sending me for physical therapy next week. No running for a while.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #39
SuperHappyFunTimes

Did a 3 mile walk this morning. Not running at all was rough. My hip/iliac crest is still tweaky. I've got physical therapy scheduled for Friday, I'm really hoping they have a quick fix.

I started a new diet this week. I like South Beach but I think it wasn't giving me enough energy for the longer workouts. My new diet is called The Good Mood Diet and it focuses on feel good foods like fish, whole grains, dairy and fruit. So far so good. I am sure it's a healthy diet, I just hope it restarts my weight loss while giving me the fuel to work out at a higher level.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #40
SuperHappyFunTimes

I still can't run, so I walked 5 miles today right at 16 minutes per mile. Then I mowed the grass. My physical therapist said it's tendinitis in my hip flexor. I think they don't really know. In any case, they don't want me to run at all yet. I have PT twice next week, I'm really hoping to be able to work in run intervals next weekend.

There's also a 10k on Thanksgiving morning in town which I'm super excited for. We have a big running community here which is great, but it means the local races are intimidating. A ten minute mile pace is in the bottom quarter of finishers usually. I'm hoping not to be last, my delicate ego really can't take that!

The good mood diet is going pretty well. I'm using it more as a guideline than as a strict diet, so as long as the scale goes down I'll be happy!
Old 10-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #41
SuperHappyFunTimes

My PT said I can start easing into running again!

I ran/walked today for 3.1 miles at a 4 min walk/ 2 min run interval. It went pretty well, I felt great. My hip/crest is a little tweaky today, but not too bad. I'm going to keep icing it and doing the PT exercises and hopefully I'll be able to keep the run intervals in. Such a strange place to get injured. It used to always be my knees!

I've got an appointment set up with the trainer at work (we have a great wellness program) for next week to give me a stretching and strengthening program to help avoid running injuries in the future. I suspect (dread!) lots of core work will be involved.

I'm really hoping to be able to do a strong walk/run at the Thanksgiving Turkey Trot 10k in a little over a month. NO MORE INJURIES!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #42
SuperHappyFunTimes

I guess my PT probably isn't going to be happy with me. Apparently I define "easing back into running a little" by doing 6.2 miles today. I did do most of it at a 4 min walk/ 2 min run interval (except the last mile that I just ran straight). And I DID consciously try to run slower during my run sections.

I just had a psychological hang-up on the 10k mark since that's the last long run I tried to do when I bonked and felt like absolute garbage and had to quit early. I'm thinking it really was lack of carbs in my diet combined with a little heat exhaustion and pushing my speed up too much.

Anyways, today felt pretty good. My iliac crest got tweaky during the run, but I applied pressure to a tight spot on the top side of my butt and that took the pain away. I iced my side after the run and took 2 advil and it feels fine now. I'm hoping it feels ok tomorrow.

I did try a new kind of sports bean today, the fruit punch flavor. It was much better than the orange flavor. And it did perk me up. I stopped at the water fountain at 2 and 5 miles and ate half the pack each time.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #43
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Today I ran 3.16 miles 4/2 intervals with the jogging stroller, in 34:31 at 11:03 avg pace. I managed to get DS into the jogging stroller with a little bribery (potato chips) and a little crying which I ignored. After about 5 minutes he accepted that we were going to use the new stroller and he decided to enjoy the ride.

My work has a fitness program where you can choose to track your workouts and get an annual fitness assessment and blood work and if you do well enough you get $350. The fitness assessment has stretching and strength and card sections. I ended up getting a PERFECT score on all three sections!! they said that it was super hard to get perfect scores, so I really feel like this training (almost eight months!) has really made changes to my fitness and health, eve if I'm technically still in the obese BMI section.

Yay!
I missed this before: awesome job! Way to go.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #44
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I guess my PT probably isn't going to be happy with me. Apparently I define "easing back into running a little" by doing 6.2 miles today. I did do most of it at a 4 min walk/ 2 min run interval (except the last mile that I just ran straight). And I DID consciously try to run slower during my run sections.

I just had a psychological hang-up on the 10k mark since that's the last long run I tried to do when I bonked and felt like absolute garbage and had to quit early. I'm thinking it really was lack of carbs in my diet combined with a little heat exhaustion and pushing my speed up too much.

Anyways, today felt pretty good. My iliac crest got tweaky during the run, but I applied pressure to a tight spot on the top side of my butt and that took the pain away. I iced my side after the run and took 2 advil and it feels fine now. I'm hoping it feels ok tomorrow.

I did try a new kind of sports bean today, the fruit punch flavor. It was much better than the orange flavor. And it did perk me up. I stopped at the water fountain at 2 and 5 miles and ate half the pack each time.
Sounds like a good run!

Old 10-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #45
SuperHappyFunTimes

I got a 3.2 mile run/walk in on Tuesday even though my workout buddy was out of town. I did 4 min walk/2min run intervals for the first two miles and then ran the last mile, but at a pretty slow pace.

I saw a different PT for my iliac crest problem and he agreed with me that it wasn't my hip flexor or ITB but that I had pulled an ab muscle doing bent leg situps for the fitness assessment a month ago. It's gradually getting better and I have maybe learned a lesson about overdoing it when my ego is acting up. I hadn't done situps in a year, but I forced out the 25 needed for full points on the fitness assessment when I had no business doing so.

I think being overweight makes me overcompensate to "prove" to others that I'm fit even if I'm not thin. I know lots of people assume that people can't be athletic if they're not slender, but I also know that lots of that kind of judgment is just in my head. The majority of the people I come across aren't judging me one way or another, they're probably too caught up in their own issues and lives to care whether I'm thin or fat or athletic or a couch potato. In other words, I need to stop feeling like I have something to prove to people who really don't care anyways.

I'm going to have to run with the toddler in the stroller tomorrow. Hope I survive it!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: