Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #1591
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I did not get a new one, I have one from two years ago and I didn't see the point in getting a new one. I understand some people collect them. But I'm not sure I like the rubber band. I didn't test one to see how strong it was or if it is tight.

If you're up to trying the un-chicken, they give you a slab of it with sauce and a little rice. For those who were expecting something like a stew.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #1592
muffy0110
disney vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardybuz View Post
I just got back from the opening weekend, and sadly can say this was first time I've ever been in a Disney park that was teeming with people acting like loud, drunken jerks. I'm from New Orleans, so am pretty used to seeing this kind of behavior during Mardi Gras, but seeing it at Disney totally took me by surprise. People were tripping over strollers, pushing little kids out of their way, and, as others have mentioned, wearing shirts that said, "Drunk 1" and "Drunk 2"- totally not the Disney family atmosphere, imo. I didn't even bring my kids, and I still left the park four hours early (despite really wanting to see the fireworks) just to get away. Sorry, but as much as I love, love, love Disney, and have been going regularly for 37 years, this was my first and last Food and Wine Festival.

However, since I'm not a regular Festival-goer, maybe my experience was because it was the opening weekend, and your weekend will be much less crowded. I can say that if you want to stay away from the flat-out drunk folks, just avoid the food booths entirely- or maybe have one parent get food at the booths and have the other parent wait with the kids at a quiet spot in each pavilion, since the heaviest and loudest crowds were on the footpath around the lake. Hope that helps!
I have done the Food and Wine Festival for 12-14 days since it started. Rule of thumb. NEVER go on a weekend. I NEVER even go near Epcot on Fri, Sat or Sun. That is the type of behavior you will find. It is very BIG with the locals. Hope if you decide to ever try it again you will try a Wed. It's still my favorite time of the year.
muffy0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #1593
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I also haven't seen it here, but the Festival wristband gift cards no longer have the coiled plastic band. The new ones have a rubber band-type wristband.
This happened overnight.... Somewhere there were cast members busily attaching rubber bands. Thursday they had the plastic coil from last year and by Saturday we were using rubber bands. A Cast Member told me the plastic coils were falling apart almost immediately when folks put them on.

I have mine from last year and will refill it as I know it works
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #1594
cdtommie
Beerman, DVC BWV/BCV/VWL/BLT, no steak, slushies or nuggets for you!

Quote:
I am in Canada, drinking Ephemere. They also have trois pistoles and Blanche du chambly. 8.50.
A steal for a 20 oz pour by Disney standards...trois pistoles is 12 bucks for a four pack of 12oz bottles at my local store. My vote for the best Disney beer value!
cdtommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #1595
mdsd8700
It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Just reading along. We leave in a week for our very first F&W, DH and I are really excited. We feel like "newbies" even though we have been to Disney tons of times. Thanks to everyone who has posted. I am keeping notes and lists for our trip!

All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome,
mdsd8700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #1596
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthawb View Post
Ugh. This was what I was fearing. Unfortunately we are only there over the weekend so a weekday isn't an option. However we are early risers and have a breakfast scheduled at akershus so we will be out early. We will probably be headed home by 5-5:30 so maybe we'll miss the worst of it? The phineas and ferb phone "spy" game was my sons favorite thing last time we came (when it was kimpossible) so I know he is going to want to do it.
I think if you leave around 5:30, you'll be fine...it gets rowdier as the night progresses on weekends, but earlier in the evening should be okay.

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #1597
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
I have a couple of questions, I am trying to finalize my Must Try list!! Any advice is appreciated!

1.)What does the Dragon Berry Colada from the Caribbean Islands taste like?? I am very curious and have heard great things. Does it just taste like berries and what kind of berries? Dragon berry?? Haha is there such a thing?
Pure yumminess!! It's hard to describe, but it's like a sweet tropical berry slushie with a kick! it's by far my favorite!!

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #1598
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
Pure yumminess!! It's hard to describe, but it's like a sweet tropical berry slushie with a kick! it's by far my favorite!!
They are soooooo good! I drank a ton of them last year.

Jill in CO
Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #1599
TeresaWen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffy0110 View Post
I have done the Food and Wine Festival for 12-14 days since it started. Rule of thumb. NEVER go on a weekend. I NEVER even go near Epcot on Fri, Sat or Sun. That is the type of behavior you will find. It is very BIG with the locals. Hope if you decide to ever try it again you will try a Wed. It's still my favorite time of the year.
Same here. We come down every year for 10 days (Tuesday - Thursday) and it works great for us. On the weekend we are there we relax by the pool at the beach club, go to dinner usually at another hotel (AK - Jiko is a favorite Saturday night date) or even venture out to another park. During the week, especially during the afternoon, it is wonderful. We stroll through EPCOT and really enjoy ourselves!

I cannot wait to get there!!!!!!!! Soon...save some wine for us please!
TeresaWen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #1600
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

This will be our first F&W Festival. I'm looking forward to the experience, but not looking forward to drunken stupidity. Hubby and I don't hardly ever drink and we don't plan on partaking while we are there either. We are staying at YC so we'll have easy access to Epcot and will probably spend more time there than usual, so I'm really hoping that we can enjoy F&W and not have to deal with too many drunk idiots.

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

kelleigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #1601
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1 View Post
This will be our first F&W Festival. I'm looking forward to the experience, but not looking forward to drunken stupidity. Hubby and I don't hardly ever drink and we don't plan on partaking while we are there either. We are staying at YC so we'll have easy access to Epcot and will probably spend more time there than usual, so I'm really hoping that we can enjoy F&W and not have to deal with too many drunk idiots.
The good behavior of other guests cannot be guaranteed. Although it seems everyone has a different idea of the extent of "drunken" behavior they are willing to tolerate.

You will cut down on crowding and the influx of local visitors if you avoid Friday nights and Saturdays. If you must go on a Saturday, get there when they open, hit a few booths and get out by 2.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #1602
mbtohill
Mouseketeer

Just want to echo a common theme running through this thread. DW went to F&W last year for the first time. Spent Wednesday-Friday at Epcot and had a WONDERFUL time. No obvious or distracting drunken behavior from anyone we saw.

Going again this year Oct 16th-19th, Tuesday-Friday.

AVOID THE WEEKENDS if at all possible and you will have a GREAT EXPERIENCE...
Beach Club - May '12, May '14
Swan & Dolphin - Oct'11, Oct'12, Oct'14 Food & Wine
Beach Club - Oct '13 Food & Wine
Swan - Dec '13
Next Visit - POR Dec '14

Me 47, DW 43, DD 13, DD 11
mbtohill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #1603
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The good behavior of other guests cannot be guaranteed. Although it seems everyone has a different idea of the extent of "drunken" behavior they are willing to tolerate.

You will cut down on crowding and the influx of local visitors if you avoid Friday nights and Saturdays. If you must go on a Saturday, get there when they open, hit a few booths and get out by 2.
We did that on Sunday. We were there right as they were opening the booths at 11am. We didn't wait at all until about 12:30, then crowds started picking up. So by 1pm we were heading out of the World Showcase.
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #1604
Tamar
If you're not going to snort, what's the point of laughing??

We saw much more rowdiness last year than we do this year. Maybe the weather is keeping some of the rowdier locals away.

On a different subject we missed one of our seminars yesterday. Just forgot to ask for the tickets and then later in the day without the tickets forgot we were scheduled. My own fault but I wish we'd get one confirmation a day instead of one for each thing we've booked we do around 25 seminars over our 10 day visit and each day is different I'm just not the most organized person while on vacation.
Tamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #1605
TinkerBelle_325
WDW Destination Blog owner and CSR FAQ thread runner!

We are braving a few weekend days, but the majority of our F&W visits will be on weekdays.

That being said - I can't wait for Sunday night

Only 3 1/2 days until I leave for my favorite place in the world
CURRENT DINING REPORT: ~First we eat, then we do everything else! May 2014~
UPCOMING DINING REPORT: It's the most wonderful time...FOOD & WINE! Oct/Nov 2014~
TinkerBelle_325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: