Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #31
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdiscruises
FYI, on our August cruise they were strict about age...I want to say it was 12 or 13 and up. My 9 year old wasn't allowed to participate.
Hmmm. Do you think they'd stop them from banditing?
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #32
youalleverybody
Rather be Soarin'

I'm planning to run my first 5K next week on Castaway Cay. We are on the Oct. 7-11 Disney Dream cruise. I've been doing a couch to 5k program.

Good luck everyone! I'll post how it went when I get back.

WDW 2008, 2010 and 2012
February 2012 Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean
October 2012 Disney Dream Bahamas
February 2013 Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas
youalleverybody is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #33
iluvdiscruises
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher

Hmmm. Do you think they'd stop them from banditing?
Yes, on our cruise a ten year old was stopped. The dad had to check him into the kids club on the island and sprint to catch us at the start line (the group kept walking). There was no one else in the area at the time, and two cast members are on the course to monitor. I was told its for safety reasons...totally makes sense as the heat can be brutal.
iluvdiscruises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #34
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

Question

Did they have the medals back? I had heard they were out was wondering if they were back?
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:50 AM   #35
iluvdiscruises
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruznLexi
Did they have the medals back? I had heard they were out was wondering if they were back?
We had them August 2012.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #36
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdiscruises View Post
Yes, on our cruise a ten year old was stopped. The dad had to check him into the kids club on the island and sprint to catch us at the start line (the group kept walking). There was no one else in the area at the time, and two cast members are on the course to monitor. I was told its for safety reasons...totally makes sense as the heat can be brutal.
Is the cutoff 12 or 13?

My almost 13yo DD is the only one in the family who knows I'm training to run the 5K and is really looking forward to running as a family!

I hope she isn't going to be banned!

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #37
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdiscruises

Well that stinks. We live in Houston and are just back from a morning run in 98% humidity.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 10-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #38
iluvdiscruises
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy

Is the cutoff 12 or 13?

My almost 13yo DD is the only one in the family who knows I'm training to run the 5K and is really looking forward to running as a family!

I hope she isn't going to be banned!
I'm going to see if I can find in my navigators later today...stay tuned...it was definitely listed.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #39
Wendy&Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdiscruises View Post
I'm going to see if I can find in my navigators later today...stay tuned...it was definitely listed.
I just found a recent navigator online and it says 12+.

Phew! DD can participate!

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Old 10-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #40
jjones144
Mouseketeer

We just did the 5k on the September 20th cruise. They asked was everyone over 12, but that was it. My nephew was 11, but no one said anything. We had a fun time, but the heat was brutal. We live south of Houston, so are used to the heat, but it was tough. We did get the medals.
jjones144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #41
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

I did CC5K in August. I had just finished my 4th week of C25K. In fact, the morning of the cruise I went for a run in cocoa beach. 8am and the heat and humidity was brutal. I barely made the last 5' running leg.

We were on the Dream and it was a double dip. I figured I go for the first day and maybe I would do the second run as well.

When we met, I felt like a fish of a different pond. The majority were talking about their half or full marathons, or worse, not talking and just stretching. In the end a family with 2 college kids came in and the parents were joking about being the last ones as they would walk it.

In the end, it took me 42' - I did a C25K plan and then walked and run another 5' to the finish line. The humidity was brutal, but all the water stations placed around helped tremendously.

So I wasn't the last one, nor the first one. In fact, I noticed a few actually did a 10k run. The CMs were there at the end (one actually ran it) and helped taking a picture of me finishing it. They did wait a bit longer for a few more folks.

Oh, and no medals. They discontinued them and they say they will introduce new ones.

Finally, have someone else get the CC5K shirt for you, or else, you won't find sizes. Or, wait till later in the day when they will replenish for the next cruise from the back.

Regarding 12+, they could not register anyone under, but they said it was up to the parent, but to be conscious about the heat.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #42
Wendy&Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
In the end, it took me 42' - I did a C25K plan and then walked and run another 5' to the finish line. The humidity was brutal, but all the water stations placed around helped tremendously.
By C25K plan I assume you mean one of the daily podcasts? Which one did you use?

I'm thinking it would be very helpful to use one of the podcasts for my run.

Thanks for the info and congrats on finishing!

Old 10-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #43
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy

By C25K plan I assume you mean one of the daily podcasts? Which one did you use?

I'm thinking it would be very helpful to use one of the podcasts for my run.

Thanks for the info and congrats on finishing!
C25K is "couch to 5K"
I've gone one (long ago) and basically it's a training plan to slowly work up from walking half an hour to running a 5k (3.1 miles.)
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 10-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #44
Wendy&Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
C25K is "couch to 5K"
I've gone one (long ago) and basically it's a training plan to slowly work up from walking half an hour to running a 5k (3.1 miles.)
Yes, I know what C25K is, thanks. I'm on week 7 myself.

PP said s/he "did a C25K plan and then walked and run another 5' to the finish line."

I'm assuming s/he meant s/he listened to one of the daily podcasts from C25K during his/her Castaway Cay run and I was asking which one.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #45
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?

I did the Run5k app to train for the CC5k that I did on our June 2nd 8-Nighter out of NYC. It definitely helped that I live in TX so I was used to running in the heat and humidity b/c CC is definitely hot and humid, even though the run is in the AM.

Good luck to all of you training to run the CC5k! If I can do it, I know you all can do it too! Since doing it, I've started the Run10k app, but it's been slow going. My friend and I are thinking of running the Food & Wine Half in `13, so hopefully this will help me start to prepare. & If the same friend and I sail on the Magic in Jan., we'll run the CC5k together on that cruise. It'll be interesting to compare the weather on CC for June and Jan. Hopefully it won't be quite so hot and humid in January.

Good luck & keep running!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: