DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
Bookworm715
Earning My Ears

Short-ish notice, but VERY flexible. What are my chances?

I want to book a trip in a couple of months (say, Oct or Nov). I'd like to travel in Jan, Feb or maybe early March. I want to rent points, and I'm really, REALLY flexible. I'd love consierge, but I'll do anything. I'll switch resorts (I think I would enjoy experiencing 2 different resorts, actually). But, I really want to book through David's, because I would worry otherwise, I think.

Knowing that I am this flexible, how difficult would it be to get consierge level for a few days of a 5 day trip? Is it possible to rent points in November for February(ish) and get an acceptable arrangement?
Bookworm715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
supersuperwendy
any happy little thought?

I HIGHLY doubt you'd get concierge at this point for Feb. There are only a handful of concierge villas and they book 11 months in advance. You might be able to find some availability in other villas besides concierge. Have you contacted David yet? The sooner you decide on dates the better. DVC availability changes by the minute so the longer you wait...the less choices you'll have.
Now approaching Mickey's Star Traders......DVC Trip Report 2012! <-----Click Here! Commando Club member #118
DVC Members since 2008

supersuperwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
Bookworm715
Earning My Ears

There are a few obligations (husband's work, etc.) that we have to work around that we can't nail down for sure until another month or so.

Hopefully there will still be something available when I'm able to book
Bookworm715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

There are only 5 concierge 2 bedroom suites at AKV, those can be broken into 5 studios and 5 one bedroom units. It is extremely doubtful you could book concierge AKV 90 days or laess out from travel, no matter when you travel. No other DVC resort offers any concierge suites.

In fact, renting anything may be difficult. DVC reservations work best for those tat can plan at least months or more in advance, but it never hurts to try.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

The problem is that while this is short-ish notice for regular resorts it is extremely short notice for DVC. The DVC system works best for those that can plan 7-11 months out. It is still possible to get something within the 4-7 months window, but when you get down into the last few months, pickings get slim.

As others have said, unless you can plan 11 months in advance you are probably out of luck with the concierge rooms. You may be able to get something somewhere at the 2-3 month mark but you are going to have to take whatever is available. Some weeks in your time frame will have more availability while others (President's week, etc.) will be booked solid. Perhaps you could make a back-up reservation at a non-DVC resort and then cancel it if you can get something by renting points.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
how difficult would it be to get consierge level
I would put it at "impossible". Those rooms are almost always booked by AKV owners, more or less year round, even before the 7-month window opens.

Doesn't mean you can't try, and you never know---you might get lucky. But, I would not hold out a lot of hope.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm715 View Post
I want to book a trip in a couple of months (say, Oct or Nov). I'd like to travel in Jan, Feb or maybe early March. I want to rent points, and I'm really, REALLY flexible. I'd love consierge, but I'll do anything. I'll switch resorts (I think I would enjoy experiencing 2 different resorts, actually). But, I really want to book through David's, because I would worry otherwise, I think.

Knowing that I am this flexible, how difficult would it be to get consierge level for a few days of a 5 day trip? Is it possible to rent points in November for February(ish) and get an acceptable arrangement?
I'm not sure why you think David would be safer than an individual member. He's just a broker and doesn't book the stay. The member he is working with does that.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
I'm not sure why you think David would be safer than an individual member. He's just a broker and doesn't book the stay. The member he is working with does that.
I've not used David's either way, but my impression that he's a middle man, negotiator, someone who would be sure I got the reservation, & I would be more assured that when I show up at DVC, there's really going to be a reservation for me. Don't you think that's what David is selling for the price he charges?
Old 09-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Based on a quick perusal of his site, David escrows half of the rental payment until after the guest checks in, to reduce the chances that a Member will screw up. He also promises to refund the rental if something goes wrong anyway and a replacement room can't be secured.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
kwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm715 View Post

I've booked trips four times now as a renter - with four different individuals. Each experience has been a little different with regards to the DVC owners expectations of me - but each has gone very, very smoothly. I've gone this route because I wanted to pay less for the points than David charges, the trips have been below his minimum rental, or he didn't response to emails about trying to create a split-stay trip. I'm sure his service is great based upon other reviews on the boards, but his service simply hasn't fit my needs yet. It might for a trip I am planning a year out.

All four have also been booked between 30-90 in advance only. I've been at SSR, AKV (SV and Standard), and the upcoming trip includes BLT. Two of the four owners were very happy to check availability for me and one went above and beyond in terms of waitlist management to get me what I want.

So - I guess I'm just saying you may have just as much luck getting what you want - or perhaps a better chance of getting what you want through the Rent/Trade Board as you would through one of the services.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
Dean
DIS Veteran

I think this is a common issue with most non timeshare people. As stated, this is not really being flexible, at least not for concierge. As long as you'll take any unit at any DVC location over that couple of months, that is being flexible and you should be OK as long as you have no other restrictions such as a 3 BR or certain view type.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
coup2516
Mouseketeer

As long as you really are as flexible as you say, and you don't mind switching resorts, you should be able to find reservations.

AKV-K/BWV 08/10
SSR/BLT/AKV-J 11/11
BCV/SSR 11/12
coup2516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: