Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
melissarose
Mouseketeer

Tom Sawyer Island

Hey all,
I've read a few threads about the Tom Sawyer Island paintbrush, but many had posts from back in May and June. I'm wondering if they still do the paintbrush thing on the island! I wanted to head over on the first raft and search for one, but I don't want to wander around if they stopped putting them there! Like I said, I saw some people say that they had stopped but were continuing at a later date, so I'm just not sure if anyone has gone more recently and found out! I will be there in February.

And if they don't have the paintbrushes, is it still worth it to go to the island? It's me and my boyfriend and I just don't know if it will be boring for us and if it would be better to give it a miss in favour of something else!

Thanks!
melissarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissarose View Post
Hey all,
I've read a few threads about the Tom Sawyer Island paintbrush, but many had posts from back in May and June. I'm wondering if they still do the paintbrush thing on the island! I wanted to head over on the first raft and search for one, but I don't want to wander around if they stopped putting them there! Like I said, I saw some people say that they had stopped but were continuing at a later date, so I'm just not sure if anyone has gone more recently and found out! I will be there in February.

And if they don't have the paintbrushes, is it still worth it to go to the island? It's me and my boyfriend and I just don't know if it will be boring for us and if it would be better to give it a miss in favour of something else!

Thanks!
I don't know about the paint brush thing, but I LOVE Tom Sawyer Island, it's one of my favorite places in the park. I'm 20, and it was always my friends and I that went, never with kids or anything, and we always had a ball!

Former Epcot CM

PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009176
ladypage is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

They are not putting out the paintbrushes anymore. This was discontinued quite some time ago. As to whether or not it's worth your while, I couldn't say. There are no 'rides' on the island. It is a place to explore and a place for the kids to run around and have fun, blow off a little steam. We used to love taking our children there when they were young. And we see lots of child-free adults filling up the ferry as well.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
melissarose
Mouseketeer

great, thanks! i think i will check it out despite the paintbrushes being gone!
melissarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

We did the Island many years ago... Nice place to get away and when Aunt Polly's used to be open, great place for a snack and drink.... But...but... It was the only place we were bothered by mosquitos....strange though because around the resorts never encountered them but the Island.... many (great time to remember to pack the repellant....it's a lot more grown up now since our last visit many years ago, we seem to skip it and rather take the paddle wheel boat around the Island!!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

We took my DS6 to Tom Sawyer island for the first time in five visits/five years. He loved it! Why? The tunnels, the paths and caves.

Now we rode all the rides we wanted to and had extra time to go there. I wouldn't skip BTM or PoC for Tom Sawyer Island, but we were lucky enough to do everything (we wanted to).

Next time we go, I bet our DS will want to go back.
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
WEDWDW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissarose View Post
Like I said, I saw some people say that they had stopped but were continuing at a later date
Yes,the Tom Sawyer Island Paintbrush Hunt was stopped when Big Thunder Mountain Railroad went down for refurb and there were a lot of "expectations" that the Hunt would be brought back as soon as BTMRR came back up from refurb,but very sadly,it never happened.

WEDWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Fjobe
DIS Veteran

I was bummed out that they quit doing the paintbrushes. We went to Tom Sawyer Island last summer (2011), and my cousin found one. They gave the whole family BTMRR FP and a VIP fastpass for the whole family (they said they were out of Splash FP and we could use the VIP FP for a ride the 2 year old could go on). That is the only time we have ever gone to Tom Sawyer Island, and we went to the island for the purpose of finding a paint brush.

There were many things my kids enjoyed while we were there, but I wouldn't miss out on something else to go there especially if it was really hot outside.

Fjobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
nansmama
DIS Veteran

I have to say, I love Tom Sawyer Island and I'm a grownup! There is just something about walking down the paths and through the caves, resting in the picnic areas or on the docks, going over the bridges, and climbing in the forts that appeals to me. I remember in the 80s when my brother and I went to Magic Kingdom, TSI was by far our favorite part of the park. We were 15 and 16 at the time.

My kids are now 14 and 16, and I think they like it even more than my brother and I did. We always spend a significant amount of time on TSI walking around and just hanging out people watching. I never knew about the paintbrush thing, so that's not why we go. We just love it because it's so DISNEY.

Here are some pics from our last trip!

My kids pretending to be "old fogies"

"Holding" the paddle boat:

View of the Haunted Mansion from the gazebo on TSI:

The map that nobody seems to know exists, LOL.

The TSI game of checkers. A tradition.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: