Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #436
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasnotafan View Post
Good news for a change...SWMBO has been on some new diabetes meds for the last couple of months and they are $$$ compared to the generic that she had been using. Her numbers are better though so we need to keep it up. Just found out this AM that we may qualify for a coupon through the company that will save us over $50/month at least for a few months.
That is good news.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #437
NWDAD
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for your prayers. My wife and I appreciate them. Will keep you all updated.

Kevin
NWDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #438
jbschafer
Mouseketeer

We finally have a diagnosis

Gentlemen,

I don't post much here anymore, spending more time on the Facebook side of things, but I still follow this thread on a regular basis. I've offered up my prayers in support of you all, and now it's my turn to ask for the return of the favor.

DD12 has been "sick" for almost a year now. It really got bad last year at Christmas (while we were at WDW no less) and we have had a dozen trips to the Children's Hospital at the University of Iowa over the last 10 months. It's been a long process of eliminating things and running tests, but they finally gave her a diagnosis yesterday.

She has a fairly rare disorder known as Takayasu's Arteritis. (I have always said she is 1 in a million and now I have medical documentation to prove it). It isn't life threatening at this time, and shouldn't become so if they stay on top of the condition, but she is in for a lifetime of medical treatments and routine testing to make sure things are under control. On one hand I am glad to finally have a name to what has been going on, but on the other hand that name finally shows our fears - that this isn't something that is going to go away.

Fortunately, we have good insurance that SHOULD pay for most of this (we have to fight an "unauthorized drug" battle since the FDA hasn't approved humira to treat this disease since it is so rare). Even MORE fortunately, we have good family and friends (you gentlemen included) to help us keep grounded.

Please pray for energy to keep positive in this whole ordeal.
Me - Ben (DISDad #662) , DW , DD14 , DD10 , and DS7

12/1974, 12/1977, 12/1980, 12/1983, 12/1986, 10/1994, 7/1999 - Off Property, 6/2008 - POP and OP, 8/2010 - POP, 12/2011 - POP, 12/2012 - POP, 6/2013 - DLR(OP), 8/2014 - DLR(OP)
jbschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #439
wasnotafan
DIS Dad #481
Unfortunately my smartphone is smatter than I am
All that fresh air over the years has done me good

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbschafer View Post
Gentlemen,

I don't post much here anymore, spending more time on the Facebook side of things, but I still follow this thread on a regular basis. I've offered up my prayers in support of you all, and now it's my turn to ask for the return of the favor.

DD12 has been "sick" for almost a year now. It really got bad last year at Christmas (while we were at WDW no less) and we have had a dozen trips to the Children's Hospital at the University of Iowa over the last 10 months. It's been a long process of eliminating things and running tests, but they finally gave her a diagnosis yesterday.

She has a fairly rare disorder known as Takayasu's Arteritis. (I have always said she is 1 in a million and now I have medical documentation to prove it). It isn't life threatening at this time, and shouldn't become so if they stay on top of the condition, but she is in for a lifetime of medical treatments and routine testing to make sure things are under control. On one hand I am glad to finally have a name to what has been going on, but on the other hand that name finally shows our fears - that this isn't something that is going to go away.

Fortunately, we have good insurance that SHOULD pay for most of this (we have to fight an "unauthorized drug" battle since the FDA hasn't approved humira to treat this disease since it is so rare). Even MORE fortunately, we have good family and friends (you gentlemen included) to help us keep grounded.

We will be praying. Glad you finally have a diagnosis.
Sept/Oct 06 - POR Riverside Alligator Bayou
July 08 - POR Riverside Magnolia Bend
wasnotafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #440
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Ben will keep your DD, you and your family in our prayers!

Cinderella's Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #441
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:

Prayers for her and your family.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #442
scott2997
DIS Dad#543
You trying for ownage?!
I'm not sure what I'll be tied up in at home tonight

Quote:
Gentlemen,

Ben, good to hear that they can finally label it so they can properly treat it.

Will pray not only for you and your DD but also that the insurance company cooperates!

Dis Dads Member #543

April 2012 Spring Break TR

Trips:April 2014 (BLT), January 2014 (CBR), January 2013 (OKW), April 2012 (BLT)
MK Only (1 day visits) - 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
Offsite - 2013, 2005, 1990
scott2997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #443
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Ben, I'm glad they were finally able to give you a diagnosis.

Sending out thoughts & prayers to your family.
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #444
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Ben, with my Rheumatoid Arthritis I do remicade. I was offered humira, which is self injected, but liked the idea of the remicade because it was a infusion under a Doctors care. It takes about two hours every 8 weeks, and works great. I've never had trouble with my insurance to pay for it. Again prayers for your DD for a Long and Full Life!

Cinderella's Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #445
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave

Quote:
Gentlemen,

Ben, our prayers are with DD and your family

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 12/9/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
theduck619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #446
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?

Quote:
Gentlemen,

Ben your daughter and your entire fmaily will be in our prayers. I am thankful that a resolution has been found for her health situation. Not knowing what the problem is so scary in and of itself. Please keep us posted as she fights this!!!
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (47) DW Shari (47) DS Ethan (9) DD Lauren (8)
GoHerd1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #447
NWDAD
DIS Veteran

Ben, you and your DD and your family are in our prayers.

Kevin
Wonder 5/27/2013-Alaska
Magic 1/27/2014-Bahamas
Magic 11/12/2014-Southern, 11/18/2014- SJ to PC repo
Magic EBTA
DIS Dad's Club Member 685
NWDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #448
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Ben.. your daughter and your family will be in our prayers. I am living proof that a "lifetime diagnosis" does not have define our lives. Crippled at a young age from an incurable spinal disease, I have lived a pain-free life due to the grace and mercy of God.

Hang in there, and cherish every moment. Life can be tough, but experiencing it with the ones you love is truly priceless

1999-2005 yearly DLC trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC! 2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian 2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom 2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream & Holidays @ WDW! BCV & AKV Concierge April 2012 - MR Anniversary Cruise Nov 2012 - DLC to see Holidays & "WoC" May 2013 - Aulani! Aug2013 WDW & Universal Studios March 2013 Travel Agent AEP DCL/WDW
papamouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #449
jbschafer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by papamouse1 View Post
Ben.. your daughter and your family will be in our prayers. I am living proof that a "lifetime diagnosis" does not have define our lives. Crippled at a young age from an incurable spinal disease, I have lived a pain-free life due to the grace and mercy of God.

Hang in there, and cherish every moment. Life can be tough, but experiencing it with the ones you love is truly priceless
Thank you EVERYONE. You don't know (or maybe you do) how much better it can make someone feel just to know that there are some folks out there listening to your troubles and feeling your pain even if for just a little bit. DD is a rockstar. When we sat her down to talk to her on Friday night there were tears obviously (from all of us). But Saturday afternoon she and my wife did a little bit of reading on the internet and when they were done she turned to my wife and said "Don't worry mom. I'm going to be just fine."

We will learn from her strength.
Me - Ben (DISDad #662) , DW , DD14 , DD10 , and DS7

12/1974, 12/1977, 12/1980, 12/1983, 12/1986, 10/1994, 7/1999 - Off Property, 6/2008 - POP and OP, 8/2010 - POP, 12/2011 - POP, 12/2012 - POP, 6/2013 - DLR(OP), 8/2014 - DLR(OP)
jbschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #450
Goofy + 3
DDC 400
Remember, it's ok to cry a little. Not too much, just a little

Quote:
But Saturday afternoon she and my wife did a little bit of reading on the internet and when they were done she turned to my wife and said "Don't worry mom. I'm going to be just fine."

We will learn from her strength.
This made me smile. Good for her.
DIS Dad #400
Goofy + 3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faith, praise, prayer, request

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: