Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #121
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid_Judy View Post
Thanks - I was just going to ask this myself! Is this usually crowded or are most people still at the parks?
It doesn't generally get too busy. This was from Feb 2010 for example:

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 10-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #122
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicaca View Post
Parterre is closer to the bridge? It does not look that way on the map. Hmm. I was hoping to be in Oak to be closer... I am thinking we will book garden view. I am sure whatever we get will be wonderful, if not perfect!
Parterre is closer if you are going to the front of the main building; Oak Manor is closer if you are going to the food court side.

I loved Parterre Place a few years ago, because I did an all resorts, no parks trip and mainly took the water taxi to DTD, so it was very convenient to go to the front section of the building to catch the water taxi.
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #123
chskover
Mouseketeer

First Visit to POR

We are staying at POR for the first time. There are 5 of us, so I believe we will have to be in Alligator Bayou section. I have a River View. Can anyone suggest a room area or building. I will have to suggest ground because of daughters trouble with stairs.

2014 BWV
2013 AllStar Sports, 2012 POR Riverside;2012 POP/CBR; 2011 AKL/BLT; 2010 AKL/OKW; 2009 SSR; 2009 POP; 2008 SSR; 2007 FW Cabins; 2001 Allstar Music; 1999 CBR; 1996 Offsite
1979 Yogi Bear Campground
Old 10-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #124
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chskover View Post
We are staying at POR for the first time. There are 5 of us, so I believe we will have to be in Alligator Bayou section. I have a River View. Can anyone suggest a room area or building. I will have to suggest ground because of daughters trouble with stairs.
You can check out the map on the first page, but building no. 38 will give you the best view of the river and the closest.

Building no. 39 and no. 26 will also give you some good views, but some may be somewhat obstructed. Building no. 37 will have a good location to the North Depot, but many obstructed views of the river.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #125
Missytara
I'm all ears!

So about a year and a half ago, my favorite server/bartender at my favorite watering hole asked me to help her plan a trip to Disney World in June 2013 to celebrate her DD18 graduation from High School. My DF was a teenage mom and has really struggled over the years and done everything she can to provide for her kids (sometimes working 7 days a week; two jobs). She is a wonderful friend and a wonderful mom.

We have talked about it for months and along the way, I made the trip a lot more complicated and bigger than it really had to be. We talked about each of her kids inviting a friend and then she would invite her best friend and her DD6, etc., etc., etc. She has never been on a vacation since before her DD was born.

About five weeks ago, she suggested we should drive, because the cost of three plane tickets for her would be astronomical. I readily agreed; I have never been a road trip longer than 8 hours.....

Last night, we got to talking at the restaurant and I said, "You know what, Holly, this trip just kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger and I forgot the entire intention was for you to spend some time with your kids, for us to have a change to go out in the evenings like grown-ups and for her kids to do some stuff together by themselves. I just let the entire thing get totally out of hand.

So we are back to square one - getting a standard room in the Mansions; I loved Acadian House location. We are getting the 8 day park hopper ticket with water parks and the MYW Dining Plus plan. We are leaving on a Friday night, the 14th and rotating each of the three drivers every 5 hours, with me picking up the tail end. That will allow them to get directly into the parks and for the old lady to wait around for the room and set up shop. We will stay until the following Saturday and drive home through the night and arrive home Sunday afternoon.

No complications, no extra people, no trying to satisfy everyone. Just a couple of friends and a couple of kids enjoying the parks and all the resorts have to offer.

I am going to make sure to plan some wonderful meals that I know the kids will like and activities that will not cost us anything, but will add to the experience.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #126
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
So about a year and a half ago, my favorite server/bartender at my favorite watering hole asked me to help her plan a trip to Disney World in June 2013 to celebrate her DD18 graduation from High School. My DF was a teenage mom and has really struggled over the years and done everything she can to provide for her kids (sometimes working 7 days a week; two jobs). She is a wonderful friend and a wonderful mom.

We have talked about it for months and along the way, I made the trip a lot more complicated and bigger than it really had to be. We talked about each of her kids inviting a friend and then she would invite her best friend and her DD6, etc., etc., etc. She has never been on a vacation since before her DD was born.

About five weeks ago, she suggested we should drive, because the cost of three plane tickets for her would be astronomical. I readily agreed; I have never been a road trip longer than 8 hours.....

Last night, we got to talking at the restaurant and I said, "You know what, Holly, this trip just kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger and I forgot the entire intention was for you to spend some time with your kids, for us to have a change to go out in the evenings like grown-ups and for her kids to do some stuff together by themselves. I just let the entire thing get totally out of hand.

So we are back to square one - getting a standard room in the Mansions; I loved Acadian House location. We are getting the 8 day park hopper ticket with water parks and the MYW Dining Plus plan. We are leaving on a Friday night, the 14th and rotating each of the three drivers every 5 hours, with me picking up the tail end. That will allow them to get directly into the parks and for the old lady to wait around for the room and set up shop. We will stay until the following Saturday and drive home through the night and arrive home Sunday afternoon.

No complications, no extra people, no trying to satisfy everyone. Just a couple of friends and a couple of kids enjoying the parks and all the resorts have to offer.

I am going to make sure to plan some wonderful meals that I know the kids will like and activities that will not cost us anything, but will add to the experience.

That sounds like a great change of plans, as well as a wonderful friend you are!

Tom
Old 10-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #127
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

joining in this thread..we booked PORS for Sept 2013...5 of us.. can't wait!

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13 ASSp 2015

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR Incomplete
Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #128
FigmentChick
DIS Veteran

OK....you can tell work totally swept me away because I didn't even realize we were on #3!!!

Thank you, Andre, for keeping this up. I still have quite a ways to go until my vacation next year, but I am living vicariously through others!

Mar 2006 & Oct 2007 - off-site
Oct 2009 & Oct 2011 - POR, Oct 2013 - OKW
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #129
czmom
DIS Veteran

Parterre or Oak Manor?

We are booked for a Royal Room, standard view. Also, we have asked for the top floor and will need to use the elevator with our stroller. Considering this, does it matter which building we are in...if we have to use the elevator entrance anyway? We just want to be close to the bridge to use the main bus stop.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #130
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

I would request the center of the building as that is where the elevators are located. The center of each royal mansion is about the same distance from the bridge. Standard view will most likely put you on the parking lot side but if you are in the center near the elevator it won't be far to the bridge. I'm adding 2 pics from Parterre so you can see the distance from the building to the river and bridge. The first is the view from the top floor center of building next to elevator. The 2nd pic is my son at the end of the walkway by the river and you can see the walkway alongside the Parterre wing closest to Oak and the distance to the bridge.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!

Last edited by Gorechick; 10-02-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #131
savannie
Mouseketeer

DH and I are celebrating our 6th anniversary at POR in a few weeks. I have a couple of questions that I've been wondering about.

1. Do people ever get upgraded from standard to king rooms? When we booked our room only standard was available. Later, I looked and king was available, but DH didn't want to pay the extra $200. I would rather have a king bed, but will definitely be happy with (and am expecting) two queens. It seems rather silly to me that they charge extra for a king (never had a hotel do that before), but I was just wondering if there's ever a situation where they might run out of standard rooms and offer the king to us so a party of 4 could have our standard. I'm going to feel silly with a whole extra bed in the room for no reason.

2. Do you have to pay for parking at the parks if you're staying on site? I went with my parents back in 2001 and they didn't have to buy a parking pass, but I can't seem to find any info about this on line now.

Thanks so much for the help!

Our Disney budget blog: Money Saving Mouse/

We have tons of tips and tricks for saving money at the most magical place on earth!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #132
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannie View Post
DH and I are celebrating our 6th anniversary at POR in a few weeks. I have a couple of questions that I've been wondering about.

1. Do people ever get upgraded from standard to king rooms? When we booked our room only standard was available. Later, I looked and king was available, but DH didn't want to pay the extra $200. I would rather have a king bed, but will definitely be happy with (and am expecting) two queens. It seems rather silly to me that they charge extra for a king (never had a hotel do that before), but I was just wondering if there's ever a situation where they might run out of standard rooms and offer the king to us so a party of 4 could have our standard. I'm going to feel silly with a whole extra bed in the room for no reason.

2. Do you have to pay for parking at the parks if you're staying on site? I went with my parents back in 2001 and they didn't have to buy a parking pass, but I can't seem to find any info about this on line now.

Best thing to do is inquire at check-in about availability and how much it would be to upgrade to a king room, perhaps they will sprinkle a little pixie dust and let you have the upgrade. Not guaranteed to work, but worth a try. Also, if you are staying onsite you will get a parking pass for your car window at check-in so you don't have to pay to park at the theme parks.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #133
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannie View Post

Disney Resort guests get free parking at the parks and resorts. I don't know about the free upgrade.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #134
savannie
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your help! I probably won't mention it at check-in...I really don't want to come across as a mooch. Might try to convince DH that it's worth the money, but don't know if that will work. The parking pass is good news, though! I assumed it would probably be included, but just hadn't seen any mention of it. Thanks again!

Our Disney budget blog: Money Saving Mouse/

We have tons of tips and tricks for saving money at the most magical place on earth!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #135
TeamBlack
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorechick View Post
I would request the center of the building as that is where the elevators are located. The center of each royal mansion is about the same distance from the bridge. Standard view will most likely put you on the parking lot side but if you are in the center near the elevator it won't be far to the bridge. I'm adding 2 pics from Parterre so you can see the distance from the building to the river and bridge. The first is the view from the top floor center of building next to elevator. The 2nd pic is my son at the end of the walkway by the river and you can see the walkway alongside the Parterre wing closest to Oak and the distance to the bridge.
But their are 2 bridges, the wide bridge and the smaller(pedistrian only) bridge. From where we were in Oak Manor, the small bridge was closer to us and almost 1 minute shorter of a walk. But everyones room placement will be different.
July 1984
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: