Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #16
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodkins View Post
You can't take Prozac for one week a month...it is a drug that has to build up as well as wean off of...I would look at a new dr.

i was thinking the exact same thing.

i would look for a new doctor and follow the good advice you've gotten so far.

Good Luck to you!
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #17
1Mouse2RulethemAll
Mouseketeer

I would check out your sleeping habits. My husband had many of those symptoms and it turned out he needed a CLAP machine.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #18
denisenh
All I can do is lie down
It has a thing hanging off the end
When i get the urge to show off, a tiny voice inside my head says "resist the urge". So i shut my mouth and stand still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSuzanne View Post
Yeah, it's called you're 40, you're over the hill. I'm right behind you, I'll be 40 next June.
40 is not over the hill!!!! Its practically teenagerhoodom!! Cripes..if 40 is over the hill whats 50? 40,50,60... is prime time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
Go to the doctor and get bloodwork, specifically ask for a thyroid workup (and not just the totals, you need to know the free counts as well), also check B12 and iron. Just because it sounds like Perimenopause, doesn't mean it is. I think it's important to rule out the other stuff.

ETA: Also have your Vitamin D checked.
Agree! and maybe start exercising some. Wishing you well!! Smile!!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #19
njcarita
BL II - Red Team
If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?
the name DANNY TERRIO pooped into my head
I swear I am full of useless information...

Quote:
You can't take Prozac for one week a month...it is a drug that has to build up as well as wean off of...I would look at a new dr.
actually you can....prozac is the one AD that can be prescribed this way and often is for pms and pmdd..............

before 1988 didn't keep track- must have been over 20 times to disney- went every year with family

Here we go again!!!!
starting weight
Jan 1 2013 194.8lbs Height 5'9" BMI 28.8

Jan 1 2014 187.4 BMI 27.7Goal 150[/COLOR][/FONT]
njcarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #20
njcarita
BL II - Red Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney View Post

i was thinking the exact same thing.

i would look for a new doctor and follow the good advice you've gotten so far.

Good Luck to you!
Quote:
actually prozac is prescribed this way for PMS and PMDD
heres a link.....'Taking low-dose Prozac (fluoxetine) for a few days during the premenstrual period shows promise in preventing the negative and emotional symptoms associated with PMS (premenstrual syndrome), neuroscientists at the University of Birmingham, England have revealed. PMS affects millions of women globally.'...........

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/201778.php

before 1988 didn't keep track- must have been over 20 times to disney- went every year with family

Here we go again!!!!
starting weight

Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #21
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcarita View Post
actually prozac is prescribed this way for PMS and PMDD
heres a link.....'Taking low-dose Prozac (fluoxetine) for a few days during the premenstrual period shows promise in preventing the negative and emotional symptoms associated with PMS (premenstrual syndrome), neuroscientists at the University of Birmingham, England have revealed. PMS affects millions of women globally.'...........

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/201778.php
It might be prescribed that way, but it doesn't work that way. What it's banking on is the psychological recovery from that temporary usage, not the physiological recovery that comes from consistent usage.

That being said, ADs carry their own nasty brands of symptoms and I believe they should be avoided at all costs unless very, very necessary.

Get those blood tests done. Check for vitamin deficiencies and see where your body is hormonally.

Last edited by ZehnJahren; 10-02-2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Don't even know what psychosocial IS. :)
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #22
njcarita
BL II - Red Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
It might be prescribed that way, but it doesn't work that way. What it's banking on is the psychological recovery from that temporary usage, not the psychosocial recovery that comes from consistent usage.

That being said, ADs carry their own nasty brands of symptoms and I believe they should be avoided at all costs unless very, very necessary.

Get those blood tests done. Check for vitamin deficiencies and see where your body is hormonally.
well i have never studies ssri so i cant comment on how they work ..... i have only worked in drug discovery in cardiocvascular pharmacolgy and immunopharamacology............i was just responding to the response that she needed a new doctor cause of how meds were prescribed when it is a legitamet way of prescribing prozac............as to weather AD's should be avoided at all costs i can not agree they have helped many people.....i tried them for peri symptoms for a few weeks and i could not tolerate them but everyone is different..... cause they did not work for me does not mean they will not work for someone else...........but i agree get your blood work done and see what your doc thinks

Here we go again!!!!
starting weight

Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #23
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

My first thought was a vitamin B deficiency.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/gu...ymptoms-causes

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #24
njcarita
BL II - Red Team

35 symptoms of perimenapause
Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes, clammy feeling (see note)
Irregular heart beat
Irritability
Mood swings, sudden tears
Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)
Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles
Loss of libido (see note)
Dry ****** (see note)
Crashing fatigue
Anxiety, feeling ill at ease
Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom (see note)
Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion
Disturbing memory lapses
Incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence (see note)
Itchy, crawly skin (see note)
Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons (see note)
Increased tension in muscles
Breast tenderness
Headache change: increase or decrease
Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea
Sudden bouts of bloat
Depression (see note)
Exacerbation of existing conditions
Increase in allergies
Weight gain (see note)
Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair
Dizziness, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance
Changes in body odor
Electric shock sensation under the skin and in the head (see note)
Tingling in the extremities (see note)
Gum problems, increased bleeding
Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, change in breath odor
Osteoporosis (after several years)
Changes in fingernails: softer, crack or break easier
Tinnitus: ringing in ears, bells, 'whooshing,' buzzing etc. (see note)

Here we go again!!!!
starting weight

Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #25
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info. No, I have not had my annual in 2yrs...time to go. I don't believe I have had my blood done in 6 yrs - with my last kid it seems like I had them ck my thyroid . My mom has been on synthroid forever now.
I can't compare my mom - she had a hysterectomy in her late 20s.

So, I need to request the bloodwork - I take it - they don't automatically do this as part of an exam? I need to ck my insurance & see how it's covered (if its not part of the yearly exam).

Will all those things be cked on one panel or do I need to specify all the things you mentioned (thyroid, b12, etc)?

I'm going to ck out the other thread
luvmyfam444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #26
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

some of those 35 symptoms I've had for years.

Mainly the incontience - since my 3rd child was born!
luvmyfam444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #27
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfam444 View Post
Thanks for the info. No, I have not had my annual in 2yrs...time to go. I don't believe I have had my blood done in 6 yrs - with my last kid it seems like I had them ck my thyroid . My mom has been on synthroid forever now.

So, I need to request the bloodwork - I take it - they don't automatically do this as part of an exam? I need to ck my insurance & see how it's covered (if its not part of the yearly exam).

Will all those things be cked on one panel or do I need to specify all the things you mentioned (thyroid, b12, etc)?

Yes most Dr.s do the workup with a physical. When you go in ask though. My GP does not order all of the tests but my Gyno does.

Just have a list of tests that you need done along with your drs normal list.

Thyroid - most insurance will pay for a normal test and then for the T3-T4 if it comes out abnormal. BUT ASK YOUR insurance, if they will pay with the original draw.

D - there are a few other D, D3 I believe is additional. My insurance had to be coded special to get paid for. So this is also something you want to ask insurance ahead of time.

B12 has always been included in my normal workup, but it is very important, so ask.

Hormone levels - my GP gave me a hard time then said I was not in perimenopause. Took the results to my Gyno who was grateful it was done for a baseline and YES she said I was definitely in perimenopause.

So the most important thing you can do is make a list. An HONEST list. Then ask your insurance what is and isn't covered. For instance if you tell the doctor your ear hurts during a physical with my insurance it is not longer a physical and I am responsible for the copay while a physical is free.

I would also make an appt with the Gyno and get your PAP and Mamo done if you haven't done this either.

Preventative care is so important and can save you money BIG time.

Don't be worried, just make the list and then make the calls and get the appointment.

Feel better.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #28
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Cripes! You have not had bloodwork done in 6yrs?

Is your PCP a good doctor or not? If you tell your PCP your symptoms and say you want a blood panel to rule out stuff will the doc go over it with you?

Have a list prepared when you go in. (I see PP above me described it in detail, yea!)

Plus you need to get your cholesterol & blood sugar checked and that is a fasting blood panel.

Yep, time to get yourself together!!!
The Mystery Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #29
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Yeah you really need to get in there and get a good look over and work up. Six years is far too long.

Every insurance is different. As an example, my insurance pays for the complete thyroid panel, not just the regular one and then the others if it shows up abnormal. Actually I've never had my health insurance not cover any type of bloodwork.

Also, luvmyfam, if your mother has thyroid issues more than likely you will at some point have them as well.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #30
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:

Definitely get a physical! It doesn't necessarily have to be anything serious (though you do need to look into the depression).

I was feeling draggy over the last year, then I realized that I was spending far too much time sitting down. It's a bit of a vicious circle, isn't it? You lack energy, so you don't move, so you end up lacking more energy. In my case, the kick in the butt was a UTI I couldn't seem to kick.

So... Vitamin D (the doctor told me I could take more than the recommended, up to 2000 mg a day). Vitamin C (good for preventing UTIs apparently). Kegels (also good for the UTIs, and for urinary continence if you have issues with that). And most especially... exercise! I get outside when I can, which makes the dog happy. I also bought a Kinect game system so that I can move indoors on the days it's not nice to get out. When I start to feel down or draggy, instead of napping I get up and move. I often feel just as refreshed afterward, as I do after a nap.

And I try not to spend too much time parked on my butt. It's amazing what a difference it makes to your mood, when you're up and active.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: