Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #46
pittypat
Mouseketeer

Finished the book yesterday. It's okay, not great. It held my interest enough to want to finish it, but I had a hard time keeping the characters straight. It was also a bit of a downer. The ended was abrupt and felt unfinished. The language was a faaaar departure from Harry Potter. Would I re-read it? Not a chance.
Disney Trips: 1977 WDW (offsite), 1982 WDW (offsite), 1988 DL (DLR), 1991 WDW (CBR), 1997 DL (DLR), 1998 WDW (POR), 2000 DL (DLR), 2004 DL (DLR), 2007 DL (GCA), 2010 DL (DLR), 2010 DL (GCA), 2011 WDW (CR-BLT), 2012 DL (GCA), 2013 DL (GCA), 2013 WDW (WL)
pittypat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #47
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order

I finished it yesterday. I liked it but I didn't love it and yes, the ending was like watching a train wreck but you just couldn't stop reading. It did hold my interest though. I'm just not sure that this is a book would be one that I could recommend to people.

My blog!!

Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #48
shortbun
Peacenik

Starting it today. My husband bought it at the grocery for $16 yesterday. I have a Kindle but I like holding a book sometimes.
Figured her first non-Potter was a good one to own.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #49
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

I'm still working through it slowly. Just not one that's holding my interest, and I'm not sure I'll pre-order her next one. Just doesn't seem as well written as the HP series...disappointing so far.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #50
MrsJackSparrow4Life
DIS Veteran

I looked today and it has gone down to $14.99 for the Kindle version (don't know about other ebook formats but I would assume they were the same). While better than $17.99 it is still too pricey for my tastes. I think $10.99 would be my max but even then I think I am annoyed enough with the publishers over this one, that I probably will wait for it to come to overdrive.
MrsJackSparrow4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #51
PollyannaMom
I was a click-clack champ!!

I am no longer 207th on the hold list! DS (I'm sure with DH) bought it for me for my birthday.

I've just started, but I think I like it so far. I could kind of do without the insight into all the teenage boy's thoughts (not exactly what I'm used to from her children's books) but I can see a good storyline being set up.

me, DH, DS(13), and lots of pets
PollyannaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #52
GaRain
DIS Veteran

I think I want to read this, but may wait til paperback/cheaper edition.
GaRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #53
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

I doubt I will read it. It was 40% off at Target yesterday.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #54
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I finally finished my chore of reading this book a few days ago. I did get somewhat interested around 82% of the way in so I did get through the end faster than the rest of the book.

I think someone else's description of cautionary tale fits it best.

I wouldn't read it again, but at least it finished. I honestly think that if the introduction of characters was handled a little bit smoother, it would have made for a better read.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #55
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

I really did not like this book. Honestly, I kept waiting for it to get better, and if another author had written it, I might have given up on it. I will not be rushing out to get her next book. Compared to HP, the characters were so one-dimensional and the story was just weak.
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #56
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

I think I'm going to pass this one up.

Thanks for the opinions guys!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17- The Strain Guillermo Del Toro
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #57
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningGirl View Post
I really did not like this book. Honestly, I kept waiting for it to get better, and if another author had written it, I might have given up on it. I will not be rushing out to get her next book. Compared to HP, the characters were so one-dimensional and the story was just weak.
ITA. It's almost as though it's a totally different writer. While the topic isn't something I'd pick off the shelf, I expected a well-written, well-assembled story. Half-way through, I'm still looking for it. I'll finish, but I'll certainly think twice before buying another.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: