Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
c.w.e.m.
Mouseketeer

Another ? for the dis doctors...14 yo back issues?

Poor DS(14)....has been out of school since last Monday. I picked him up from golf practice and he complained that he was in a lot of pain from his back. I took him to the immediate med center and they xrayed him and said that nothing was wrong. Tuesday he was still in a lot of pain. Took him to the ped on Wednesday. The ped prescribed pain meds and a mri. Mri on Thursday. Found out on Friday that he has a herniated disc in his lower back. He had physical therapy (they could not even touch his back he was in so much pain) today and an ortho appointment tomorrow. What should I expect? I feel so bad for him! He can not walk without incredible pain. I cried for him today at physical therapy because he is moving like a 100 year old man. It does not sound like this is going to be a quick or easy recovery. Anyone have any experience with teens and back issues? Everyone that I have talked with is amazed that someone so young is having back issues at such a young age.
August '03 -- Wilderness Lodge
August '05 -- Wilderness Lodge (Mere's 1st trip)
July '06 -- Port Orleans (Adults only!!!)
August '06 -- Wilderness Lodge
August 07 -- Wilderness Lodge (with the in-laws!!!)
August 08 -- Beach Club - Club level
August 09--Poly Club level
c.w.e.m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Did they check for spondylolysis? Any fractures or just the herniated disk. It is more common than one things in childhood athletics. As a dancer I have fractures in my L3, L4 and L5 vertebrae that were all there by the time I was 21.

Physical therapy will absolutely help but he has to stick with it. Some of the exercises seem silly and he might be embarrassed to do them but they will really help.

Make sure he is taking it easy until the Drs say it is ok.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
shortbun
Peacenik

My Mom was a dancer and had back problems at a very early age. If she kept up a routine of exersize twice a day-orthopedic surgeon prescribed certain ones-she was fine. If she skipped them, out it went-traction, pain meds, muscle relaxers, etc. So, by the time I was 18, she was religious about her exersize. They/doctors had told her she would eventually need surgery. She died at 79 without ever having surgery but she was doing her exersize every day until she could no longer get out of bed or was too drugged with morphine to care.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
XYSRUS
DIS Veteran

My oldest is a swimmer and lacrosse and baseball player and at times is miserable as well. Use ice or heat,whichever is more comfortable. I give my kids ibuprofen around the clock. He has to keep moving to maintain his back muscle strength. Even if he could just walk around the block. Whatever he can do to manage the pain and maintain mobility. Don't let him lie in bed all day. It so hard to see our babies miserable.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Oh, your poor baby! So young! I have had 4 herniated discs(all as an adult) and I can tell you, it's just as painful as it looks. Fortunately, PT worked well for me and I did it religiously. Still, the worst ones(I herniated 2 at a time once) they took about 5 weeks to recover to the point that I could sit for longer than 15min. As long as I could walk or lie down it wasn't too bad, but sitting , turning over in bed, getting up out of bed--yeesh! Pain!

A big portion of my PT involved hot and cold compresses. Heat at the beginning of the therapy to loosen up the muscles that were knotted up. Careful gentle exercises, making sure not to inflict more pain. Then cold packs for 15 min at the end of each session. Some people find that they prefer hot over cold, or vice versa. I needed both. My ortho also gave me some muscle relaxents because of the muscle contractions in my neck. Eventually, I was cleared to have therapeutic massage which I did once a week for several weeks, in addition to the other PT. It was a loooooonng haul, but in the end I avoided surgery and that was my goal.

I'm really sorry your son is going through this. I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: