Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Erk. DSs dental work, part 2

Well, DS26 was revisited by the toothache fairy last week. Thankfully, he was able to call our dentist and get on an antibiotic Friday, but it's been a pretty painful ordeal. This is the same tooth that gave him a toothache in July. At that time he was told he needed about $7000 worth of dental work. Sooooo, rather than do anything he stuck his head in the sand and did nothing. Well, that's not quite true. He did save up $200 toward the dental work.

I think this weekend was a real wakeup call. He is highly motivated now to get this started, at least this particular tooth anyway. Bless his heart, his income is not high and it's going to be a struggle for him. I think he makes about $12-14,000/yr. DS has no credit, so he isn't eligible for the dental care credit plan at the dentist's office. I think i'm going to go with him tomorrow and just beg for them to set up a payment plan. Our family has being going the this dentist for about 15 years and we have a good personal relationship with him(we used to teach Sunday School together. ) And I'm pretty sure that I'll need to help DS with some of this.

Oh brother. DH is going to hit the roof. He's of the mind that DS needs to just suck it up and pay. Which is fine, I agree, but if the guy can't get credit because he doesn't HAVE credit and the bill is estimated to be about $1500, what exactly is he supposed to do? DS has already tried the ignore-it-and-hope-it-goes-away method. He is working 40-60hrs per week. Today I helped DS apply for a Visa card so he can use it to pay for the dental work. It has an 18month 0% interest rate, 14% after the 18 months. Might as well put DD19 on there too--she just lost HER health insurance too.

Geez. What a mess
Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

How much is it to pull it?

Not the ideal solution but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I have very few teeth in my mouth because I could not afford the work either and when faced with a root canal and crown I couldn't pay or the $200 pulling it option that is what I had to go with. He will be fine with out a few teeth if that is what he has to do.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

I agree with Hannathy. If it is a back tooth that no one would see anyway I would pull it before I went into major debt to save it. (One tooth in the back) Maybe after that he can get on some kind of plan to have the others fixed a little at a time instead of doing it all at one time. Dental work is so expensive.

Last edited by wdwmom0f3; 10-01-2012 at 07:48 PM.
wdwmom0f3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

I would shop around. Get different opinions and price quotes.

Good luck to your son.
Social Worker Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Worker Sue View Post
I would shop around. Get different opinions and price quotes.

Good luck to your son.
I agree. I have no idea what he needs done but youch that is expensive. I am guessing he doesn't have dental insurance hence the high cost. I am also assuming his job does not offer such benefits?

What about a dental school if he can't find a lower cost? I also agree with pulling..honestly he will do fine without a tooth or two in the back and nobody will be the wiser and he will not have ongoing pain/antibiotics and work to be done on it.

For sure shop around and get some quotes or suggest he ask if they will work out a payment plan with him.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
shortbun
Peacenik

Minky-
first things first and I know the dental problem needs to be fixed.

2nd and possibly more productive issue is your son's job. If he's working 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year and makes only 14K, he's making below minimum wage and needs to find a new job. McDonalds pays $8 an hour here and lots of restaurants have servers making $20 an hour minimum with tips. Also, that's calculating only a 40 hour work week. If he's working 60 hours some weeks, he's making closer to $5-6 an hour. Help him find a better paying job. Most of my family lives around Detroit and even that area is starting to pick up employment wise. It was the worst area in the country. A better paying job or 2nd job should help him pay you back. He's only 26, right? so he should be able to handle that strategy. When I was that age, I worked in a bar on weekends, put in 50 hours as a travel agent during the week and cleaned houses in my free time.

Do all possible to avoid having to pull those teeth. Losing your teeth is a health hazard. It changes the whole structure of your mouth, jaw, ear canal sometimes and also changes the way your food digests in many cases. It often causes bad headaches, sinus damage and other side diseases. It's just NOT a good option.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
burnurcomputer
DIS Veteran

Dental schools can do work for a fraction of the cost while being supervised by an instructor, or done by an instructor with students observing. Dental schools saved my neighbor several thousand dollars recently!
burnurcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
XYSRUS
DIS Veteran

Look into a local dental school and I would go into debt to save my teeth. I'd take out a loan if I had to. Good luck.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
Kellydelly
DIS Veteran

I would consult with a dental school in your area. Or you could see if you have a plan like Careington that he could take advantage of. It is a discount dental program that you pay an annual fee to get discounts on services. I had it for me and my kids a few years ago, it isn't income based and at the time we just didn't have dental insurance.

http://www1.careington.com/

Why isn't your 19 yr old daughter on you or your husband's health plan?
Kellydelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
Minky-
first things first and I know the dental problem needs to be fixed.

2nd and possibly more productive issue is your son's job. If he's working 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year and makes only 14K, he's making below minimum wage and needs to find a new job. McDonalds pays $8 an hour here and lots of restaurants have servers making $20 an hour minimum with tips. Also, that's calculating only a 40 hour work week. If he's working 60 hours some weeks, he's making closer to $5-6 an hour. Help him find a better paying job. Most of my family lives around Detroit and even that area is starting to pick up employment wise. It was the worst area in the country. A better paying job or 2nd job should help him pay you back. He's only 26, right? so he should be able to handle that strategy. When I was that age, I worked in a bar on weekends, put in 50 hours as a travel agent during the week and cleaned houses in my free time.

Do all possible to avoid having to pull those teeth. Losing your teeth is a health hazard. It changes the whole structure of your mouth, jaw, ear canal sometimes and also changes the way your food digests in many cases. It often causes bad headaches, sinus damage and other side diseases. It's just NOT a good option.
Hmmm, maybe I got his yearly salary wrong. I know he makes right at $10/hr. No dental insurance available.

I have looked into low cost dental clinics in the metro-Atlanta area--either can't get him in within the next 2 weeks or can't get him in at all. Many of them are no longer taking new patients. I have looked into taking him to our nearest Dental school, which is 4 hours away. Not a viable option due to the amount of workhe needs and length of time to complete it(nearly 2 years). He has signed up for a discount dental plan and been to a dentist who is willing to do the rest of the work but she doesn't do root canals and crowns. When I contacted his Plan to find out who could do the work, they recommended an endodontist. The problem is, there is only ONE endodontist on the plan and he is a couple hours from here, so that's not going to happen either.

DS doesn't want the tooth pulled. His dentist has strongly advised against it, so that's what DS is hanging on to. I think if he can just get this immediate problem taken care of, then he can probably get the rest of it done as he gets the money. Phuuuuu! I just hate seeing one of my kids in pain.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
DIS Official Rum Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydelly View Post
I would consult with a dental school in your area. Or you could see if you have a plan like Careington that he could take advantage of. It is a discount dental program that you pay an annual fee to get discounts on services. I had it for me and my kids a few years ago, it isn't income based and at the time we just didn't have dental insurance.

http://www1.careington.com/

Why isn't your 19 yr old daughter on you or your husband's health plan?
She had to drop below 12 credit hours at college. The kind of health coverage we have is a special insurance offered to employees who have retired on disability. It is exempt from the new Obamacare laws (believe me, we have investigated this six ways to Sunday!) So they dropped her like a hot rock and she cannot be reinstated. I have recently taken a second job that is supposed to go part-time in January. I"m hoping that they will offer me insurance at that time so I can add hre back. In the meantiime, it's the health dept for her meds and BCPs. She works 40hrs a week at a local cafe, so she gets salary plus tips, but that money is ear-marked for her classes next semester. She has been paying for all her copays herself, and gas and clothes,etc. Thankfully, she is a very healthy girl, so far. But I realize that both of my kids are but one minor car accident from financial disaster.

The discount plan you describe sounds almost exactly like the one DS has. It came highly regarded by some good friends of ours who are self-employed (no dental insurance either.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: