Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads

Is is worth seeing the lighting ceremony for "Osborn Lights"

I have made dinner reservations at Brown Derby at 5:30 since I was going to skip Fantasmic. Then I wanted to head over to see the Osborn Lights. But now I see that there is a lighting ceremony at the beginning (around 6:00PM). Now I am debating moving my dinner res. at 4:30PM so I can see the lighting ceremony. Is it worth it? I know they run until park closing but is there something special about the lighting ceremony that we should not miss? I am going to be with my DS2 and my DS5 so we can't eat later than 6:30pm, but earlier is fine.

Has anyone been who can offer some advice?
Thank you
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

No, nothing special. They have a family picked out to turn on the big light switch, but that's really about it. If I happened to be around for it, it might be a neat little touch, but I definitely wouldn't rearrange an ADR to see it.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
jalaine
Mouseketeer

We've been there for it once. I don't know that I'd rearrange my schedule around it, BUT it is pretty neat to see! What we really loved about it was that you're in the middle of all the lights, but nothing's lit so it's pretty dark...then, all of a sudden (after a short little "speech") they all turn on at once and it really is kind of breath-taking! You'll enjoy the lights either way, but if it's not a big deal to push your dining up a bit, you might enjoy it.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
gator girl
DIS Veteran

I went to the "lighting ceremony" once. ONCE.

OP, we were packed in like sardines for at least 20 minutes prior to the big reveal. CMs kept asking people to move forward, move forward, move forward to fill in all available space until we were shoulder to shoulder the entire width of the street & as far forward and back as I could see. Parents were holding medium-sized kids who weren't in strollers but were small enough to get pushed around by the crowd. There would have been no possible way to even squirm out of the crowd to go to the bathroom & make your way back in successfully, because they kept packing in the crowd behind us until it was all the way out of the Streets of America area.

And then? After all that buildup? I couldn't even see whatever was going on during the "ceremony" part. Presumably a small stage with something happening up there? Idk. All I could see was the heads of people standing around me.

Then they turned on the lights. It took nearly 30 minutes for the crowd to dissipate enough that I could freely walk back & forth across the street to check out the alleys and the stuff on the other side.

There is NO WAY that I would ever do that again. I'd have a leisurely dinner and stroll over to the Lights whenever I got around to it, knowing that the post-Fantasmic crowds get a bump as well.
gator girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
XDISCM
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra View Post
I have made dinner reservations at Brown Derby at 5:30 since I was going to skip Fantasmic. Then I wanted to head over to see the Osborn Lights. But now I see that there is a lighting ceremony at the beginning (around 6:00PM). Now I am debating moving my dinner res. at 4:30PM so I can see the lighting ceremony. Is it worth it? I know they run until park closing but is there something special about the lighting ceremony that we should not miss? I am going to be with my DS2 and my DS5 so we can't eat later than 6:30pm, but earlier is fine.

Has anyone been who can offer some advice?
Thank you
No, it's not worth rearranging your schedule. My wife and I actually prefer to go during the last Fantasmic or after the last Fantasmic of the night. It's not really advertised, but the O Lights stay on up to an hour after normal park closing. That's the best time to go! Hardly any crowds then.
XDISCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Alexsandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator girl View Post
I went to the "lighting ceremony" once. ONCE.

OP, we were packed in like sardines for at least 20 minutes prior to the big reveal. CMs kept asking people to move forward, move forward, move forward to fill in all available space until we were shoulder to shoulder the entire width of the street & as far forward and back as I could see. Parents were holding medium-sized kids who weren't in strollers but were small enough to get pushed around by the crowd. There would have been no possible way to even squirm out of the crowd to go to the bathroom & make your way back in successfully, because they kept packing in the crowd behind us until it was all the way out of the Streets of America area.

And then? After all that buildup? I couldn't even see whatever was going on during the "ceremony" part. Presumably a small stage with something happening up there? Idk. All I could see was the heads of people standing around me.

Then they turned on the lights. It took nearly 30 minutes for the crowd to dissipate enough that I could freely walk back & forth across the street to check out the alleys and the stuff on the other side.

There is NO WAY that I would ever do that again. I'd have a leisurely dinner and stroll over to the Lights whenever I got around to it, knowing that the post-Fantasmic crowds get a bump as well.
I just can picture you squished like sardine holding your kids. No thanks! I'll just go after dinner like I was planning.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
ktlm
DIS Veteran

We've done it once. It was packed and we were no where near where the ceremony was. It was neat to see them come on from nothing, but it was also so packed that you could barely move through them, and could barely get to or see any of the the lower areas of the displays. My DD was 4 that year and she was miserable. She couldn't get out of there fast enough. It was like we were squeezed into the middle of a sardine can and pushed through the area in the center of the crowd. I much prefer going through the lights after the initial rush has died down. I'd say with 2 little ones, I wouldn't do the opening ceremony crowd crush. If you can avoid walking through right after a Fantasmic lets out, that is better as that whole crowd will pretty much filter through the lights, but we've done it that way too, and at least it was significantly less crowded than the opening time.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
Alexsandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDISCM View Post
No, it's not worth rearranging your schedule. My wife and I actually prefer to go during the last Fantasmic or after the last Fantasmic of the night. It's not really advertised, but the O Lights stay on up to an hour after normal park closing. That's the best time to go! Hardly any crowds then.
Oh thanks for the tip! I am going on the 11th of Dec. on a Monday night so it shouldn't be too packed but I'm sure it is much more enjoyable when there is hardly anyone on the street.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Alexsandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlm View Post
We've done it once. It was packed and we were no where near where the ceremony was. It was neat to see them come on from nothing, but it was also so packed that you could barely move through them, and could barely get to or see any of the the lower areas of the displays. My DD was 4 that year and she was miserable. She couldn't get out of there fast enough. It was like we were squeezed into the middle of a sardine can and pushed through the area in the center of the crowd. I much prefer going through the lights after the initial rush has died down. I'd say with 2 little ones, I wouldn't do the opening ceremony crowd crush. If you can avoid walking through right after a Fantasmic lets out, that is better as that whole crowd will pretty much filter through the lights, but we've done it that way too, and at least it was significantly less crowded than the opening time.
Oh thanks! That is exactly what I want to avoid: my 5 and 2 year old miserable because they can't see anything. I'll take everyones advice and skip the lighting ceremony. I'll go after dinner or at the end of our park day around closing time.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
Cibahwewah
DIS Veteran

We went about Dec3rd or so, 2 yrs ago. Got there about 15-20 minutes early, stood right at the rope so kiddos had an unobstructed view. They ate Christmas cookies while we waited. Very quickly the crowd filled in, but it wasn't sardine-like (as is the line for Fantasmic during BTG season when they only showed it a couple times per week...another story). I thought it was neat to see the lights come on, but we didn't stay long, because you couldn't simply stand and admire, you had to move with the throngs of people moving up and down the street. We ate at Mama Melrose at 6:20, and went back to see the lights after but it was still just as busy.
January 2009, Pop Century, November/December 2010, Grand Floridian, January 2012, Grand Floridian, September/October 2012, Bay Lake Tower/Disney Dream, April 2013, Disneyland, July 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska, February 2014, Beach Club March 2015, Wilderness Lodge/Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Cibahwewah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

For us its not worth seeing. Oh, its semi-amusing I suppose but nothing that you'll really miss. We prefer to get to the lights about 30 minutes after they open. By then the crowds have thinned and we can wander around, rather than being carried around by the crush of crowds.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
Alexsandra

Well I think we'll be done eating around 6:30-7:00 so will head there at that time. The lighting ceremony starts at 6:00 and Fantasmic starts at 6:30 so I think the crowds will thin out by then or that is the impression I get by reading the above posts. If I see it is too busy, I'll come back around closing time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: