DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
mickeysbestfriend
DIS Veteran

Would you like an app for that?

My wife and I were sitting at the Turtle Pond bus stop chatting with other guests when we started wondering if they could make a bus tracking app for your smart phones. I'm not sure Disney would like it but it would let the guests know when they could expect then next bus to arrive and stay in their villa in cool comfort uuntil the bus was close by

DVC owner-Old Key West
Stockholder
Annual pass holder
TIW member (hate the name)

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...wtac9ku7u8.png
mickeysbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I think it would be a two edged sword. You'd have people cmplaining because they waited until the very last second to leave the comfort of their villa, running to the bus stops, and still missing the bus. Everyone has those relatives that they know will be late to their own funeral, and no app will change that.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

I think it is a great idea, in theory. The problem is that buses are not on any set schedule. A bus that leaves the MK for the Animal Kingdom may go from there to EPCOT. I think it would become an impossibility to create an app that would effectively track the system.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
i*heart*minniemouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysbestfriend View Post
My wife and I were sitting at the Turtle Pond bus stop chatting with other guests when we started wondering if they could make a bus tracking app for your smart phones. I'm not sure Disney would like it but it would let the guests know when they could expect then next bus to arrive and stay in their villa in cool comfort uuntil the bus was close by
I like that I idea....

DVC-OKW since 1997
i*heart*minniemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Disney uses GPS locators to track bus movements so it would be feasible from a technical standpoint. But I doubt they want to give guests tools which could be used to monitor and critique property-wide transportation quality.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
mickeysbestfriend
DIS Veteran

I'm thinking

the benefits would out weigh the negatives. I realize that Disney uses GPS to track it's buses but they do a poor job of it . We saw three buses in a row for the animal kingdom. If they are keeping track how does that happen ?

The app would simply let people know the approximate time the next bus would arrive so they could plan accordingly. We experiences numerous waits longer than 30 minutes and then had the same bus pull up one right behind the other.

I'm sure there are other app ideas floating around out there....maybe one for the most romantic spots in the World!

DVC owner-Old Key West
Stockholder
Annual pass holder
TIW member (hate the name)

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...wtac9ku7u8.png
mickeysbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysbestfriend View Post
the benefits would out weigh the negatives.
Maybe to you and me. But I doubt Disney would agree.

Quote:
I realize that Disney uses GPS to track it's buses but they do a poor job of it . We saw three buses in a row for the animal kingdom. If they are keeping track how does that happen ?
A computerized dispatch system directs bus traffic. I agree it's frustrating that they don't seem to have worked out all of the glitches after several years. All the more reason to not want guests seeing "under the hood" of the system.

Besides, if Disney can't prevent the system from dispatching 3 buses in a row bound for the same destination, I don't know how we can expect them to present us with accurate arrival times.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
rcchello
DIS Veteran

Since we are dreaming, how about an app that you tell it the park you want to go to and busses are reordered based on the numbers of people waiting at all the busstops. If the app notes you are not at a busstop it tells you the mileage go the nearest one ( I know you will be requesting a Disney bus to your home).

Bob
OKW - SSR
Next Trip - Fantasy Eastern

Just because it worked for me or worked this way in the past or is part of the great Dis lore is no reason it will work this way in the future. Depending on the CM you get, new interpretation of the rules, changes in rules, weather over the Himalayas, your results may be different.
rcchello is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: