Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
BYC
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,792

Checked baggage on Southwest

Can I fill a suitcase with food products, and a small soft cooler with an ice pack with a few small perishables, and a toaster, and check it on Southwest? We have an AoA suite, which has a microwave, but would like to be able to toast an English muffin. Also, bottles of water?(I would like to put as many bottles of water as could fit, and still be under the required 50 pounds)
BYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
kamik86
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,665

A few things:
1) I wouldn't put anything that would open to easily if bounced around. Baggage is not handled delicately so your English muffins or bread for toast would probably be squished.

2) Bottles of water would quickly get heavy, as would ice but you already mentioned the weight limit so your aware of that.
__________________
Me and DH (25 and 27) Mickey Minnie Daisy
kamik86 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
BYC
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,792

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamik86 View Post
A few things:
1) I wouldn't put anything that would open to easily if bounced around. Baggage is not handled delicately so your English muffins or bread for toast would probably be squished.

2) Bottles of water would quickly get heavy, as would ice but you already mentioned the weight limit so your aware of that.
I think I could figure a way to keep the food from getting squished. What I was wondering is if Southwest will allow it. I went to their website, which has an inactive link to answer this question. I basically want cereal, bread, butter, cream cheese, Parmalat milk, and water. Just stuff for a quick breakfast. Thanks!!
BYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney
 
dburg30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 6,954

Yes you can put any of that in your checked baggage. As other have stated, luggage isnt treated nicely, weight will add up fast, and if it busts open or spills try to make sure it is contained to your luggage..
__________________
Join me for a recap of the 2014 DOPEY 4 race challenge on facebook at Darrell Goes Dopey!
dburg30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
ironz
could always use some pixie dust
 
ironz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: TX
Posts: 2,098

Two things to consider, though the bottom line answer is, yes, those things are allowed.

1) Perishables like butter and cream cheese (and I don't know if that type of milk is more perishable or not)....you must feel very secure in the idea that whatever ice and cooler you have is going to keep them cold. If you have aircraft delays or your luggage is sitting in the sun at your departure airport, any connection point, or in Florida, things can heat up fairly quickly. I personally would feel more comfortable bringing things like that on a nonstop flight, but would more likely just buy cream cheese and milk when I got to WDW. (I personally don't worry as much about butter refrigeration...but that's me.)

2) Between the water and the cooler if softsided and the ice...there is plenty of liquid there that could melt and get onto your other packed items and/or seep through to other passenger's luggage. Please consider double-bagging in plastic anything that might leak/melt.

Have you considered a grocery delivery?
__________________
Betsy

"The miles aren't going to run themselves."

ironz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
evaready51
A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes!
 
evaready51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 251

TSA will probably check your bags and look at what liquids
evaready51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
BYC
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,792

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironz View Post
Two things to consider, though the bottom line answer is, yes, those things are allowed.

1) Perishables like butter and cream cheese (and I don't know if that type of milk is more perishable or not)....you must feel very secure in the idea that whatever ice and cooler you have is going to keep them cold. If you have aircraft delays or your luggage is sitting in the sun at your departure airport, any connection point, or in Florida, things can heat up fairly quickly. I personally would feel more comfortable bringing things like that on a nonstop flight, but would more likely just buy cream cheese and milk when I got to WDW. (I personally don't worry as much about butter refrigeration...but that's me.)

2) Between the water and the cooler if softsided and the ice...there is plenty of liquid there that could melt and get onto your other packed items and/or seep through to other passenger's luggage. Please consider double-bagging in plastic anything that might leak/melt.

Have you considered a grocery delivery?
The ice pack I have is a small, hard sided pack that will not break, so I don't worry about that. I don't know if there is a minimum grocery order or not, but we really only need a few things, and Southwest does not charge for a second bag. Parmalat milk does not need refrigeration until opened, and I am sure the butter and cream cheese would be OK. Our flight is not that long. I would put the water bottles in one of those giant size zip locks, just in case.
BYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,173

Your only problem is the toaster, as usually you are not allowed to use these in Disney hotel rooms (fire hazard).
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
ExPirateShopGirl
My posts are sanitized for your protection!
Oh, sorry. The dog just peed on it.
 
ExPirateShopGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SAN BOS MCW
Posts: 5,042

Just an FYI - The food court at AoA will have toasters and condiments for toast.

The TSA WILL open your bag to inspect the items and they will NOT return it to its pre-inspection packed style.

And, as previously pointed out, toasters are not allowed in Disney hotel rooms as they may present a fire hazard.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BYC View Post
The ice pack I have is a small, hard sided pack that will not break, so I don't worry about that. I don't know if there is a minimum grocery order or not, but we really only need a few things, and Southwest does not charge for a second bag. Parmalat milk does not need refrigeration until opened, and I am sure the butter and cream cheese would be OK. Our flight is not that long. I would put the water bottles in one of those giant size zip locks, just in case.
__________________
ExPirateShopGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,173

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPirateShopGirl View Post

The TSA WILL open your bag to inspect the items and they will NOT return it to its pre-inspection.
Good point. Food in bags almost always triggers a bag inspection.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

I had a jar of peanut butter and a spoon the first year and my bag was opened and inspected. They did leave a note, but the bag was not as neatly as I packed it.

Also, forgive me, but I am very passionate about fire codes. If you bring a toaster from home, it is not verified by Disney to be in working order. If a fire starts and it is found to be the fault of the toaster, you could be held liable for any damage.

Also, all of the items you mentioned are available in any DVC resort. Why risk damaging your luggage and someone else's to save a few bucks.
__________________




Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.