Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #1066
mizscarlett
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Five rooms?! You have your hands full - but really, what fun! I like that you've already decided not to try and see and do everything during Christmas. But, try and take advantage of the lower crowds the first 2-3 days you're there. You will notice a big increase in the crowds around the 23rd, but prior to that, try and see and do all the important stuff. From the 23-26, make sure you arrive early to the parks and grab at least one FP for the day. ADRs are a must and I would suggest heading back to WL after lunch. The parks are really going to fill up fast, but you can still get some rides in during the parades

While the parks are packed near and after Christmas, the Deluxe resorts aren't due to the limited (if any) availability of discounts. Take some time out at WL and FW, too. Happy planning. Would you like your stay noted in the Lodgers' Log on the first page?
Yes that would be great! I appreciate the tips.

We are doing MVMCP on the 20th. What a MAGICAL first visit to the MK!!! I can't wait.

I also just called to try and book the Christmas lights sleigh ride at Fort Wilderness. There was only one sleigh left on the last sleigh on Christmas Day. Guess who will get it? We aren't telling the kids.... if I can stand the excitement!

I found a great blog that analyzes which park to go to on which day. Of course it suggests staying far far away from MK & Epcot on Christmas Eve & Day! We plan to follow those suggestions and only go to Akershus for breakfast on Christmas Day before taking a boat to DHS. Christmas Eve will be spent at AK with lunch at Tusker House. We plan to enjoy WL that evening with whatever festivities they have planned at WL. Hopefully Smores and Santa will be on the agenda!
__________________
Kara
Long-time Lover of all things DISNEY!

1981 - Contemporary
1984 - offsite
1987 - offsite
1997 - honeymooned at Dixie Landings
2003 - offsite
2006 - Beach Club
2008 - All Star Sports
2008 - Yacht Club
2011 - Disneyland Hotel - my son won the Disney Planet Challenge!
2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Wilderness Lodge - coming soon!
mizscarlett is offline  
Old 09-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #1067
StEpHandMiKe<3Disney
DIS Veteran
 
StEpHandMiKe<3Disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,070

Thanks everyone! I'm going to speak to a manager in the morning.
__________________
Mike 32 Steph 32 Genevieve 7 months
WDW '04 ~ WL WDW '06~ WL Proposal
WDW '07 ~ WL Honeymoon WDW '08 ~ WL 1st Anniversary DL Aug '08 ~ HOJO WDW '09 ~ WL 2nd Anniversary WDW Feb '10 ~ WL my Birthday! DL July '10 ~ HOJO WDW May '11 ~ WL 4th Anniversary A WDW Christmas '11 WL WDW Halloween '12
WDW May 2017 WL Daughter's First Trip
StEpHandMiKe<3Disney is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #1068
chimommy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 352

Hello Fans of WL... Thinking about staying at WL next year. My husband and I will be traveling with our kids (2&4).

For those of you who have stayed there with little ones... Is there enough room for a pack N' play in the room? I was also thinking about getting a bunk bed room and using the guard rails for my youngest on the bottom bunk.

how is the transportation to the parks? Can you take the ferry to connect to the monorail? I really like the look of wl... but was thinking it might be nice to be at a monorail resort. Im also a little worried that rain (we will probably go in sept) might shut down the ferry... and we will be forced to take the bus everywhere. ( I hate taking strollers on the busses so I wanted to avoid it as much as we can)

Any other advice you want to offer about WL would be great. My husband really wants to stay here. I think it looks great especially since the rooms have been renovated. We are also thinking about the poly or beach club. (but we plan on spending most of our time a mk on the next trip so I think a mk resort would be best). THis will be our 5th trip to disney. We usually stay at swan and dolphin... our last trip we stayed off site (although it was a nice hotel its just not the same as being on site) So this will be our first time staying at a disney resort... I'm pretty excited about it =)
chimommy is offline  
Old 09-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #1069
hbr03
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEpHandMiKe<3Disney
Thanks everyone! I'm going to speak to a manager in the morning.
How was your first full day at MK? Are the crowd levels still kinda low? Called the WDTC today to be sure our room requests are on our res. And have started packing.
__________________
Grand Floridian ~ October 2007
Wilderness Lodge ~ October 2012

hbr03 is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #1070
Sparrow624
"I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
 
Sparrow624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Posts: 202

Making our reservations today for our first trip to the WL next summer!

Question: Has anyone had success requestion a "woods view" room with a castle/wishes view early on? We could request courtyard, but would prefer to try to get a woods view with a possible castle/wishes view. I know this is a long shot, but has anyone ha success doing this?
__________________


2003 - Off Site - 2 nights 3 days
2006 - Grand Floridian 8 nights 9 days (Honeymoon)
2009 - Boardwalk - 3 nights 4 days
2011 - Grand Floridian - 7 nights 8 days (5 year Anniversary)
Sparrow624 is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #1071
PamelaKay
DIS Veteran
 
PamelaKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow624 View Post
Making our reservations today for our first trip to the WL next summer!

Question: Has anyone had success requestion a "woods view" room with a castle/wishes view early on? We could request courtyard, but would prefer to try to get a woods view with a possible castle/wishes view. I know this is a long shot, but has anyone ha success doing this?
I have had success. Request woods view, North wing overlooking otter pond, high floor.
__________________


Mar 2010 - AKL CL May 2010 - GF CL Nov 2010 - Dec 2010 POFQ and Poly CL
Mar 2011 - BWI, June 2011 CBR one night and split stay between WL and BCOct 2011 - POR and WL
March 2012 WL CL Oct 2012 WL CL and Dec 2012 WL CL
Mar 2013 YC CL, June 2013 Poly CL, Oct 2013 Hard Rock CL BWI CL and
Dec 2013 GF CL
Mar 2014 WL, June 2014 CR CL, and Oct/Nov 2014 WL CL
PamelaKay is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #1072
Sparrow624
"I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
 
Sparrow624's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Posts: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaKay View Post
I have had success. Request woods view, North wing overlooking otter pond, high floor.
Pamela, thank you.
__________________


2003 - Off Site - 2 nights 3 days
2006 - Grand Floridian 8 nights 9 days (Honeymoon)
2009 - Boardwalk - 3 nights 4 days
2011 - Grand Floridian - 7 nights 8 days (5 year Anniversary)
Sparrow624 is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #1073
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,252

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimommy View Post
Hello Fans of WL... Thinking about staying at WL next year. My husband and I will be traveling with our kids (2&4).

For those of you who have stayed there with little ones... Is there enough room for a pack N' play in the room? I was also thinking about getting a bunk bed room and using the guard rails for my youngest on the bottom bunk.

how is the transportation to the parks? Can you take the ferry to connect to the monorail? I really like the look of wl... but was thinking it might be nice to be at a monorail resort. Im also a little worried that rain (we will probably go in sept) might shut down the ferry... and we will be forced to take the bus everywhere. ( I hate taking strollers on the busses so I wanted to avoid it as much as we can)

Any other advice you want to offer about WL would be great. My husband really wants to stay here. I think it looks great especially since the rooms have been renovated. We are also thinking about the poly or beach club. (but we plan on spending most of our time a mk on the next trip so I think a mk resort would be best). THis will be our 5th trip to disney. We usually stay at swan and dolphin... our last trip we stayed off site (although it was a nice hotel its just not the same as being on site) So this will be our first time staying at a disney resort... I'm pretty excited about it =)
We spent 10 days at WL with our 2 year old in September. She slept in one of the Queen beds (and we didn't even request bed rails, although we understand they are available). There would be room for a pack and play though, most likely next to the armoire. It might also fit between one of the beds and the wall, but it could be pretty tight. Our rolling suitcases would fit in there, , but without much extra room so it would depend on the size of the pack and play. The bunk beds would be really nice for you guys, but that's an extra cost option. It would work in a regular two queen room.

As for transportation, we enjoyed the boats. The larger boats work great with strollers, and you usually don't have to fold them, depending on the crowd. The smaller boats do require folding the stroller, but are still probably easier than a bus since there are some seats with more room for stroller space. Also the larger boats are less likely to be affected by rain. We rode a smaller boat while it was raining and the seats were wet, but it was still running and we stayed fairly dry.

As for boating to the Monorail, we did this fairly often by boating to the Contemporary and hopping on the monorail there. It is a very short boat ride. Another alternative is to ride a boat to MK (which is a longer ride but still nice), then get on either monorail there; the express one to the TTC or the regular resort monorail that will take you to the Contemporary, TTC, Poly, and GF.

Overall we LOVE WL, and it really felt like home to us. Being very close to MK was nice, but we particularly enjoyed its secluded feel. We enjoyed visiting Fort Wilderness, which is a 15-20 minute walk or short boat ride away. Bay Lake is beautiful, and we enjoyed it from the transportation boats and on a Pontoon boat we rented one afternoon. We also really appreciated that everything at WL is under one roof, so it does very well in the rain. Another benefit that helped us make the initial decision to stay at WL is that it is less expensive than any of the Monorail resorts while in our opinion does not give up too much convenience.

Enjoy your stay, being immersed in Disney for the entire trip will make it wonderful.
GrandCalifornian is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #1074
heather13
DIS Veteran
 
heather13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 569

We're staying at VWL in a few weeks for six nights. Please remind me what to do about our trash. We'll want to dispose of pull-ups each morning - is there a place on each hall where we can take trash bags? And will enough bags be provided for us, or should I bring a couple of plastic grocery bags?

Also, just saw the suggestion to take the boat to the Contemporary instead of MK to grab the monorail. Great idea! But how long of a walk is it to the monorail then? We'll be renting a wheelchair for my mom in the parks. She's okay for short distances, but can't walk fast. We can go directly to MK when we're visiting that park, but I'm wondering if we're better off going via Contemporary for our Epcot mornings if we want to be there before 9am.
__________________
mom to two little princesses
heather13 is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #1075
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 15,774

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather13 View Post
We're staying at VWL in a few weeks for six nights. Please remind me what to do about our trash. We'll want to dispose of pull-ups each morning - is there a place on each hall where we can take trash bags? And will enough bags be provided for us, or should I bring a couple of plastic grocery bags?

Also, just saw the suggestion to take the boat to the Contemporary instead of MK to grab the monorail. Great idea! But how long of a walk is it to the monorail then? We'll be renting a wheelchair for my mom in the parks. She's okay for short distances, but can't walk fast. We can go directly to MK when we're visiting that park, but I'm wondering if we're better off going via Contemporary for our Epcot mornings if we want to be there before 9am.
If you're staying at VWL on cash and not points, then you'll have daily housekeeping. If you're not, then hopefully someone else can answer your question regarding the trash.

The walk from the CR boat dock to the monorail is less than 10 minutes at a slow pace. But, if you are with someone with any mobility issues (or even if you aren't), I would instead take the bus to Epcot. There is much less walking involved and it would probably be faster than taking the boat to the CR, then walking to the monorail, waiting for the monorail, getting off the resort monorail to transfer to the Epcot monorail at the TTC then walking down from the monorail to security. Also, just in case you aren't aware, the monorail is no longer operating during PM EMH.

I hope you have a great stay at VWL and BTW, I grew up just south of you
WDWKOOK is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #1076
Broncobilly83
DIS Veteran
 
Broncobilly83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Braddock Heights, MD
Posts: 1,099

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post

The room assignor will block your room about 3 days prior to arrival. You have plenty of time to get your request into your reservation. When staying club level, the easiest way to do that is to simply email the IPO for WL at:

Wilderness.Lodge.Itinerary.Planning@disneyworld.co m

You could ask for "A Wishes view" and then ask upon check-in if you in fact have a Wishes view.
Thanks for the help. I just sent them an e-mail with our new flight times (JetBlue changed both incoming and outgoing) and I added this with it

Quote:
I just wanted to double check that we had a request in for a "Wishes" view if possible. I understand room requests are if rooms are available. I had a friend who recently stayed with you tell me I am asking for North Wing Woods View rooms which are even-numbered 7044 - 7066, but I am sure you get a lot of those requests, LOL
__________________
Trip History:
12/26/09-01/02/10 Trip Report, POFQ - http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2365147
10/11/10-10/17/10 - Honeymoon, Wilderness Lodge
11/07/12-11/13/12 - Anniversary/Birthday, Wilderness Lodge Club Level
11/12/14-11/18/12 - Anniversary/Birthday/Christmas, Wilderness Lodge

Broncobilly83 is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #1077
babyberger
DIS Veteran
 
babyberger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,793

Could anyone there now (or going soon) post what time the campfire/marshmallow roast is? And also what the movie line up is for October?

Thank you, thank you!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
My Recent Deluxe Splurge Sept 2012 - YC, Oct 2012 - WL, Dec 2012 - CR CL, Feb 2013 - CR TPV
Starting the weekend trips again!

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds


Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
babyberger is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #1078
TinkPirateMom
DIS Veteran
 
TinkPirateMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 939

I called WDTC and tried to request a Wishes view. She said she could not put that in but could put in facing the theme park. Does that seem right or should I call back? We booked a Woods View Bunk Bed Room.
__________________
Me DH DD16 DS4

TinkPirateMom is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #1079
heather13
DIS Veteran
 
heather13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 569

Thanks WDWKOOK! (and you're not missing the weather in IN - it's COLD right now!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
If you're staying at VWL on cash and not points, then you'll have daily housekeeping. If you're not, then hopefully someone else can answer your question regarding the trash.

The walk from the CR boat dock to the monorail is less than 10 minutes at a slow pace. But, if you are with someone with any mobility issues (or even if you aren't), I would instead take the bus to Epcot. There is much less walking involved and it would probably be faster than taking the boat to the CR, then walking to the monorail, waiting for the monorail, getting off the resort monorail to transfer to the Epcot monorail at the TTC then walking down from the monorail to security. Also, just in case you aren't aware, the monorail is no longer operating during PM EMH.

I hope you have a great stay at VWL and BTW, I grew up just south of you
We've rented points, so no daily mousekeeping. Anyone who knows about trash - please let me know!

Taking the bus to Epcot is something we really want to avoid if possible. We'll have to ride them enough for other parks & DTD. A perk of WL is the boat. Will we be cutting it too close to take the boat to MK, then catch the monorail from there? I only vaguely remember this, but it seemed like the boat docked pretty close to the station.
__________________
mom to two little princesses
heather13 is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #1080
tardin1964
I need it.....
I want it.....
Please........
 
tardin1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather13
Thanks WDWKOOK! (and you're not missing the weather in IN - it's COLD right now!)

We've rented points, so no daily mousekeeping. Anyone who knows about trash - please let me know!

Taking the bus to Epcot is something we really want to avoid if possible. We'll have to ride them enough for other parks & DTD. A perk of WL is the boat. Will we be cutting it too close to take the boat to MK, then catch the monorail from there? I only vaguely remember this, but it seemed like the boat docked pretty close to the station.
To me it doesn't make much sense to take the boat to MK to catch the monorail to Epoct. I don't love taking the bus either and in my 3 stays at WL we have taken the boat/monorail route to get to Epoct. But it takes at least an hour to do this route. And if you have some bad luck and miss connections its going to take a good deal longer. With having to make three connections there is more opportunities for something to go wrong too. In the morning when I want to get to a park for rope drop I want to get there as fast as possible which is by bus. My suggestion is to take the bus in the morning when you need to be at Epcot at a certain time. Take the monorail/boat route on your way back to WL when you won't have the same time constraints.
__________________

Poly 8/79, 8/81, 8/83
GF 8/92
WL 11/03, 11/05, 8/08
DCL 11/10
POFQ 6/11
tardin1964 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: