Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

Lightroom, Photoshop....both?

What is the difference between these and do you need on of the other or both?

I am a learning amateur, not a graphic artist or someone looking for commercial level prints.

I read the web pages but it's corporate speak:

>>>Lightroom includes all the tools you need for most digital photography tasks in one intuitive solution. Lightroom helps photographers work faster and more efficiently with one image, a set of images, or a large image library. Adobe Photoshop software is the industry standard in digital image editing, with advanced tools used by photographers, graphic designers, and other graphics professionals when they need complete control to perform detailed, pixel-level editing and to work with multilayered files.<<<

So it sounds like Photoshop is for heavy duty pixel level editing and LR is more user friendly?
Old 06-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
MICKEY88
if you keep falling off of the planet...
It might be time for a one piece
100% Male Disney nut!

lightroom will allow you to adjust exposure, white balance sharpness. etc, fatser easier and do batch processing, it is also a great caataloging tool,

photoshop although the industry standard is overkill for most people, either adobe elements, or corels paint shop pro, are less expensive and will do what most people need it to do, cloning out objects, more in depth processing than lightroom

I've used paint shop pro for years, veryhappy with it, decided to buy lightroom last august to process a wedding I shot, figutred the batch processing would be better for me, I love lightroom, now do all my basic processing with it, turning to paint shop pro only when I wnt to get creative

Pirate Rule #9: A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.
Pirate Rule #11: No pirate shall ever wear a “fanny pack”.
Pirate Rule # 17: Three-cornered hats, headbands and bandanas are the only acceptable headwear for pirates. Fedoras, bowler derbies, baseball caps, MICKEY EARS, top hats, sombreros, or anything with lace and flowers will be removed from the vessel– head included. A grace period of one minute is allowed for hats looted from a tailory.
MICKEY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

If you just want RAW processing and basic editing along with great image management tools, Lightroom will do it for you. I use both Lightroom and Photoshop CS5. I do 80% of my editing in Lightroom but it's not a substitute for Photoshop for the more advanced editing tools I sometimes need. (often for selective sharpening or color correction with masks)

Download the free trials at Adobe.com. Try them for 30 days and see which one works best for you.

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

I just found out the new LR4 is 50% cheaper than before.

I had decided last year $300 might be a bit much right now.

But $149 sure sounds a lotttt better.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
njtree
Mouseketeer

light room is all i use. as said above easy for simple edit and clean up. Catalog and set up your folder plus easy upload to flickr.

Photo shop you can change anything in the photo. I go by the rule of take the photo you want not make the photo you want.

-Dan
njtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

Thanks.

I have a basic question that believe it or not I can't find an easy answer to! So many people and web sites are so far beyond the basics that this kind of simple question isn't answered (or my google skills stink).

Anyway...will LR be all I need to import, edit, export, buy and organize pictures?

Right now I import off my camera using the Canon EOS Utility. They go into My Pictures in Windows 7 and I prefer the to go into "shooting month".

Then I open Canon DPP and make some edits.

then I go to Zoombrowser to look at slide shows or show to family, and I organize within Zoombrowser by creating new folders and dragging pictures.

When I want to use Flickr or Photobucket I go to those websites and use their upload features to find my photos on my hard drive and upload. When I want to buy prints I upload to Kodak (soon to be Shutterfly) via their upload tool.

How much of all that does LR do?

I really appreciate any answers to what is a fairly tedious topic for experienced workflow people I'm sure.

Thanks.

ETA: I am definitely going to download LR4 and play with it...but right now I don't have a lot of RAW images so I want to shoot a bit first. In the meantime this basic info would be great to know!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandReneePlus5 View Post

Anyway...will LR be all I need to import, edit, export, buy and organize pictures?
Yes. You can set it up to import when you put a memory card in the computer. As long as you're just talking more basic editing and RAW processing (as in not cloning, head swapping, etc) it will meet that. And you can get a plug in for LR that sends it to a site where you can buy pictures. An example, I use smugmug and have the plug in to upload directly from lightroom. It has extensive organization tools, from metadata tags to a flagging system. It also has the ability to sort by EXIF data information, like if you want to find every shot with your 50mm f/1.8, you can.

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

Last edited by photo_chick; 06-12-2012 at 03:05 PM.
photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
Yes. You can set it up to import when you put a memory card in the computer. As long as you're just talking more basic editing and RAW processing (as in not cloning, head swapping, etc) it will meet that. And you can get a plug in for LR that sends it to a site where you can buy pictures. An example, I use smugmug and have the plug in to upload directly from lightroom. It has extensive organization tools, from metadata tags to a flagging system. It also has the ability to sort by EXIF data information, like if you want to find every shot with your 50mm f/1.8, you can.
thank you...for this and ALLLLLL your helpful posts. you've answered so many of my questions!

really appreciate it.

PS I did find a great article on Importing right on the Adobe LR page. Don't know how I missed it the first go round.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
njtree
Mouseketeer

I have my import into lightroom when I hook up my camera. From there I can split the (new) folders and (new) imports. I can upload from lightroom right to flickr. As lightroom has a flickr plug in.
njtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

I wasn't sure what all Lightroom did, to be honest, but fell for the "add it for only" popup on the Adobe site when I purchased CS6. Now I'm so glad I have it because I can't imagine trying to work without it.

It allows you to quickly import and organize your photos. In addition to helping you organize them on disk while importing, you can also create collections to sort them on a large variety of filtering tools. There are even smart collections that will automatically add photos to themselves based on keywords, exif data or even geotag data. (For example, if you create a smart collection based on a circle you draw around Epcot on a map and have a camera with GPS capability, any photo you upload from Epcot will automatically add itself to the Epcot smart collection. If your camera doesn't do GPS, you can drag your photos onto a map in Lightroom to geotag them yourself.)

There are great tools in Lightroom for adjusting the look of photos. It won't do fancy editing, as others have said, but it will give you what you need to work with most of your RAW photos. (Complex tasks that require masking or smart erasing, for example, will need another tool like Photoshop CS6 or Photoshop Elements.)

There are tools for creating slide shows and photo books, and integrated tools to upload and maintain your photos on most of the major photo sharing sites like Photobucket, Flickr, Smugmug, Facebook, and Adobe Revel. You can also set Lightroom to automatically add a copyright watermark to your photos as it uploads them. If you have geotag (map) data in Lightroom, you can set it to transmit this info when you upload photos online. For example, my photos are automatically added to my Flickr map if I've mapped them in Lightroom.

The Lightroom map feature itself is really cool. You can view a satellite map, zoom in on a location, and click to see the photos you took at that location.

Another feature that I also really like is the ability to sync changes you've made in one photo to many photos. For example, if you've taken a series of photos in the same location that have a similar look, when you make changes to exposure, contrast, color, white balance, etc., you can sync those changes to the other photos and not have to do them all individually.

I agree with the recommendation of a previous poster. If we haven't convinced you that you need this tool, download the free trial from Adobe and give it a test drive. Also, check out some of the training videos for Lightroom on Adobe TV (their free online training site). http://tv.adobe.com/product/lightroom/

And my final piece of advice, before you buy anything from Adobe, please check to see if your household qualifies for the education discount. It will save you a lot of money. Lightroom is only $79 with this discount. You need to have either a .edu email address or upload copies of a student/teacher/faculty ID and/or other documentation to activate the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adobe Web Site qualifications for education discount
Students
You must provide official, current proof of enrollment in one of the following:
  • Accredited* public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction
  • Accredited* higher education institution that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two years of full-time study
  • Homeschool — as defined by state homeschooling regulations

Teachers, faculty, and staff
You must provide official, current proof that you are employed by one of the following:
  • Accredited* primary or secondary school
  • Accredited* public or private university or college
  • School district or board of education (including emeritus status professors)
  • Homeschool — as defined by state homeschooling regulations

Last edited by BirdsOfPreyDave; 06-12-2012 at 09:46 PM.
BirdsOfPreyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

just wanted to say thanks BirdsofPreyDave....really appreciate all the info
Old 06-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
SrisonS
... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name) ;)

If you want to get a book on pretty much everything Lightroom can do, maybe check out Scott Kelby's Lightroom 4 for Digital Photographers. I have his LR3 version, and absolutely love it. Very easy to read and follow. And he can be pretty amusing too.
SrisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Do you have school age kids? If so, check out the educational software sites for the best prices. I bought my LR3 from Journey Ed a couple years ago and got a great price at the time.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #14
meanpc
Mouseketeer

Lightroom/Photoshop is certainly a powerful combination. If you don't shoot RAW, you might find Photoshop Elements to be good enough. It's got a nice Catalog system to organize photos, and the Elements Editor is more than enough pixel editing for 99% of us.

You could also use Lightroom along with the Photoshop Elements editor instead of Photoshop.

The main things you lose by using Photoshop Elements are easy batch job handling and a lot of plug-ins and actions will only work in Photoshop. Some do work in both though.
meanpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

just to say that Lightroom4 is AMAZING.

it is so easy to use. Very intuitive. I was impressed with how I could just begin to figure out what to do by looking at the interface and simply using common sense.

I had seen enough of Photoshop over the years to be intimidated. LR is not intimidating at all. Eventually I can get into the nitty gritty of how it works but the left to right, top to bottom workflow is really simple to get a handle on it and you can be up and running making pictures better in a matter of minutes.

Also...thanks for the head's up on pricing. With 5 kids in the house there are plenty of opportunities for learning and we qualify for the student pricing which is now..... $54 on Amazon.

just in case there are other newbies like me out there that don't have it or didn't want to spend $150 for it.....for $54 it's a no-brainer IMO...if all you got were the Adjustment Brushes it would be worth that price but you get a lot more.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: