Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
capeseal
DIS Veteran

Just back from our first September trip. A few thoughts:

We had a wonderful trip and came home last night. I'd say 90% of our visit was better than expected and I'm excited for our next visit though I am not certain whether that will be in 2013 or 2014 right now.

*We stayed at the Yacht Club. It was our first time staying deluxe (second time not staying on SOG, which we love.)
-I really liked this resort. It was our second choice (BC was our first) but I was glad we ended up there because it felt a little quieter with all of the same amenities. Our first room was as far from the lobby as possible and we thought that would be okay, but my mom had knee replacement last year and extra walking is still a little tough. We called to ask and were immediately moved closer to the elevators. Wonderful, gracious service from everyone on staff.
-Stormalong Bay was awesome even with little ones (4 years and 17 months). The zero-entry sand bottom pool was perfect for them. It was never very crowded either.
-We are now spoiled from being able to walk to Epcot and HS, as well as over to the Boardwalk. I loathe Disney buses with a stroller and two littles so this was outstanding. (DS is squirmy on buses and sitting is tough for me with my back.) Technically (depending upon how far one is willing to walk, you only need to take the bus to AK, DtD, and water parks when staying at an Epcot resort. We thought this was fantastic.)
-I dislike sugary drinks, but the slushies over in the Boardwalk candy shop are the BEST remedy for an overheated, overtired family. I had one almost every day of our trip.
-The other best heat buster is grabbing a shaved ice in Japan and sitting on a wall in the shadow of the pagoda for 20 minutes. Really refreshing.

*Everyone was right, the heat and humidity were pretty rough.
-We had to be diligent about getting back to our resort to rest by 2 when the sun became a little unbearable for us. (See above for our best cure )
-We ran the ToT 10-miler on our last night and it was ridiculously humid, but kind of fun
-We brought filtered water bottles so we stayed completely hydrated and saved a ton of money on bottled water (and I didn't even mind the taste from the sink in our room thanks to the filter.
-I think we prefer the possible cold of January to the heat of September, but I'm really glad we gave it a try and we loved the Halloween feel and the MNSSHP.

*People were pretty kind and considerate, overall.
-It may have been my new resolution not to let other people being unpleasant bother me, but I thought we met more calm and thoughtful people than inconsiderate ones.
-In the few instances where folks were not behaving well, I just went the other way or ignored it. We had a wonderful, calm, fun vibe to our trip and no one else got in the way of that with their own negativity.
-We had an amazingly considerate guy who rearranged his family so that DD and I could sit for the Boo to You parade. He didn't need to do it, but it was so nice that he wanted to. We always squeezed to make room for others during the remainder of our trip to "pay it forward." Sometimes it meant ending up one or two people back in a line because we weren't aggressively trying to keep a spot. It really didn't matter if we ended up getting someplace one bus or monorail after, or retail line spot later.

*Pixie dust and other nice moments:
-Peter Pan saw us waiting for Tiana Saturday morning and headed over to hang out for about 5+ minutes with DD and another little girl. He chatted, signed, took pictures, and the girls were starstruck. He then took two other completely thrilled little girls by the hand and headed off to sign autographs. What an awesome moment! DD is in love
-1900 Park Fare for dinner was pretty good in terms of food and we had fantastic interactions. Will definitely go again.
-If we had to ride Small World 7 times, it was nice that we never had to wait more than 5 minutes to do it
-Cast members made a big deal over DD's special Tiana and pink Cinderella dresses designed and sewn by a friend. DD felt like an extra-special princess all week.

*First Disney race
-There's definitely something magical about only being able to train to run 5-miles but eking out 10 with only three short walk breaks. We are considering planning our next trip around another Disney run now and will absolutely add a family 5k to the big run so that the kids can enjoy it too.
-It might be tiring to run on the last day of a trip, but it was better than running at the beginning and limping through the rest of the week. I'm still sore almost two days after running.

*A few "needs improvement" observations:
-We thought the interactions at Akershus for breakfast were poor and really rushed. We had eaten there in the past and had a nice time, but this time they had added a "princess parade" that cut into meet-up time with a silly walk around the dining room. DD liked it, but we won't go back when we can easily meet three princesses with a fast pass in the MK and have better, less expensive breakfasts elsewhere.
-Maybe we only noticed it this time because we cut through there so often, but the number of really inebriated people in the World Showcase was off-putting. Having a couple of drinks or sampling wine is one thing but we observed lots of shouting and stumbling and people behaving poorly in the early afternoon. I know it was the first weekend of Food & Wine but it was hard to navigate the crush of very drunk park-goers. I like beer and the samples are part of the experience in tasting certain things, but I can't imagine going to Epcot with the purpose of getting smashed. Saw a really drunk mom yelling at her baby while we were waiting to meet Marie in France and it just made me a little sad.
-Two really surly cast members. Didn't let it get to me at all, but I felt a little annoyed that they were so unpleasant. I don't think cast members always have to be over-the-top enthusiastic, but seething with anger while I smile and order a cup of coffee or ask for a silhouette was a bit much.

Great trip, overall and looking forward to our next. very minimal number of almost meltdown moments from the kids, loads of great memories, and almost two entire autograph books of character meets.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Leona Fishback
Mouseketeer

sounds like a great trip...now you've got me thinking about a disney run!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

I'm glad you stayed at the Yacht Club instead of the Beach Club. A friend is staying there now and had to check out early. There were roaches all through her room. They exterminated twice and still didn't get rid of them. Roaches were coming out of the light sockets and through the bathtub and sink drains. She was so creeped out that they would only go in the room just long enough to sleep and get right out of there asap in the morning. Housekeeping made her feel like she was inconveniencing them. She did not get a discount or a refund. It was a horrible experience. Management handed her off to housekeeping saying it was a housekeeping issue. They really didn't want to have anything to do with it and kept asking her to speak with housekeeping. I would have been demanding some sort of discount or refund but she just wanted to get out of there and was sick of arguing with them.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
mdelaney123
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMommy View Post
I'm glad you stayed at the Yacht Club instead of the Beach Club. A friend is staying there now and had to check out early. There were roaches all through her room. They exterminated twice and still didn't get rid of them. Housekeeping made her feel like she was inconveniencing them. She did not get a discount or a refund. It was a horrible experience. Management handed her off to housekeeping saying it was a housekeeping issue. They really didn't want to have anything to do with it and kept asking her to speak with housekeeping. I would have been demanding some sort of discount or refund but she just wanted to get out of there and was sick of arguing with them.
Roaches? Wow. And the hotel would do nothing? What the heck? I have never had an issue when I stayed at a Disney hotel.

I am going at the end of the month and staying at an All Star, and now you have me worried...
Old 10-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
nigel-bigel
DIS Veteran

Capeseal, thanks for sharing the details of your trip, it sounds like you really had a wonderful time. I am a big fan of the YC as well.

Also glad to hear you enjoyed 1900 Park Fair. I have ADRS for our upcoming trip but I was a little apprehensive about them. I liked reading you had such a nice time...

Congratulations on your runs!

Nicole
Nov 01 Yacht Club
Feb 02 Boardwalk Inn
Oct 02 Dolphin
Apr 04 Disneyland
Oct 04 PO - French Quarter
Nov 06 Coronado Springs
Jan 11 Boardwalk Villas
Jan 13 PO - Riverside
Old 10-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Just moving from TPAS to TR board

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: