Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Bitsmommy
Mouseketeer

Inhalers on planes??

I have read all that I can, however most of the information that I found was posted in 2010. I just want to make sure that I can take inhalers in my carry on. I have an entire bag of medical supplies, including my son's Gtube supplies. I fully expect an anal probe and I am totally ok with that! I just want to make sure that I am not missing some regulation somewhere that says they aren't allowed anymore because they are aerosol, technically. I have brand new ones in a box with a prescription label attached to them if that matters any.

I have a letter from the doctor regarding the rectal anti convulsant and his liquid nutrition (formula...in NON TSA terms). I am hoping that they will just take pity on me with the KY...yes, KY jelly I have to bring in case his tube has to be replaced, because I forgot to ask the doctor to put that in the note. HOPING that I can get a small enough tube that I can just put it in the 3:1:1 bag.

We leave in a week. I have a CRAZY schedule with work and won't have time to deal with packing again after this weekend until THURSDAY night. We get up at 5:00am to leave for our flight. ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS????? You all have been so helpful so far. Thank you from the bottom of our Mickey loving hearts!!
Old 09-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
ldo
DIS Veteran

I know asthma inhalers are fine. I travel with 3 in my purse--rescue, and 2 different strengths of steriods. Just flew to/from in Aug. also OK for international travel. If you have Dr. note and presciption labels, you should be fine (but I have never even been questioned). Don't know about other stuff. If more than 3 oz, you will need Dr. note for KY. I suggest 2 packages each less than 3 oz.
ldo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
Bitsmommy
Mouseketeer

That is exactly what I thought. But, I wanted to make sure and not assume. I am going to find less than 3 ounce KY, so that I don't have to explain that to TSA.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
book_junkie
DIS Veteran

If you're really worried about the inhalers (I have family that has them, and we've *NEVER* had a problem), go to your local pharmacy and have them print up separate prescription labels that can go directly on the inhalers themselves. My brother's inhalers have the labels on the boxes, and he never bothers with labeling them when he flies (and he does a lot for work travel across the country), but if you're worried that should do it. The extra label could go around the plastic part and labelled medical supplies.

They could also label the KY jelly if it's a prescription.

Past Trips: Nov-Dec 20130; May 2013 WDW; Oct-Nov 2012 WDW; Oct 2011 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct/Nov 2010 WDW; Oct 2010 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct 2009 WDW; June 2008 DL ; Nov 2007 WDW Clan Reunion; Nov 2004 WDW; June 1994 WDW Family Trip; March 1986 WDW Family Trip
book_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
ForAandA
Tiggerlicious

I fly about once a month, and ALWAYS have my inhalers on me. I have never, ever had an issue

ForAandA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
Bitsmommy
Mouseketeer

The ky isn't a prescription, but is medically necessary to replace a gTube if the balloon pops or it gets pulled out, which will likely be about 2 times while we are there. He is a rough kiddo no one told him that medically he shouldn't be able to sit up. So he walks, runs, jumps, climbs and acts crazy, he is just more clumsy than the average two year old.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
ksh1111
Earning My Ears

your ky will be fine. It is medical in TSA terms, just put it with the other medical supplies and they won't examine it. I travel with tons of meds all the time, including inhalers and liquid meds.
ksh1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsmommy View Post
I have read all that I can, however most of the information that I found was posted in 2010. I just want to make sure that I can take inhalers in my carry on. I have an entire bag of medical supplies, including my son's Gtube supplies.

I have a letter from the doctor regarding the rectal anti convulsant and his liquid nutrition (formula...in NON TSA terms).
Why not just go to the source, TSA.gov and read the rules? You are not required to have a note for medications.

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/special_needs_memo.pdf

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
delilah
DIS Veteran

My son's inhalers are small enough to fit in my quart zip lock bag, so I usually put them in there, along with my contact lens solutions and a spare pair of contact lenses. I don't worry about the labels, however,because I am a physician (and I always travel with my license in my purse). I never have been asked to show my license, however. I usually get a sample size for him from my office, though, not that it's necessary, because the full size MDI is probably less than 3 oz.
delilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
bluedevilinaz
DIS Veteran

I have flown 3 times this year so far, just flew on Monday night actually, with multiple prescription pill bottles and 3 inhalers(without labels) in my carry on with no issues. The only difference is I got the enhanced pat down because I refused the giant radiation machine and opted for the metal detector. haha. As for the KY, I am going to echo what everyone else has said and get a couple smaller than 3oz tubes just to err on the side of caution. Other than that, just put it all in a ziploc baggie and leave it in your carryon. If they have an issue with it they'll be able to just pull the bag out and have everything in one spot instead of having to dig around for it.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
Bitsmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
Why not just go to the source, TSA.gov and read the rules? You are not required to have a note for medications.

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/special_needs_memo.pdf

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds
Thanks, however, I have probably read that about a thousand times. The inital document was written in 2006 and at least one or two statements in it are no longer accurate. Regarding the second document OVER half of its contents could be taken in one context or the other. For example, WHEN I CALLED TSA for EXACT INFORMATION regarding my 2 year old son's prescription Gtube formula, I was READ the context regarding INFANT formula. Which I had already read myself. Which, in fact does not appy in his circumstance. Regardless of what the "rules" are, I find that actual personal experience can much better prepare me for what to expect, since in all reality, we are at the mercy of the TSA agent that checks our belongings. And the interpretation of the rules and which set of rules they are choosing to follow that day. Sure, I can speak to supervisors, call and complain until I am blue in the face, quote their own rules to them, have the rules printed out, blah, blah, blah, but the plain fact of the matter is that our experience getting on our flight will set the tone for the entire trip. I would like to be as prepared as possible. Thanks for the links though!

Last edited by Bitsmommy; 09-23-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Bitsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I only have one inhaler and I put it in the ziploc bag with my travel size toiletries. I've never had an issue.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

I suggest putting the KY in a ziploc bag with the tubing and other supplies - including the inhalers. Have all medical supplies/needs (including the "liquid nutrition") in a separate carry-on if possible, or at least a separate bag that you can easily separate from your standard carry-on. Remove it and verbally declare "this is my son's medical bag" before they scan anything. If you leave the items with your standard carry-on, it can be a trigger for additional search and questions. When all medical is separate, 1) it will not count towards your carry-on allowance adn 2) it *should* be respected better than if it's mixed in with your shampoo, toothpaste, etc.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #14
Bitsmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
I suggest putting the KY in a ziploc bag with the tubing and other supplies - including the inhalers. Have all medical supplies/needs (including the "liquid nutrition") in a separate carry-on if possible, or at least a separate bag that you can easily separate from your standard carry-on. Remove it and verbally declare "this is my son's medical bag" before they scan anything. If you leave the items with your standard carry-on, it can be a trigger for additional search and questions. When all medical is separate, 1) it will not count towards your carry-on allowance adn 2) it *should* be respected better than if it's mixed in with your shampoo, toothpaste, etc.

Enjoy your vacation!
Thanks!! This is exactly what I am doing!! Good to know that this works!! There is NOTHING it HIS carry on bag that isn't medical and it takes up the entire bag. My intention is to send my sons and my husband through with everything else and then, I will deal with the screening of the bag. I know it will take a while and we plan on getting there a full 2 hours early for them to go through everything. I do have things separated into other bags inside the suitcase. Like the pulse ox and its stuff and the formula. Just so it isn't all rolling around in the bag unorganized. I hope that isn't an issue. If I say it is a medical bag, will they know what to do with it?? I assume so... but assumptions will get me in trouble.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
kristinfly2
Mouseketeer

Hi! I am a flight attendant and I travel with my 3 and 5 year olds once a month on my own time. The trick to getting thru security fast is to keep the items that are special ie medical supplies and formula in a separate bag! You "declare" them before they go thru the X-ray machine. This just means you tell the TSA person standing near by or the actual screener that you have a bag of medical supplies coming through so they are not surprised when it shows up on the screen! . They will hold the bag to the side after it has gone through then after you get the rest of your belongings and shoes on they will take you over to a special table to inspect it. They are usually really nice about it and it doesn't really take long. Keep in mind that some airport TSA are a lot nicer and more educated than others! I hope this helps! .
kristinfly2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: