Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
DizDaddy
DIS Veteran

Entertaining a Move to Florida (Rates?)

Yes, we also are big Disney nuts.....tattoos and many many many many pics to prove it.

So, we have been entertaining a move to bring even MORE Disney into our lives.

And with that....I hear all of the time how last minute rates or Florida resident rates are awesome, but I want more information!!!! I want to know that we will be able to cruise with DCL once or twice a year based on rates. So, please spill!!! Give me some examples of the rates you got as a Florida resident, so I can leverage the decision with my wife and I and we make the leap!!!

Disney Magic - 2/27/2010 - Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Epic - 9/4/2010 - Western Caribbean
Disney Fantasy - 5/19/2012 Eastern Caribbean
Disney Fantasy - 5/24/2014 Western Caribbean
DizDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaddy View Post
Yes, we also are big Disney nuts.....tattoos and many many many many pics to prove it.

So, we have been entertaining a move to bring even MORE Disney into our lives.

And with that....I hear all of the time how last minute rates or Florida resident rates are awesome, but I want more information!!!! I want to know that we will be able to cruise with DCL once or twice a year based on rates. So, please spill!!! Give me some examples of the rates you got as a Florida resident, so I can leverage the decision with my wife and I and we make the leap!!!
If you go on the DCL website and look under special offers it will list the current FL resident rates.
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sp...sidents-rates/

Only a few listed now. As long as you are ok with last minute specials and not planing ahead they look like great deals!
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

You would also qualify for park passes at a discount, etc.

Current cruise rates available--2 people in a cat 4 for $786 including all taxes and government fees.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaddy
I hear all of the time how last minute rates or Florida resident rates are awesome, but I want more information!!!! I want to know that we will be able to cruise with DCL once or twice a year based on rates. So, please spill!!! Give me some examples of the rates you got as a Florida resident, so I can leverage the decision with my wife and I and we make the leap!!!
In 2010, we were booked on a 5-night DD (2A, 1C) for $5000. Fl res rates came out, my spectacular DU TA applied the code, and voila - cruise became $2400 and there was a $2600 credit that appeared on my Disney Visa & we kept the same balcony room we had originally picked. No penalty. How is THAT for savings?!?!? This year, we were booked on the Dream in Feb. in an 8A. After paid in full, FLR rates came out, we upgraded to a 5A & got a $400 credit.

I've switched to the FLR rate twice after the penalty period & they do not charge a penalty fee . You don't get the OBB 10% off or OBC but the savings ALWAYS makes up for that.

Also, living in Tampa means being 1 hr to WDW (72 miles exactly), so we head up for a few hours or an entire day all the time, and for cruises, we drive to the port AM of the cruise, not spending money on airfare, hotel, or rental car! We pay for the cruise & parking.

And off topic, my fave Disney deal is the FL resident "Waterparks after 2pm" annual pass. It's $60 for the entire year (365 days from when you buy the pass). By 2pm, they start clearing out & it's amazing!!! $60!!! A one day admission is $52. What a DEAL!!!!!

Let me know if you have any other questions. We moved in April 2007 from Ohio - myself, DH, & DD (who was 5 weeks old at the time). HTH!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
DizDaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
If you go on the DCL website and look under special offers it will list the current FL resident rates.
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sp...sidents-rates/

Only a few listed now. As long as you are ok with last minute specials and not planing ahead they look like great deals!
Thanks for the link.....so looking at the info there now....my first question is: are there FL rates for the 7-days as well?

One other question....is there a difference between FL rates and last-minute rates? If so, are the last-minute rates even better?

So many questions.....

Old 10-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
DizDaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
In 2010, we were booked on a 5-night DD (2A, 1C) for $5000. Fl res rates came out, my spectacular DU TA applied the code, and voila - cruise became $2400 and there was a $2600 credit that appeared on my Disney Visa & we kept the same balcony room we had originally picked. No penalty. How is THAT for savings?!?!? This year, we were booked on the Dream in Feb. in an 8A. After paid in full, FLR rates came out, we upgraded to a 5A & got a $400 credit.

I've switched to the FLR rate twice after the penalty period & they do not charge a penalty fee . You don't get the OBB 10% off or OBC but the savings ALWAYS makes up for that.

Also, living in Tampa means being 1 hr to WDW (72 miles exactly), so we head up for a few hours or an entire day all the time, and for cruises, we drive to the port AM of the cruise, not spending money on airfare, hotel, or rental car! We pay for the cruise & parking.

And off topic, my fave Disney deal is the FL resident "Waterparks after 2pm" annual pass. It's $60 for the entire year (365 days from when you buy the pass). By 2pm, they start clearing out & it's amazing!!! $60!!! A one day admission is $52. What a DEAL!!!!!

Let me know if you have any other questions. We moved in April 2007 from Ohio - myself, DH, & DD (who was 5 weeks old at the time). HTH!

That's what I like to hear!!!! Sounds like you have the best of many worlds! WDW with a short commute, DCL rates, and GOLD status!!!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Angelic Jennifer
Mouseketeer

I live a couple of minutes from WDW. We have annual passes (around $550 each), and we're cruising this month in a cat 4X (GTY) room for $1711 for all 5 of us. I had originally booked us in a 4A, for just over $3800 with the 10%, and $100 OBC. We lost the $100, and the 10%, but I did get $2100 back from DCL.

Having said that, there aren't always deals. Last year, no deals were offered at all for the Dream. I haven't looked much, but I haven't seen any Florida Resident rates pop up for the Fantasy this year. It's possible that it's because they're new ships.
Think beyond Disney when you consider a move out here. Sure, you'll never be at a loss for family activities. However, the job market is tight .. Schools aren't amazing, and you'll need to be picky about where you land to find good school districts. Make sure you're quite secure before making a leap to this area.

Last edited by mmouse37; 10-01-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: deleted reference to CM discounts
Angelic Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Jennifer
Having said that, there aren't always deals. Last year, no deals were offered at all for the Dream. I haven't looked much, but I haven't seen any Florida Resident rates pop up for the Fantasy this year. It's possible that it's because they're new ships.

Think beyond Disney when you consider a move out here. Sure, you'll never be at a loss for family activities. However, the job market is tight .. Schools aren't amazing, and you'll need to be picky about where you land to find good school districts. Make sure you're quite secure before making a leap to this area.
Very true about not always getting discounts. For our cruise in June, it was expensive even with the 10% off and OBC. True about the job market depending on your field. Tampa is growing in IT & healthcare. And do check out the schools - in my specific area, schools ARE AMAZING!!! My DD goes to an elementary school ranked in the top 10% in ALL of Florida. They rate the schools with grades & we are surrounded by "A" schools. I did a lot of research before moving to FL, as our area is not the majority.

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder

Last edited by mmouse37; 10-01-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: deleted reference to cm discounts
Old 10-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Please remember not to discuss CM discounts on the public board....thank you!!! The references to them have been deleted.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaddy

Thanks for the link.....so looking at the info there now....my first question is: are there FL rates for the 7-days as well?

One other question....is there a difference between FL rates and last-minute rates? If so, are the last-minute rates even better?

So many questions.....
They have had FLR rates for 7-night cruises. Last year we sailed Oct 1st on the Magic on a 7-night Western, and they released FLR rates for some of the 7-night cruises AFTER ours

The FL resident rates are *usually* better than the last minute IGT/OGT/VGT rates.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37
Please remember not to discuss CM rates on the public board....thank you!!!

MJ
Sorry MJ - just know they are released, don't know how much they are.....

Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
Angelic Jennifer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Please remember not to discuss CM discounts on the public board....thank you!!! The references to them have been deleted.

MJ
I didn't discuss dicscounts. I haven't been a CM for more than a year. Please do not edit my posts without contacting me first for accuracy.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
doombuqqy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaddy View Post

So many questions.....
There are usually discounts on the 7 night also but the Fantasy is new and probably won't see discount cruises there until next year.That's how it was with the Dream also. We sailed out on the Dream last month and decided to watch the Fantasy leave the day before and she was a ghost town, hardly anyone on deck for the sailaway I was shocked. You will usually get atleast a months notice on which sailings are included.

doombuqqy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: