Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Om nom nom, a short deluxe report Updated 1-5! yeah it's been awhile..

Ok so here I am, finally starting my dining report. I think I had some residual food coma symptoms.

The nutshell version (if you want the un-shelled version you'll have to read my full report "How do I Flush this? Squared!") after much hemming and hawing I decided that upgrading from Free Quick service dining just wasn't enough, and deluxe was what was truly calling my name.

Reservations were made, changed, and changed again. A few basics stayed and some new adventures were planned. It actually ended up being 4 places that were brand new to me over the course of my stay (9/10-9/13)

My plan looked a little, ok well a lot like this!

9-10 Lunch at Paradiso 37, Dinner at 50's Prime Time
9-11 Breakfast at Captain's Grille, Lunch at Casey's Corner, and Dinner at Narcoosee's
9-12 Breakfast at Grand Floridian Cafe, Lunch at Beaches and Cream and Dinner at Coral Reef
9-13 Breakfast at Whispering Canyon Cafe and Lunch at the airport

So who's ready?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century

Last edited by LockShockBarrel; 01-04-2013 at 11:14 PM.
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
stitchaholic
DIS Veteran

I am soooo ready
WLV-jan 2nd,2010 , AKL july 2011 , ASMo2012 , AKV 2012 , july 2013 Universal/SW/DC
stitchaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

Can't wait!

I've eaten at 98 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (40%)
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
jabead
DIS Veteran

Yay...you've started a DR!

I'm here and ready! Off now to add the link to my list.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
LockShockBarrel

Yay, officially more people than my actual trip report! At least I know people other than me have their priorities in the right order (hence why I had deluxe dining and a value hotel ) I'll be around later to get started!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
Old 10-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

How can I resist reading about the food exploits of the author of one of the best one-liners ever posted over on the resort board?
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

I'm in!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

I'm here too! Love the restaurant reviews!

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
sue and co
Mouseketeer

I'm in.
sue and co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
LockShockBarrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoutandabout View Post
How can I resist reading about the food exploits of the author of one of the best one-liners ever posted over on the resort board?

Crushed dreams?!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
Crushed dreams?!
That would be the one!
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #13
LockShockBarrel

Paradiso 37, where vanilla is a seasonal flavor

Well I suck at this, life kind of went POOF on me and I haven't had a chance to get to the reviews! I just started a second job and it's been throwing me way off my internal clock. But priorities are reigning now so *Peter Pan voice* here we go!!!

I've been trying to come up with a rating system and I think I've got it now.
-Awful, will never bother again
-Really bad
-Bad but edible
-Not great but would eat it/go if it were the only option
-Not bad, but not good. Second string or plan b.
-Good, not the best but good.
-Awesome, would get/would go again.
-Holy crap the angels from cloud 9 are dancing on my tongue.
I'll rate components to a point, dishes, and overall meal because you know, it's an excuse to make this longer.

In the midst of planning, the original idea was to grab something quick at Pop then go to DTD. I happened to be reading through reviews on here and saw one for Paradiso 37. When it first came out I believe I deemed it too spicy or ethnic and basically wrote it off then and there. If I remember correctly it also wasn't on the dining plan and since I've bowed to that alter for the past several trips it was a moot point. Well reading through this review and looking at pictures I thought "Hey, that looks good...so does that..!" And I scampered off to look at the menu. I found some stuff I liked and thought "oh well it's probably not on the plan!....Oh wait, it is but there's no way at like 2 weeks out there's going to be reservations available or they'll be at funny times. There's a 12:55pm? Well I'll take it!"

Since I had miscalculated quite how long all the transportation would take, I ended up being about 10 minutes late for my ADR time but it was a complete non issue. There were maybe 5 other tables occupied at the time. I was seated immediately and took a couple pictures.

Behind me

In front of me

My server was Kim and she was pretty friendly. I ordered a coke to drink and you don't really need a picture of that. It tasted really watered down though. I figured it was just the ice but later in the meal I heard someone tell their server his tasted watery too so it wasn't just me. I didn't stick around long enough to see if they did anything though.

For my appetizer I had really been looking forward to the corndog nuggets (I'm a sucker for a good corn dog) so that's what I got. I was impressed with the serving size, and I get the impression people usually share this app.

The sauce was some kind of honey dijon thing, but I didn't taste it.

I have to say I was pretty disappointed with these. The batter was very thin and it fell off the hotdogs whenever I tried to bite into one or if I cut into it. The hotdog part itself, the skins were very thick compared to what I'm used to. They came out rocket hot. I tried the batter by itself and it was ok, the hotdog part was really bland. I found them as a dish to be between and .

I was a bit disappointed that the filet was only on the 3 course thing. I wasn't into the appetizer offered with it but I could have just not gotten it so this was more my fault. Instead I got a burger. Boring, I know. It came with P37 fries and when I asked what a P37 fry was Kim said "They're pretty much a McDonalds fry". I wasn't really expecting that answer, I kind of figured she just meant skinny and plain.

Well she was right, they were like slightly crispier less salted McDonalds fries. I'd rather have them from McDonalds though, they were just ok. A solid The burger was also just ok. The bun was fresh and soft, but the meat itself was not really seasoned. I didn't expect spicy or even spiced, but a bit of salt and pepper would have made a world of difference. Again, a solid .

For dessert I had read something about seasonal empanadas but sadly these weren't on the menu but a season creme brulee was. I was torn between this and the Chocolate stack cake. That thing looked awesome but just too heavy. I was pretty full at this point and just couldn't bring myself to order the cake. I asked Kim what the seasonal creme brulee was and apparently mid September is the season for vanilla I figured I'd try it anyway, I do like vanilla.

The brulee part was wafer thin and what I thought were sugar bubbles on it was actually condensation. It had come right out of a cooler. The creme part was creamy in texture but not in taste. That sounds odd, I know, but imagine real whipped cream made with real cream. Now imagine someone trying to whip skim milk into whipped cream. This creme brulee was the skim milk version. I guess you could say it was creamy but not rich. I took maybe 3 bites of this and decided it wasn't worth the effort or calories. I rate it

I was finishing up when Kim brought the bill over, and shot herself in the foot with me by making sure I knew that tips weren't included in my dining plan. Honestly, I get that some people probably stiff them but I think its so tacky to remind people of this. To me, Paradiso 37 seems like a fun place to go after work, or just a place for apps and drinks and while the menu is family friendly there's definitely better places out there. I didn't hate it but I certainly wasn't impressed nor would I bother making an ADR here again. Certainly an option if other places are full but I wouldn't suggest it as a "You should definitely go here!" So all in all, I'll give Paradiso 37 a and a quarter

Costwise, the drink was $2.99, the app $9.99, entree $15.99,dessert $7.99. Tax came to $2.41 so the grand total was $39.37, or 1 credit.

Last edited by LockShockBarrel; 10-06-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #14
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Sorry you didn't have a better experience at Paradiso. We like it. But more for apps. we liked the corn dog nuggets and asked for regular yellow mustard. I really like the chicken sandwich. It comes with some stuff I don't like so I just get chicken bacon lett tom and mayo. Really good. I like the mickey d's fries once they came out cold tho but were replaced with hot ones right away. I also hate being reminded about the tip. But it is probably worse for the server to have to do the reminding.
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #15
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Oh I forgot. I have almost froze to death inn Paradiso every time. Not only are the beers the "coldest" so is the place itself!!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: