Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
Groucho
Why a duck?
You need every advantage you can get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdad View Post
It worked out fine except my just-turned-11 daughter absolutely FREAKED OUT in the first haunted house we went through- some kind of winter cemetery theme- and would not go in anymore houses. In fact we had to wander all over the place just trying to find a way out and avoid the roving bands of chainsaw wielding monsters and such. Funny because she will fearlessly ride absolutely any roller coaster or thrill ride out there with reckless abandon but people in monster masks that jump out and make zombie sounds really scared her.
I can see that - I imagine my 3-year-old will be the same way; she loves getting tossed around and being carried upside-down (and she loves zombies already, no doubt being helped by her big brother!) but I'm sure she'd turn into a blubbering mess in an environment like that!

Quote:
As for photography I did not get much of an opportunity to shoot. I went light with no tripod or camera bag- just the D700 & 20mm f/1.8. I think there were signs forbidding shooting in all the houses and I don't remember seeing anyone else with a tripod. There is enough light in many places to shoot handheld- also great opportunities at dusk/ early evening. I was thinking about going back without the kids this year just because I was kind of disappointed I couldn't do much last time- if you are going solo on a thurs/fri/sat night and want to hang out then hit me up on facebook or with an email.
That would be fun - I have a 3-day ticket so will be at Universal a few days, the last one being a Thursday. I'll also be by myself so I'm sure that by Thursday, I'll be happy to have someone to talk to. I've got to squeeze in time to visit the Epcot F&W too; I'll be staying at AKL so I'll be nearby. I suspect that Universal won't have enough to keep me occupied for all three days so maybe I'll do that Thursday daytime... I'll send you a note and we can figure out the details.
trip reports: 1/11, Animal Kingdom Villas live TR, full TR (up to day 4); 6/10, Star Wars Weekend, Pop Century; 1/10, Beach Club Villas full TR, live TR; 1/09, Old Key West; 4/08, Beach Club Villas; 9/07, Disneyland Hotel; 1/07, Saratoga Springs Resort

groucho.org gallery (main site) - Flickr - Google+ Pentax Photo Gallery - Pentax Auto 110, H3, 2x Spotmatic, 3x K1000, red K-x, K-5, K-3, Q, WG3
Pentax 10-17mm fisheye, 16-50mm F2.8, 18-55mm, 31mm F1.8, 50mm F1.2/F1.4/F1.7/F2.0, 50-135mm F2.8, 50-200mm, 55-300, Zenitar 16mm fisheye, Lensbaby Composer, Tamron 70-200 F2.8, Lester A Dine 105mm F2.8 1:1 macro, F Nikkor 105mm F2.5, M42: Vivitar 55mm F2.8 1:1 macro, Pentax 35mm F3.5, 55mm F1.8, 105mm F2.8, 2x 135mm F3.5, 300mm F4, 2x Vivitar 200mm F3.5, Carl Zeiss 135mm F3.5
Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #17
Hockeyman
It's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Have you guys ever shot with your tripods at HHN? Trying to make it up there for at least one night at HHN and have been debating on bringing it with me or not. Afraid I may spend more time getting pictures than I would experiencing the event itself lol
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #18
Groucho
Why a duck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman View Post
Have you guys ever shot with your tripods at HHN? Trying to make it up there for at least one night at HHN and have been debating on bringing it with me or not. Afraid I may spend more time getting pictures than I would experiencing the event itself lol
I'll be able to tell you in four weeks. If conditions warrant, I may bring in my full-size tripod (which I can strap to my camera bag) but I doubt that I will be doing that.

Heck, I'm not sure how well it'd work anywhere in Universal Studios - I understand there are free lockers by some of the rides where they won't let you carry bags on, but are they big enough to fit a good-sized camera bag and tripod?
trip reports: 1/11, Animal Kingdom Villas live TR, full TR (up to day 4); 6/10, Star Wars Weekend, Pop Century; 1/10, Beach Club Villas full TR, live TR; 1/09, Old Key West; 4/08, Beach Club Villas; 9/07, Disneyland Hotel; 1/07, Saratoga Springs Resort

groucho.org gallery (main site) - Flickr - Google+ Pentax Photo Gallery - Pentax Auto 110, H3, 2x Spotmatic, 3x K1000, red K-x, K-5, K-3, Q, WG3
Pentax 10-17mm fisheye, 16-50mm F2.8, 18-55mm, 31mm F1.8, 50mm F1.2/F1.4/F1.7/F2.0, 50-135mm F2.8, 50-200mm, 55-300, Zenitar 16mm fisheye, Lensbaby Composer, Tamron 70-200 F2.8, Lester A Dine 105mm F2.8 1:1 macro, F Nikkor 105mm F2.5, M42: Vivitar 55mm F2.8 1:1 macro, Pentax 35mm F3.5, 55mm F1.8, 105mm F2.8, 2x 135mm F3.5, 300mm F4, 2x Vivitar 200mm F3.5, Carl Zeiss 135mm F3.5
Old 09-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
Hockeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I'll be able to tell you in four weeks. If conditions warrant, I may bring in my full-size tripod (which I can strap to my camera bag) but I doubt that I will be doing that.

Heck, I'm not sure how well it'd work anywhere in Universal Studios - I understand there are free lockers by some of the rides where they won't let you carry bags on, but are they big enough to fit a good-sized camera bag and tripod?
I might be going either the weekend of the 6th or the following weekend if things go according to plan lol.

Universal is very very strict with bringing anything on the rides. They wont even allow you to enter the line with any sort of bag on the big rides. As for the lockers, im not sure since every time I have gone in the past I have avoided bringing in any bags to avoid the lockers at all costs or we have had the kids stroller to store stuff. I think you might be ok with a medium size bag but the the tripod may not fit. I have a Sony that folds down to about 24" tall and im pretty sure I could squeeze it in the locker lol. To tell you the truth though, while at HHN you want to do as much of the houses and shows that you can. The rides are there all year but the HHN stuff isnt. We generally dont do much riding during the event because we try to hit all the houses and shows.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #20
Groucho
Why a duck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman View Post
I might be going either the weekend of the 6th or the following weekend if things go according to plan lol.

Universal is very very strict with bringing anything on the rides. They wont even allow you to enter the line with any sort of bag on the big rides. As for the lockers, im not sure since every time I have gone in the past I have avoided bringing in any bags to avoid the lockers at all costs or we have had the kids stroller to store stuff. I think you might be ok with a medium size bag but the the tripod may not fit. I have a Sony that folds down to about 24" tall and im pretty sure I could squeeze it in the locker lol. To tell you the truth though, while at HHN you want to do as much of the houses and shows that you can. The rides are there all year but the HHN stuff isnt. We generally dont do much riding during the event because we try to hit all the houses and shows.
Good info, thanks. For me, HHN is a little bit of an afterthought; it just happened to overlap with my trip - I'm a big horror fan but not so much into haunted houses. As for the rides, I'm thinking more of what to do during the day, since I'll have my camera bag with me pretty much all the time. As it turns out, the tripod may not really be much of an issue - checking the hours, it looks like everything (except HHN) shuts down pretty early, so it'll probably not even be particularly dark by the time the parks close. Oh well!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #21
Hockeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Good info, thanks. For me, HHN is a little bit of an afterthought; it just happened to overlap with my trip - I'm a big horror fan but not so much into haunted houses. As for the rides, I'm thinking more of what to do during the day, since I'll have my camera bag with me pretty much all the time. As it turns out, the tripod may not really be much of an issue - checking the hours, it looks like everything (except HHN) shuts down pretty early, so it'll probably not even be particularly dark by the time the parks close. Oh well!
Yeah that's the only problem with going during the day and not going to HHN, the park closes at 5 so they can clear it and get it ready for HHN to let loose at 7 (6:30 ish if you stay in the park from the day) Im not a horror fan at all but absolutely love HHN. I love the atmosphere and how different the park is from a normal day.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #22
Hockeyman

Here are some shots I got this past weekend at HHN

DSC07987-Edit by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Halloween Horror Nights by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Horde by Mike Sperduto, on FlickrMG]

Ghostly horde by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

HHN by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Horde by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

HHN by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

20 Penny Circus by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr
Old 10-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #23
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Great shots Mike! HHN looks pretty spooky. I'm used to MNSSHP. LOL!
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #24
Hockeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS3 View Post
Great shots Mike! HHN looks pretty spooky. I'm used to MNSSHP. LOL!
Thanks Harry, and yeah it is about as opposite of MNSSHP as an event can get

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: