Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World > Camping Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
cddskj
Earning My Ears

Advice or Tips for winter tent campers needed

My little family of 3 will be tent camping at Fort Wilderness for 2 weeks this December. We do camp quite a bit and have the needed gear but have not done any winter camping or for more than a week..much less after a long day at Disney! Just wondered if any of you had any advice or tips. What worked for any of you while camping at Disney. We will be driving in from SC, plan to bring our bikes to get around, and hope to eat as much food as possible from the campsite or out of a cooler. We would love to hear any yummy food ideas for the campsite or to pack and take into the park, ideas about the average weather during December at disney, Fort Wilderness tips or suggestions, anything that you wish you might have thought of while there, or anything you would like to share...ExCiTeD to hear back from any of you.
cddskj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

Be sure you have a heater. While it will be warm during the day it can be in the 30's at night
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #3
mouseketeer_mom
DIS Veteran

I would recommend planning a lot of crock pot meals. Nothing like a truly hot meal to warm you from the inside out!

We live in MD and have never camped in the cooler months without our camper or being able to have a campfire so I'm at a loss for other ideas.

My Brother does "winter camp" once in a while and always takes two electric blankets, one to sleep on and one to sleep under.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

Not camped at Disney, but have winter camped elsewhere.
So:

Air mattress is good, but the air in it gets COLD! I use a quilted mattress pad over the top of mine, and then a comforter over that (clipped with corner sheet clips so it stays put). Cots are good too, but I never sleep well in them.

Extra blankets for under you, one to tuck around the top of you. Warm sleeping bags.

Long johns to sleep in, under the pjs. They don't have to be heavy, just layer the clothes. And a warm hat. Warm socks (or two)

We like to get those hand/feet/body warmers and break a couple about half an hour before bed and toss them in the sleeping bags. Then I kick them down to the bottom when I get in, and my feet stay warm.

Warm food ideas: if you have access to a crockpot and electricity (and there is a safe place to do this--don't do it in your tent), make steel cut oatmeal in the crock overnight for breakfast. I usually do easy meals--hot dogs, sloppy joes, beans, chips. Sometimes I get creative and do foil packets in a fire. Think easy for meals. Other easy crockpot meals: beef stew, bbq pork, cinnamon apples and pork, chili.

When we family camp, I take 3 coolers. A heavy duty one for meats (I freeze them, arrange them in thawing order, throw in a bag of ice and I'm good; just add ice as needed. One cooler for drinks---this one gets opened a lot so the ice melts faster. Another cooler for other items--produce, ketchup, mustard, etc. As you have a car, you can go get more food a few days in if needed.

Be careful if you are trying to use a heater. You don't want a space heater in the tent with you----if it falls over, you might be testing how nonflammable your tent really is. And don't use anything with propane or other gas in the tent--they do produce fumes.

I prefer the nonpropane lanterns. I have two that I can charge plugging into the car or an electrical socket. They last quite a bit (using only when dark) and both have a nightlight feature on them. One I bought almost 15 years ago, and it is still going on the original bulb!
Jedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
cddskj
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for this useful info! Will be an adventure for sure!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Tented1
Mouseketeer

Yeah! Another December Camper!

QUOTE=djblu883;46119275]be sure you have something under all air mattresses as cold air seeps through from the ground and although you are toasty warm in the covers you will find you are freezing from underneath!!! I've learned when I was still tent camping that putting a really good 20 degree sleeping bag under me made all the difference in the world as well as a tarp under the air mattresses!!!! Even in summer the ground can chill ya but it is a welcome cooling!!! I'll be leaving just as you get there! trying the cabins this time instead of bringing my camper. Gas has gotten to be so expensive its cheaper to just fly! and I've always wanted to try the cabins! Have a magical and warm vacation!!![/QUOTE]

This is some advice I received in my thread "Tent Prep for Christmas". My family of 3 will be at FW 12/19 - 26th.

I have purchased a heated mattress pad for DD's airmattress and plan on getting an electric blanket for hubby and which I'm thinking I'll put between us and the mattress. I also picked up a little oscillating elec. heater at our local flea market. (Just in case.)

There are some great recipes all over the board. I've been cutting and pasting.

I'm bringing my two burner coleman stove, crockpot (crockpot liners are another great tip I found on here) and maybe the George Foreman grill.

Here is the camping recipe thread recipe: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1064017

Happy Camping!

(Yes, I AM supposed to be working! )

WDW 1969 WDL 1985 CBR 2007
Tented1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
cddskj
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much! We will JUST miss each other! We plan to be there from 12/2-12/15!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: