DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
squirk
Saw what you did and knows who you are.

What's the *real* number for BLT?

The sticky says it is (407) 824-1000, but can anyone confirm that that connects you to the actual hotel vs. a call center (which could be anywhere)?

I need to confirm a room request, and my understanding is that you need to call the hotel directly, not the call center, to improve your chances of the request being honored.

Thanks,

Squirk
Old 09-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

We have been told repeatedly that room requests should be added to the reservation. The resort phones are answered by a call center because Disney doesn't want you to call the resort.

In the past we used to fax our requests to the resort until I was told by a room assigner that we became friends with that they get so many requests they would toss them in the trash and not even read them.

They way that she put it is that everyone wants that special room but there are just so many to go around and to give the room to someone means that someone else gets bumped from the room.

She also told us that they were going to a online check in system in an effort to reduce last minute requests.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
squirk

Thanks for the info. I did add to the reservation, but everything I've read said that you should probably follow up with the hotel directly to increase your chances.

If I can't get the room, it's not a huge deal. However, unless someone else has already asked for that specific room number (or someone with an overlapping vacation is already in that room), I hope it's not a huge hassle to assign it to me.

I guess I will try the fax. If I'm lucky, I'll get a CM who's willing to go the extra mile. If not, all I lose is a piece of paper and the time it takes to write and fax the request.

Thanks again!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirk
Thanks for the info. I did add to the reservation, but everything I've read said that you should probably follow up with the hotel directly to increase your chances.

If I can't get the room, it's not a huge deal. However, unless someone else has already asked for that specific room number (or someone with an overlapping vacation is already in that room), I hope it's not a huge hassle to assign it to me.

I guess I will try the fax. If I'm lucky, I'll get a CM who's willing to go the extra mile. If not, all I lose is a piece of paper and the time it takes to write and fax the request.

Thanks again!
Faxes have not been accepted for room requests for years. Wherever you have been reading is mistaken or put of date. Make note on your reservation with MS and mention it at checkin. Unless you know a particular persons direct line at a resort, you are going to get the call center.

Also, asking for a particular room number is much less likely to be successful, especially with a DVC resort, than asking for the room features you want (close to elevator, close to lobby, 3rd floor, etc.).
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirk View Post
The sticky says it is (407) 824-1000, but can anyone confirm that that connects you to the actual hotel vs. a call center (which could be anywhere)?

I need to confirm a room request, and my understanding is that you need to call the hotel directly, not the call center, to improve your chances of the request being honored.

Thanks,

Squirk
Are you the DVC member who made the reservation? Just add it to your reservation - either e-mail MS or call them and hope it works. Requests are just that.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
If I'm lucky, I'll get a CM who's willing to go the extra mile. If not, all I lose is a piece of paper and the time it takes to write and fax the request.
Actually, if you manage to annoy a CM who handles room assignments, the downside could be worse.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

And DVC has told members not to fax. Again, are you the member?

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
squirk

Yes, I am the member and, as stated above, I did put in the request with MS.

The info I received on faxes came from AllEars: http://allears.net/acc/cro1.htm. Also, while I won't swear to it, I believe the UG has similar information.

And if a CM is spiteful enough to punish me for a polite, if misguided, fax request, I can't worry about that. If I worried that being an inconvenience to a CM would result in reprisals, I might as well sell my contract.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
mousefan1972
DIS Veteran

Allears is a great site, but as PPs have stated, the info regarding faxing and/or trying to call a resort directly to reiterate a room request is outdated. If you choose to send a fax, it will either 1. end up in the trash or 2. annoy the room assigner which could ensure you do NOT receive your request.

I would personally note it on your reservation, and leave it at that. You can also politely ask when you check in if your request was honored. If it wasn't, perhaps the CM checking you in can see if there is a room becoming available on your check in day that does meet your requests. Offering to wait until later in the day will improve your chances, too.
mousefan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

If your request is on your reservation, there's really nothing else you need to do. There isn't any need to confirm requests.

The faxing thing on UG and AllEarsNet is way outdated information. As others have said, resorts started trashing faxes a few years ago, and the DVC resorts have been especially adamant about not accepting faxes. The resorts were receiving massive numbers of faxes per day, and dealing with these unnecessary faxes was tying up staff members who could have been assisting guests.

The suggestion you've read about calling resorts directly to confirm requests is also outdated. A few years ago, Disney started routing all calls to resorts to a call center. Even calls to the front desk from inside the resort now go through the call center. There are no longer direct numbers to resorts that are available to the public.

If it's really important to you to make sure the request is still there, the most effective way to do it is to call MS and ask them to read back what's on the reservation. Faxing won't accomplish anything; the room assigner will almost certainly never see it. Calling the 'resort number' is more or less the same as calling MS. Someone in a call center will look up your reservation and read the request field to you.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Yes, I am the member and, as stated above, I did put in the request with MS.

The info I received on faxes came from AllEars: http://allears.net/acc/cro1.htm. Also, while I won't swear to it, I believe the UG has similar information.

And if a CM is spiteful enough to punish me for a polite, if misguided, fax request, I can't worry about that. If I worried that being an inconvenience to a CM would result in reprisals, I might as well sell my contract.
I doubt that will happen.

Just keep in mind a request is not guaranteed, no matter how you communicate it. Many times the room you want is already occupied. I just got back from VGC. We had requested World of Color view, hoping we would luck out with a great view like we did last year. We got a view of trees (3516). The front desk cm even checked in the back and said all the view rooms were occupied by people who checked in on previous days.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
squirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB

I doubt that will happen.

Just keep in mind a request is not guaranteed, no matter how you communicate it. Many times the room you want is already occupied. I just got back from VGC. We had requested World of Color view, hoping we would luck out with a great view like we did last year. We got a view of trees (3516). The front desk cm even checked in the back and said all the view rooms were occupied by people who checked in on previous days.
I doubt it, too. Of course, the idea of the spiteful CM deliberately not honoring my request is nullified by the suggestion that no one will even look at my fax in the first place.

I understand that my request is just that - a request. No guarantees. And, yes, I'm fully prepared for the possibility that the room(s) I requested will be taken by an overlapping reservation. Since it's early October and we check in on a Wednesday, I was hoping the odds wouldn't be quite so stacked against us.

Thanks for all the helpful info.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #13
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Since it's early October and we check in on a Wednesday, I was hoping the odds wouldn't be quite so stacked against us.

Thanks for all the helpful info.
BLT has been booked solid for early October for months. So there likely won't be extra villas for the assigners to choose from.

Hope you get what you want!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #14
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

I don't know what kind of room you are checking into but I have found that there are very few rooms available any time we check in. We have always used a studio and normally there are only 1-2 studios in the standard or TPV. It depends on the room type and the category but my requests have rarely been available simply because all the rooms that meet the request have been occupied when we check in.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:17 AM   #15
squirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlovew
I don't know what kind of room you are checking into but I have found that there are very few rooms available any time we check in. We have always used a studio and normally there are only 1-2 studios in the standard or TPV. It depends on the room type and the category but my requests have rarely been available simply because all the rooms that meet the request have been occupied when we check in.
1-bdrm Lake View. I wait-listed for TPV but didn't get it. I requested an even-numbered room in the North Tower, preferably ending in "10", in hopes of getting one of those lake view rooms that have an oblique TPV.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: