DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Bertie131
DIS Veteran

If you had to do your resale DVC purchase again, what, if anything, would you change.

I have finally made the decision to go resale and I have been doing all the research and reading,but of course I still feel like it isn't enough. I would love to hear your experiences and if you would do differently.
Bertie131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
sechelt
Mouseketeer

I know many have said it before but I want to add to them. Buy the resort where you'd want to stay the most often. We held out for VGC and have never regretted have that 11 month booking advantage. East coast is a bit different but I still think it applies. If you want to be near Epcot, buy BWV or BCV, near MK buy BLT, etc.

Good luck with your search.
sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

Would have broken our 210 points into 2-105 point contracts. Easier to sell if needed and I could have left it to a neice and/or nephew (we do not have children).
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15, Fall 2016
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
twoj
Mouseketeer

I agree with the the earlier comments as well; however, the one thing I would have changed would be to make more aggressive offers on contracts. There are great deals to be found out there. I felt like I offered more in fear of being rofr'd. Now when I look at the numbers being ROFR'd it doesn't seem always price driven. I should have been more patient and waited for a great deal.. And not paid any attention to asking price...

Keep in mind that timeshares in general are not good investments and most people who want to get rid of them are just as anxious as us buyers are to have them .
twoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
htmlkid
Gold DCL Member / SSR DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertie131 View Post
I have finally made the decision to go resale and I have been doing all the research and reading,but of course I still feel like it isn't enough. I would love to hear your experiences and if you would do differently.
Nothing... I purchased my first 250 point SSR contract in August and currently purchasing another 190 points now!!! I think I'm at the right amount of points to keep us happy.

htmlkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
MsTessP
Mouseketeer

I would not have waited so long to save up the cash (I would never finance) for XXX amount of points. I ended up buying far less points than I thought I would need for the resort I knew we would love just to "get our foot in the door".

Now, not only are we currently enjoying our points, but we've come to realize that the original number of points we thought we needed would have actually been too much for us. Eventually I will be adding just a few more resale points, but we are very comfortable with our point amount right now.

When we add these points, we will have 2 or more contracts which will be much easier to sell if we eventually decide to do so.

I only wish we had jumped into the resale market sooner.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
Disneypapa
OKW owner since 2002

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddyLu View Post
Would have broken our 210 points into 2-105 point contracts. Easier to sell if needed and I could have left it to a neice and/or nephew (we do not have children).
DITTO, I have a 200 point contract. I wish I had two 100 point contracts instead. 1) for ease of possibly selling a contract if finances dictated and 2) transfering ownership, 1 100 point contract per child.
Disneypapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
missycj96
DIS Veteran

I would have bought sooner and bought more points. I bought 3 resale contracts - 2 tts and one fidelity. Both companies were reliable but i thought tts had much better service. I bought ssr for what to me was the best value. I did a small vwl add on.
missycj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:18 AM   #9
zavandor
DIS Veteran

I bought 65 points and I'm already looking for a small addon, so I would have bought 100 points instead. However I'm very happy with my purchase!
zavandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
Bertie131
DIS Veteran

I am just hoping I can find the right resale. I am anxiously waiting!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertie131
I am just hoping I can find the right resale. I am anxiously waiting!
Good luck. If you are patient, eventually you will find one that works for you.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
emilymad
DIS Veteran

I would have bought more points. We started with 100 points at SSR to see how it worked for us. We know we probably won't be a Disney every year family so we didn't want to buy too many. We have since added on another 50 points. We always seem to find ourselves just shy of the number of points we need. We would have paid less if we had just bought 150 points to start with.
emilymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

I would also split up your contract. We lucked out and the 200 pt contract we bid on was actually two - 150 & 50. It will make them easier to sell or downsize if needed when the kids get older. Or - sell the 50 and buy more at another resort! You will find the perfect contract -just be patient. It took us about 2 months to find one in the right UY with banked points at the right price.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #14
Bertie131
DIS Veteran

The waiting is hard--looking for just the right contract. I am sure it will come along and it will be worth it in the end.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #15
princessaloha
Mouseketeer

We found our first contract within the first month of officially looking. After our offer was accepted and Fidelity pulled updated reports, we discovered it was actually two contracts rolled into one. Although we didn't plan it that way, we now realize how great it is to have smaller contracts. We just returned from our first visit "HOME" and are now seriously looking to add on. Originally we wanted enough points for a visit every other year, but now want enough points for once a year. Because of that accidental double contract we will be looking for smaller, around 100pt contracts to add on.

So to the OP's question: what would you change? I would say it would be to actively (and patiently) look for smaller contracts instead of one large contract.
princessaloha is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: