Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
FOXFIELDZOO
Mouseketeer

13 yo dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls View Post
I personally haven't heard of any drug issues. Just hanky panky!

I think we have to remember that these things go on everywhere. And we only hear reports from a very small group here on this forum. And also you only hear about it when there is a story to be told...no-one reports when they had no issues.
Thank you all that makes me feel alittle better ,I am sure the kids do that at the dances at there schools ,or that is what i have been told ,Still does not make me happy but ,No drugs and drink makes me happy and thanks for the heads up ,they will not be able to charge to the room ,Not sure what parents are thinking when giving them free rain they have no idea what they are spending LOL I have a hard time keeping trak.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
jeniamt
DIS Veteran

Wow, thanks for the advise. I was just imaging her wanting to chill out with her cousin and not having to be bugged by her little brother. I didn't think about the Vibe turning into a Dirty Dancing Night Club! Yikes!! Think she will be sticking with The Edge!!

jeniamt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #18
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfaninaz View Post
Personally, I wouldn't want my 8th grade 13 year old in with older high school students.
:thumbsupme neither! I am hoping we sail again before dd13 turns 14 so I can tell her she isn't old enough to move up to the vibe. She had a wonderful time in May in the edge and she turned 13 on that cruise. I'd just send her to the edge and be done with it, OP.
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC, 11/15 YC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
kristinfly2
Mouseketeer

On our cruise on 11/3 we are not letting our DD11 go into the 11 to 14 club (edge?). I am not comfortable with her being in with 14 year olds. She just started 6th grade! She is fine with being in the lab with her younger sisters and brothers. It just seems to me that there is a huge difference between an 11 yo and a 14 yo on so many levels! I am glad to see that other parents have similar concerns to mine!
kristinfly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #20
popisme
Yep I'm a Disney Freak and I am Okay with that........

My family is also going on the 11/3 Magic Cruise. My daughter is 11 but I do not think she is even close to being mature enough to hang with the edge age group ( I am a school bus driver so I hear more than I want to). She will definitely being going to the lab where I think we will both be happier.......

I do have a question though.... Will she still be able to check herself in and out? If she finds a good group to hang out with I would like her to have that option.....

DH ME DD(13) our 2 CRAZY cats Yoda(RIP) and K.C.(RIP) our 7 year old Black Lab Mix Luki our 6 year old "psycho" Weimeraner Lyric
95' off site (Never Again) 98' DxL (Honeymoon) 00' WL 01' AKL October 2004 WVL (took my daughter to Disney for the 1st time) November/December 2006 BWV (took my whole family *8 people* to Disney for the 1st time) December 2007 POP/OKW/ASM Surprise trip for Daughters Gotcha Day (Adoption day) Last minute trip with friends at BLT in October 2009 12 day trip November/December 2011 Treehouse Villa and BLT November 2012 Disney Magic 7 day Cruise February 2015 Disney Fantasy 7 day Cruise and 5 Days at Bay Lake Towers/ Animal Kingdom Lodge
popisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #21
mom4fun
DIS Veteran

Now I am starting to worry. My son will be 12 and in 6th grade at the time of our cruise. He mostly just likes sports, so which club would be best for him, edge or lab?
mom4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #22
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The Edge is for middle school aged kids, which is generally grades 6-8, and in some areas 9th grade as well. For every 11/12 yo whose parents are concerned about them being in the Edge, there is a parent of a 6-9 yo worried about their child being in the lab area with 11/12 yos.

Parents have the option to let their kids sign in/out of the lab starting at the age of 8.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #23
racingfandj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXFIELDZOO View Post
Thank you all that makes me feel alittle better ,I am sure the kids do that at the dances at there schools ,or that is what i have been told ,Still does not make me happy but ,No drugs and drink makes me happy and thanks for the heads up ,they will not be able to charge to the room ,Not sure what parents are thinking when giving them free rain they have no idea what they are spending LOL I have a hard time keeping trak.
My niece had just turned 14 this summer when we went on the Fantasy. She loved the Vibe. Made a small group of friends that all hung together the whole cruise. She is mature for her age (life tends to do that to some) and knows that I watch everything like a hawk. She had charging privileges and only used it if she called/texted and asked first (speciality drink or snack at the movie).

From the stories I heard, it was good, clean, teenager fun.
-- They would make a food run and bring back buffet to feed everyone; smoothie bar open regularly. One night they mixed all the leftovers into a smoothie and someone drank it. It wasn't forced, but probably some encouraging cheering going on.
-- They had an active game the whole week that had some convoluted rules. Everyone had a "mark" and you didn't know who was after you. Something about getting your person out with either a paper spoon or some other way . She was loving it. It generated interaction between the kdis inside and out of the club.
-- Also saw pics of them playing a version of The Dating Game. The CMs relayed the answers and the male "contestant" ended up picking a boy in a snow white dress. "Snow White" happened to be one of her new friends and can confirm he wasn't forced to do it and they all thought it was hilarious.

Everyone's tastes are different and every group of kids will be too. If any of those sound disturbing, I would recommend finding somewhere else for your kids to hang.
Disney Magic - November 2013
Disney Magic - January 2014
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2014

Anxiously Waiting for
Wonder - November 2014
Wonder - May 2015
Dream - November 2015
racingfandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #24
disneymagicgirlsdd
Earning My Ears

I'm 13 and had my bday on the cruise. Can't even explain my love for the Edge. It was the most fun I have ever had in my life -- not exaggerating a bit. The Edge is probably the best place to be, it's not kiddish and it's fun. I had one giant group of friends and we walked around the pool deck, ate french fries, devoured the ice cream, and hung out at Edge. i wouldn't even consider going to the vibe, even though I'll be old enough on our next cruise. Edge was amazing and whoever you send will enjoy it.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #25
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by popisme View Post
My family is also going on the 11/3 Magic Cruise. My daughter is 11 but I do not think she is even close to being mature enough to hang with the edge age group ( I am a school bus driver so I hear more than I want to). She will definitely being going to the lab where I think we will both be happier.......

I do have a question though.... Will she still be able to check herself in and out? If she finds a good group to hang out with I would like her to have that option.....
This is the point of the "overlap" ages--the kid and parents can decide where a kid fits best.

Any child at age 8 or older can have sign out IF the parents approve and sign the permission form.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #26
DJinPA
Earning My Ears

I agree that the "overlap" ages are a great idea.

Most of us who have kids in Middle School realize the range of maturity (or immaturity) throughout Middle School - or even within a grade. Some kids still won't talk to the opposite sex, while others seek out a girlfriend/boyfriend at any event. Some are exposed to different movies, video games, conversations and other less so . . . I think the Edge is just a microcosm of the bigger Middle School age - your child will find other kids they relate to and not really be concerned with those they don't relate to, just the way they probably do in school or any other group situation. If they can't find someone to relate to, they may want to see if they can move to the Lab or Vibe (if applicable and permitted) or just hang out with siblings, parents, etc. on the trip. I know we went on the Magic expecting our kids to be in fascinated with the Lab/Club. They liked it fine and it was a lot of fun when they were doing a certain project or we went to Palo, but hand's down, we were all amazed at how much fun we had all together!
DJinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #27
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls View Post
From the shenanigans the teens tell us about I wouldn't worry if she's not in that club! I'd hate my 13 year-old to be put in that kind of peer pressure environment. I know high school kids do it all but i'm going to hang on as long as possible!
Totally agree!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #28
PrincessMemoriesJeNN
Love WDW

The Edge was a positive experience

We sailed on The Dream last September and my 12 and a half year old son had a wonderful experience. He loved the late night dodgeball games, social get to know you games, the freedom he had with safe boundaries, and the friends that he met. He actually still texts/emails 2 of the kids from time to time. We felt very safe with him in the care of the staff and it was all good clean fun. He is by nature, a nervous kid, and it was wonderful to see him drop his guard and have fun. He actually teared up on the way home because "the whole experience was so good, with friends just like me, friends I really loved meeting who I may never see again." While we spent most of our days as a family, the time our kids had in their clubs made our vacation extra magical.
PrincessMemoriesJeNN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: