Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #31
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

I don't think QSDP or DDP is that great a deal. We're only getting DDP because we have young kids and it IS worth it for the under 9 crowd when they are basically eating lunch and getting a snack a day free. We break even as adults probably. Now DxDDP I definitely got my money's worth.

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #32
L&Lfan
DIS Veteran

I often read that the Dining Plan has caused WDW to "dumb down" the menus at many of the table service restaurants. Could anyone explain to me what this means or give me some examples? Were there more unique or unusual meals/foods served in most of the restaurants before the Dining Plan became ubiquitous? Thanks, guys!
L&Lfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #33
dansyr2514
DIS Veteran

The dining plan is not the cause of war, famine or Disney crumbling into a legendary lost kingdom.

A "dining" type plan has been around for a very long time. We used to purchse the"Gold' plan which included dining and recreation...similar to the Platinum plan. It wasn't being given away "free" so no one had anything to say about it.

Since they use Free Dining as way to draw people in ...now everyone knows about it and uses it at the reason for the decline of Disney. They're not losing money by offering free dining. If you don't get free dining, you usually get a percent off offer. It's just like any business! You go to a clothing store and one week it may be a bogo offer with the first item at full price. The next week ...maybe they'll offer 40% off all items. No one is complaining about that.

I don't think it has anything to do with the dining plan. I think it has to do with the management of Disney. Management decided remove resort specific mdse. ( which has nothing to do with the dining plan) . Management decided to order plain napkins ( again..nothing to do with dining plan). Management decided to have the same specialty type drinks at every bar and restaurant in wdw. It's cost cutting measures by disney management so they can order larger quantities of the same items to receive a bulk discount.

Now..in saying all that. I see a change in the near future. Resort specific mdse is coming back...so I'm hoping it's a step in the right direction!!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #34
Dwheels
Mouseketeer

The dining plan is not a value by any means! Chances are you would save much more money by paying OOP. We went in August for 8 days we kept track of all our food expenses we spent $771 the dining plan would have cost us over $1100 we ate at all the TS we wanted to including flying fish. Dining plan def not worth the price unless it's free!
Dwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #35
GoofyGraham
Earning My Ears

For me the "free" DDP is what makes the holiday affordable, and to a great extent enjoyable. I've read the posts about it not really bring free but for those of us travelling from the UK, the flights are THE most expensive part of the holiday, so not having to budget much for food (last year was tips only) makes the whole thing worthwhile.
We enjoy (most of) the restaurants so much that our 2013 trip is based on them rather than the park rides.
I-Drive Sep 2005
Saratoga Springs Resort Aug 2010
Saratoga Springs Resort 5th-26th Sept 2011
Old Key West April 15th-29th 2013

Saratoga Springs booked, 21st September 2015
GoofyGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #36
SIMJUN
Mouseketeer

Clearly it is working for Disney or they wouldn't keep offering it.

However, it has had a negative effect on the dining experience and that is a shame.

On our last trip, we spoke to several chefs and restaurant managers that all thoughtit had negatively impacted food and service.
SIMJUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #37
GreenCntryGirl
The DIS keeps me up past my bedtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwheels View Post
The dining plan is not a value by any means! Chances are you would save much more money by paying OOP. We went in August for 8 days we kept track of all our food expenses we spent $771 the dining plan would have cost us over $1100 we ate at all the TS we wanted to including flying fish. Dining plan def not worth the price unless it's free!
It will be worth it for us. It depends on the size of your family and their ages.

I am not going during a Free Dining promotion so that is not a factor.

Mimi, Papa, Daddy, Uncle Alec, and Boo
Star Wars Weekend 2013
All Star Music
GreenCntryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #38
Dwheels
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenCntryGirl

It will be worth it for us. It depends on the size of your family and their ages.

I am not going during a Free Dining promotion so that is not a factor.
I guess we are a family of 4. 2 adults 2 kids one of which is 10 so have to pay adult prices! When the plan first came out in 05 it was def worth it only 37.99 for adult 10 for kid included app entree and dessert and it also included tip. Now at 55 a day for adult and 18 for kids I def don't think it's worth it!! You should run the numbers chances are you will save money!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #39
LILJAN59
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwheels

I guess we are a family of 4. 2 adults 2 kids one of which is 10 so have to pay adult prices! When the plan first came out in 05 it was def worth it only 37.99 for adult 10 for kid included app entree and dessert and it also included tip. Now at 55 a day for adult and 18 for kids I def don't think it's worth it!! You should run the numbers chances are you will save money!
I agree. We had always bought the dining plan since the gold key card. It is now too pricey for us for 6 adults and 1 child. We are DVC members, and on our next visit, we will use annual passes and buy the Tables In Wonderland Card. We will use the card for one meal a day, and the rest of the time eat in our 2 BR at SSR. I can say, I think the dining plan would be better if they offered a salad or a sour OR a dessert. Most people I know would rather not have the dessert!!
DL 1993, DL 1997, Magic, ASM 1999, Off site 2005,
Purchased DVC SSR 2005, Wonder, SSR 2006,
SSR 2006, AKL, VWL 2007, AKL, VWL 2009,
AKL,OKW 2010, HH 2010, SSR, VB 2011,
OKW, Dream 2011, BLT 2013 rincessrincessirateirate:
LILJAN59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #40
Dwheels
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILJAN59

I agree. We had always bought the dining plan since the gold key card. It is now too pricey for us for 6 adults and 1 child. We are DVC members, and on our next visit, we will use annual passes and buy the Tables In Wonderland Card. We will use the card for one meal a day, and the rest of the time eat in our 2 BR at SSR. I can say, I think the dining plan would be better if they offered a salad or a sour OR a dessert. Most people I know would rather not have the dessert!!
We used the TIW card last time def worth it
Old 09-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #41
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Once again, it depends on the family. It obviously doesn't work for your family and the way you prefer to eat. It works for others and the way they prefer to eat. They may prefer to only eat at the most expensive restaurants and/or order the most expensive meals. You can't just make a blanket statement that it isn't worth the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILJAN59 View Post
I can say, I think the dining plan would be better if they offered a salad or a sour OR a dessert. Most people I know would rather not have the dessert!!
I think a lot of us would love it if it was changed to appy instead of dessert. But it won't happen for one simple reason: desserts are usually cheaper to produce than appys. And since we prefer appys over desserts, and since I'd rather have a glass of wine at dinner instead of a soda, we don't do the DDP (free or paid). Much happier with a room only discount.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #42
Dwheels
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum
Once again, it depends on the family. It obviously doesn't work for your family and the way you prefer to eat. It works for others and the way they prefer to eat. They may prefer to only eat at the most expensive restaurants and/or order the most expensive meals. You can't just make a blanket statement that it isn't worth the money.

I think a lot of us would love it if it was changed to appy instead of dessert. But it won't happen for one simple reason: desserts are usually cheaper to produce than appys. And since we prefer appys over desserts, and since I'd rather have a glass of wine at dinner instead of a soda, we don't do the DDP (free or paid). Much happier with a room only discount.
Even if you order the most expensive on the menu it still does t pay anymore!! Especially if you are choosing signature dinners that's where they really get you! With the new prices it's very hard to beat the dining plan
Old 09-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #43
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

We will have to agree to disagree. I've seen many posts on other threads that have reported that a family with several children who plan on mostly character buffets is most likely going to save money on the DDP. Add in a F. dining package at Mama Mia's and a steak dinner at a 1 TS restaurant, and it will probably save you money.

I'm not completely disagreeing with what you are saying in principle- I don't think it's a great bargain for a lot of people. But it can be for some.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #44
Dwheels
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum
We will have to agree to disagree. I've seen many posts on other threads that have reported that a family with several children who plan on mostly character buffets is most likely going to save money on the DDP. Add in a F. dining package at Mama Mia's and a steak dinner at a 1 TS restaurant, and it will probably save you money.

I'm not completely disagreeing with what you are saying in principle- I don't think it's a great bargain for a lot of people. But it can be for some.
Yea def gonna have to agree to disagree but unless you are on the deluxe dining plan you couldn't do those restaurants like that all I one day. Well you could but you would end up running out it TS early. Idk still don't see how it can save you money maybe break even
Old 10-01-2012, 01:37 AM   #45
GreenCntryGirl
The DIS keeps me up past my bedtime.

Quote:
Oh, I ran them. And ran them. And ran them some more. It's almost a compulsion and I look for good deals like it's a sport.

With all the character meals my granddaughter has chosen the dining plan will be much cheaper. Without that, OOP would be cheaper.

Mimi, Papa, Daddy, Uncle Alec, and Boo
Star Wars Weekend 2013
All Star Music
GreenCntryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: