Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #16
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilberry View Post
I thought Wheat Belly was a nice book. It offers a different idea for weight loss and improving health. Many of the ideas mentioned in it where not all that new to me. I'd been reading about celiac disease and the problems wheat can cause some for years due to a stomach issue. But what was enlightening was how wide spread wheat intolerance might be, how todays wheat is radically different than what our ancestors ate in the past, and how whole grains might be just as unhealthy as refined white wheat.

Personally since I stopped eating wheat, plus other grains, things I've noticed is that I've stopped developing dental cavities, cholesterol levels improved, and the grumpy gut issue became so much better - thankfully!

Dr. Davis has a blog sight in addition to his book.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/
Glad you posted the link. Thanks! I find it interesting reading. There is research that was done decades before this book was written that backs the doctors findings but the issue has gone largely ignored.

It does give a person pause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
I have not read it, but 2 friends did and each lost over 25 pounds in under 4 months. One friend also lost her personality though! When she gets real cranky I suggest a bagel. It's lots of meat and veg. Almond flour(yuck) but I guess it's better than nothing.
I bet that goes over big!

Seriously, bread and bread products are such a part of our diet it would be a challenge to do even a part of what is proposed. At least for me that is.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
justhat
DC DISer
pick one night and stay up later for Wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
Well for what it's worth I also have a "stubborn belly roll". I am 5'5' and weigh about 108 lbs so I am definatly not overweight at all. My "belly roll" comes from the fact that I have been pregnant 3 times. I didn't gain alot of weight while pregnant (20-25lbs) but having 3 babies over 8 lbs stretched my stomach to the max. It's stretched out skin and it will never go away without a "tummy-tuck" and I am not willing to do that so my roll will stay and I am fine with that. I do not believe it is caused by eating wheat.
I agree about the kids. I am roughly your size (about an inch shorter and 2lbs heavier), also had 3 babies over 8lbs, and my stomach is mostly flat, but I have that same roll of excess, stretched out skin (and fat, I'm sure). I run 2-4 miles a day, at least 3 days a week, do weight training, yoga, and and overall fairly toned. But the tummy remains!

We eat meat, but very rarely red meat (I maybe buy it once every month or 2), so it's pretty much just chicken or fish. And we do a lot of beans and vegetable proteins.

Regarding wheat, I'm in no way against it, my kids eat sandwiches on sprouted whole grain bread with flaxseeds, I use whole wheat flour in anything we cook/bake, but we honestly don't eat a lot of it. Other than my kids school lunches, we don't buy/use bread for anything else. We don't do many crackers or that stuff either.
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #18
disfan07
DIS Veteran

I don't believe wheat is bad for you unless you have Celiac or are allergic to wheat.

I fall into the second category. Found out in July that I am allergic to wheat. So I went on a gluten free diet. Has...done...absolutely...nothing for me except keep me from having an allergic reaction. I have been having serious GI problems for the past 1 1/2 years and they have been getting increasingly worse. All tests for celiac came back negative and there was no visible damage on my endoscopy. But we figured since I had to go gluten free anyway, maybe the tests were wrong...nope...my GI problems have gotten worse since I went gluten free.

Since I've gone gluten free my GI problems, my allergies, my eczema, my asthma, my heart, and , my neuro problems have all been getting worse.

Maybe it's because I have been forced to limit my diet so much because of allergies, but I don't understand why you would choose to eliminate any food unless 100% necessary. But I guess when you are able to add it back in or "cheat" if you want, there is a different attitude about eliminating foods than if you know you will never be able to eat it again. Personally, I would give anything to be able to have a sandwich on a nice soft piece of Honey wheat bread or a bagel with cream cheese and jelly right now.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #19
JaneBanks
Lime Cordial, delicious! Laughing on the ceiling with Uncle Albert

Well, if someone has PCOS, it's considered insulin intolerance so not eating any kind of carb or ground veggie is very important and does help tremendously. I also think if you are Metabolism type B this "lifestyle" is a miracle as well.

(ME) (DH) =

December 2010 Grand Floridian Honeymoon

February 2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
January 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter

2014 Reading Challenge
Currently Reading Book #1 - The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #20
trip
family trip planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
Well for what it's worth I also have a "stubborn belly roll". I am 5'5' and weigh about 108 lbs so I am definatly not overweight at all. My "belly roll" comes from the fact that I have been pregnant 3 times. I didn't gain alot of weight while pregnant (20-25lbs) but having 3 babies over 8 lbs stretched my stomach to the max. It's stretched out skin and it will never go away without a "tummy-tuck" and I am not willing to do that so my roll will stay and I am fine with that. I do not believe it is caused by eating wheat.
My MIL used to call it a "Mothers Apron".
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #21
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan07 View Post
I don't believe wheat is bad for you unless you have Celiac or are allergic to wheat.

I fall into the second category. Found out in July that I am allergic to wheat. So I went on a gluten free diet. Has...done...absolutely...nothing for me except keep me from having an allergic reaction. I have been having serious GI problems for the past 1 1/2 years and they have been getting increasingly worse. All tests for celiac came back negative and there was no visible damage on my endoscopy. But we figured since I had to go gluten free anyway, maybe the tests were wrong...nope...my GI problems have gotten worse since I went gluten free.

Since I've gone gluten free my GI problems, my allergies, my eczema, my asthma, my heart, and , my neuro problems have all been getting worse.

Maybe it's because I have been forced to limit my diet so much because of allergies, but I don't understand why you would choose to eliminate any food unless 100% necessary. But I guess when you are able to add it back in or "cheat" if you want, there is a different attitude about eliminating foods than if you know you will never be able to eat it again. Personally, I would give anything to be able to have a sandwich on a nice soft piece of Honey wheat bread or a bagel with cream cheese and jelly right now.
I gave up wheat a few years ago. I'm not allergic nor do I have celiac disease. What I do have is an addiction to bread. Seriously! Put a bag of M&M's in front of me and I wouldn't even think of eating that garbage. Put a homemade, whole grain bread in front of me and I will devour the entire thing. Forget the veggies. Forget the other healthy foods. I would fill up on bread and very little else. I gave up bread which also meant getting rid of the whole wheat flour in my home so I don't make more bread. Since giving it up, I feel so much different and better. While I can't swear that it was the wheat that caused me to feel better, there does seem to be a correlation between the two.

I do not eat gluten-free products. I don't eat refined grains and that is what most gluten-free products are, IMO. I eat plenty of whole grains including a variety of brown rices, millet, buckwheat, oats, and quinoa.

I'm sorry you aren't finding any relief by going gluten-free. My son suffers from severe food allergies and it has taken many years and many elimination diets to get him to a point where he isn't vomiting daily or curled up on his bed with severe stomach cramps. What we are doing now works great for him. I told him he will eat this way until he is on his own without any exceptions. My days of cleaning up puke are over. If he wants to experiment when he is out on his own, he is free to do that.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #22
Disney0010
Mouseketeer

No one eating plan works for every person. My Dr. put me on a healthy low carb eating plan April 10th. As of Friday when I went in for my six month blood work results I had dropped 65 lbs in the first 5 1/2 months. My cholesterol dropped from 208 to 121. For me, carbs are a bad thing. I stay away from most. I am now working out six days a week for up to one hour per day. Cravings are long gone. I still have not met my goals but am closer than ever.

Don't let anyone tell you that Low Carb is not healthy as it can be done with healthy options. My blood work is proof of that. I visit my Dr. every thirty days so that they keep an eye on my progress and weigh in plus it's an incentive to continue on this plan knowing that I have someone to report to. Notice that I have not used the word "diet". Diets don't work. Never have and never will. This is a life plan for me. I suggest for anyone needing to lose weight, get with you Dr. and find a plan that fits your needs.
Disney0010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #23
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

I don't eat refined grains or sugar and haven't in a few years. It really isn't that hard if you're willing to experiment and try new things. That being said, I carry weight in my middle and really have to work my core hard several days a week, along with cardio & weight training to keep it in check.

BTW, I didn't give these up to lose weight. It's was more because of an addiction to cake and ice cream.
Poohforyou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #24
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
Because that's where you happen to have stored fat?

I mean.. there really needn't be some grand explanation/secret. People store fat in different places - some people have bigger thighs, others arms, others have a gut, etc.

There is no such thing as spot reducing (unless you're using liposuction to do it, heh), and subdermal fat is fat. Your fat cells are your fat cells, you keep 'em for life unless you have them removed. You can shrink them through weight loss but same as some people lose everything but that stubborn spare tire so do others have fat cheeks or hips or what have you.
Not necessarily true. My Cardiologists, and family practitioner and well as my GYN, also DH cardiologist have said the same thing. Once you reach a certain age you store fat differently. This poster never said anything about spot reducing, that isn't what she is talking about. People who store fat around the middle are typically insulin resistant and carbs are stored as fat more around the middle. They have been saying for years that fat stored around the middle is completely different in regards to your health. Doctors these days are saying to get rid of any processed carb and limit your total carbs even the ones that are "good carbs" if you fall into this category.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #25
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Not necessarily true. My Cardiologists, and family practitioner and well as my GYN, also DH cardiologist have said the same thing. Once you reach a certain age you store fat differently. This poster never said anything about spot reducing, that isn't what she is talking about. People who store fat around the middle are typically insulin resistant and carbs are stored as fat more around the middle. They have been saying for years that fat stored around the middle is completely different in regards to your health. Doctors these days are saying to get rid of any processed carb and limit your total carbs even the ones that are "good carbs" if you fall into this category.
There are entirely different types of fat 'stored around the middle' and in different ways.

Yes, aging generally produces middle-aged spread with a thicker waist, however, you're classifying any abdominal fat seemingly the same, when it's not at all. There are different types of fat, different places it's stored, etc.

The poster said there was a stubborn roll, that doesn't necessarily indicate anything but that that's where her fat happens to be.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #26
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran

Whole grains are good for you. What isn't good for you is the genetically altered crap the US now has for wheat. When they changed it to be "hardier" they also upped the protein, so now its not as easily digestable and actually will 'stick' inside you.

If you look at the rising number of "gluten allergies" in this country since they've done this, you will see a definite correlation. Italy, France, nope. Not a big rise in Celiacs.

It's the wheat, it's "The Wheat" that is causing problems. Just leave the damn food alone please?

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
LuvsDragonflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:17 AM   #27
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
There are entirely different types of fat 'stored around the middle' and in different ways.

Yes, aging generally produces middle-aged spread with a thicker waist, however, you're classifying any abdominal fat seemingly the same, when it's not at all. There are different types of fat, different places it's stored, etc.

The poster said there was a stubborn roll, that doesn't necessarily indicate anything but that that's where her fat happens to be.
YOu believe what you want, I will believe what my Doctors say.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #28
Gretchen
Mouseketeer

No wheat products, dairy, nuts for me. I don't eat anything labeled gluten free unless it's gluten free by nature. That stuff has other sugars etc put into it that bother me. I have IBS and MCS and all those whole grain wheat products just mess me up.
1998 Polynesian 1999 Contemporary
1999 Carribean Beach 2000 DisneyLand Offsite
2002 Wilderness Lodge! 2004 Vistana Resort
2007 Port Orleans Riverside (Dixie Landings!)
2008 All Star Vacation home
2011 Dolphin (Birthday Bash!)
2013 Dolphin
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #29
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

OP, I'd say give it a shot and see how you feel.

Cut your carb intake in general. Both processed and "unprocessed". As some have said, even the "natural whole grain wheat" that we see today is probably different from the wheat of days gone by.

It will take more label reading, as many foods have wheat in them, or wheat flour or some form of wheat something. But there are a lot of other whole grains, many of which have already been mentioned here so no need for me to repeat them.

Good luck!
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #30
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Thanks for everyone's input. I think it is fascinating reading. I really do. There is scientific research that validates the cardiologist's findings. Part of me doesn't want to believe it because, come on! It's wheat! It's supposed to be good for you! But then what he states makes a lot of sense.

So, like I said, I'm keeping an open mind about it.

I'm not what I would consider fat. I have some pounds to lose but not a whole lot. My belly isn't terribly big, it's just not responding to my dietary changes like I'd like. But in the end, it isn't about the pounds it's more about feeling better and eating better.

I've been tweaking my eating habits for quite awhile now. Anyone that has read the, "Foods states are known for", thread can come to the conclusion that I do like to eat. But I exercise too. It's all about moderation/balance for me.

I don't know if or how I'll use the information at this point. I'm still gathering information. I know there are a lot of alternatives for wheat and wheat products, so it may be just a matter of a different selection. I don't know. It wouldn't anything hurt to try.

We'll see.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: