Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
PetePanMan
Mouseketeer

How long did you stay at DC?

Just wondering if most people stay full day to closing (around 5 pm'sh I think) or a half day (ie leave after lunch sometime)

Has anyone ever tried arriving later around 10am'sh?

FYI...We would be going in late April

Thx for any info/advice
PetePanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

IMHO, Discovery Cove is an all day park. You can easily fill the time from open to close with all the things they have to do.

We have been twice....once on January 1st, 2012 with the dolphin swim and once on August 29th, 2012 without the dolphin swim (but with a cabana). Both visits, we arrived just shortly after 8 and stayed until between 4:30 and 5 pm. And in both instances, time passed way too quickly.....you will be amazed at how fast a "relaxing" day goes by.

You can check out my two trip reports (see links in my signature below) for lots of info and photos on the different attractions at the park.

Also, you don't say if you plan on doing the dolphin swim or not. If you are, be aware that a late arrival will put your swim very late in the afternoon. Swim times are assigned as you arrive, so the earlier you get there the earlier your swim will be.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Mason's Mom
Mouseketeer

All day for sure!!

We checked in at 7:45 and left around 4:30. Loved every minute!!
Pop Sept 10-15 2011 Free Dining
CSR Sept 24-29 2010 Free Dining
All Star Movies Sept 12-18 2009 Free Dining
All Star Music Sept 20-26 2008 Free Dining
Pop Feb 2007 Free Dining
ME DH DS
Mason's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Ahtay
Earning My Ears

Agree all day .... And it goes fast and you will want more! It's by far the best $$ we have spent! Even if you bypass the dolphin swim, you can see those that are doing it. It's an amazing thing to see even from the sidelines!!
Ahtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Treelight
Earning My Ears

We stayed the entire day (and beyond)!!! The posted closing time is basically the time that the attractions close. Guests may stay in the water until that time, then you may gather your things, shower, etc. This is what we did and we were never rushed out of the park by any employee. We swam until closing, showered, then purchased pictures. We did not take the time during the day to view, select and purchase pictures because we wanted to make the most of the attractions that we paid so much money for. I would recommend staying the whole day as many people do choose to leave early and the end of the day was less crowded.
Treelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

For the amount of money I would never, ever leave before it closes if I could help it. We get there at 8am where even though it isn't officially open, you can go in, eat breakfast and find the best base for your family. Any later than 10 I would say the available seats left aren't the best. Then of course we stay till 5- there is plenty to do at DC and I just wouldnt spend all that money if you weren't getting the most value out of it

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
PetePanMan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth View Post
For the amount of money I would never, ever leave before it closes if I could help it. We get there at 8am where even though it isn't officially open, you can go in, eat breakfast and find the best base for your family. Any later than 10 I would say the available seats left aren't the best. Then of course we stay till 5- there is plenty to do at DC and I just wouldnt spend all that money if you weren't getting the most value out of it
Thanks, good to know. So you can go in have breakfast, get beach location etc. before the official opening time - is this correct? Thx
PetePanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePanMan

Thanks, good to know. So you can go in have breakfast, get beach location etc. before the official opening time - is this correct? Thx
Yup- pretty sure- this is what myself and many others do. It's best to get the most time in this amazing place and means you can spend more time in the water

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
bas71873
DIS Veteran

'Til we were kicked out. We had a cabana right on the Grand Reef and DD was one of about 5 people still swimming around when the lifeguards blew the whistle and said "time to go"

US/IOA - June 2015; Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: