DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

MVMCP - torn if it's worth it for the timing of our trip

First let me say that we've never been and Christmas is our favorite holiday. But.... Here's the dilemma...
We arrive on Thursday, November 15. There is a party that evening, but we don't land until 4:30, so it would be a waste.
There is another party that Friday, but I'm torn. If we were going to just relax at the resort and not use a park day on our ticket, I would be OK with it. But that is a low crowd day compared to the rest of our trip through Thanksgiving.

So... Do we go and enjoy - or - go to TOTWL on Thursday and enjoy the firework display for MVMCP and spend all of Friday touring the parks while they are not as crowded.

I really want to go, but just don't know if it is worth missing out on other park time when the rest of our time there will be very crazy.

Just looking for some advice. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

If you have never done this event, then I say 'ya gotta' do it. We went for the first time in Dec 2010 and really enjoyed it. The park feels so festive at night and the parade and fireworks are great. You won't enjoy the fireworks as much watching from TOTWL. Since you do not have an early flight on arrival day, you may consider going that night. You probably could get to MK by 6:30 and have plenty of time to get everything in. It's a tough call, cause travel day can be tiring. Even if you don't have to get up early.

If you don't want to go on arrival day, then I would definitely find a way to go some other evening during your trip. We can't wait to go on 12/4/12. We're just hoping it's not as cold as when we went in 2010 -- 40F at parade time

Enjoy your trip!!
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, Jambo Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidanifan08 View Post
If you have never done this event, then I say 'ya gotta' do it. We went for the first time in Dec 2010 and really enjoyed it. The park feels so festive at night and the parade and fireworks are great. You won't enjoy the fireworks as much watching from TOTWL. Since you do not have an early flight on arrival day, you may consider going that night. You probably could get to MK by 6:30 and have plenty of time to get everything in. It's a tough call, cause travel day can be tiring. Even if you don't have to get up early.

If you don't want to go on arrival day, then I would definitely find a way to go some other evening during your trip. We can't wait to go on 12/4/12. We're just hoping it's not as cold as when we went in 2010 -- 40F at parade time

Enjoy your trip!!
Thanks! Just want to hear it's worth it. I may wait to buy the tickets - maybe if we get to the resort early enough we may try to get in the first night.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
rklives
Earning My Ears

I agree, if youve never been there, then id say you should go, the parade and fireworks along with all the festive decor make it all worth it.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
knfries
AKA NUNU

Mvmcp

Do go - you won't regret it. Enjoying MK at night when the crowd is limited is so much fun. Enjoying hot chocolate and cookies while watching the parade is fantastic. My three grandkids, ages 14, 11, and 10 beg to go every year.
knfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
jstarcze
DIS Veteran

I've gone the last two years and will go this year too. I holiday atmosphere is the best! And there are virtually no lines for the rides. Getting a good spot for the parade or holiday wishes can be fun though.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
Sammie
DIS Veteran

I would not buy tickets in advance I would wait and see what the weather is.

We went last year and the weather was miserable and it was a total waste of a lot of money.

It rained so hard, shows were cancelled, parades were reduced, and fireworks are not viewable.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
Pirate Granny
DIS Veteran

We try to make the most of our time, so arrive at 4pm, don't go the first day as you'll lose time, and will need to eat once you arrive
Old 09-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
I would not buy tickets in advance I would wait and see what the weather is.

We went last year and the weather was miserable and it was a total waste of a lot of money.

It rained so hard, shows were cancelled, parades were reduced, and fireworks are not viewable.
I think that's my biggest fear. We were there the same week in 2008 and it was freezing. We'll plan on going but wait to buy the tickets. I'm assuming the tickets won't be sold out. It's going to cost us over $350, so I'd hate for it to be a waste. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanboys View Post
I think that's my biggest fear. We were there the same week in 2008 and it was freezing. We'll plan on going but wait to buy the tickets. I'm assuming the tickets won't be sold out. It's going to cost us over $350, so I'd hate for it to be a waste. Thanks for the advice.
I guess there is always a small chance it would sell out, but honestly I would rather not go then experience what we went through.

It was just miserable the entire night and all the special stuff that makes the ticket worth the cost was either entirely cancelled or reduced to the point of not enjoying it. Honestly the rain was so heavy it made fog when they did the fireworks and after the first one went you could not even see the Castle and we were standing in front of Crystal Palace.

Walking performers and horses were pulled from the parade due to safety issues, and the rain got so heavy that what was left of the parade was just a few floats and the characters on the floats just gave up at Casey's and got off the floats before it even made it down Main St.

The stage shows were cancelled.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: