Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Have you read the book: Wheat belly : lose the wheat, lose the weight...?

I'm a couple of chapters into this book. It's interesting. I have lost some pounds but I can't seem to lose any from around my waist. That's why the title got my attention. That coupled with the tidbits I have heard against the use of wheat. Seems kind of strange, but I keep seeing articles pop up about it.

I'm not very far into the book. It is written by a cardiologist and he maintains that eliminating wheat has helped his patients recover from a host of illnesses. Pretty amazing premise with wheat and whole grains heavily advertised for good health.

I will say the book raises points to consider. I am keeping an open mind while reading it. The thing is wheat and whole grains are in just about everything, so it would be a daunting task to cut them out.

If you read the book, what do you think about it? Did you cut out wheat and did it help you with "wheat belly" and/or medical issues?

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

I haven't read that book, but I have experience with cutting out or back on refined carbs and losing weight and lowering cholesterol. It works really well, and yes, when you lose weight, some illnesses will almost go into remission. My dad was diabetic and lost weight and now he is off meds completely.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Not rolling my eyes at you but at the concept that eliminating wheat will get you thin and healthy. Whole grains are good for you, wheat included, refined not so much. If you want to eliminate something from your diet to make you thinner and healthier eliminate most or all animal products. Eat tons of produce. That's it, there is the "secret".

I eat no meat and very little dairy and lots of produce. Guess what, I am thin and healthy. I am not on a diet, this is just my lifestyle. Try it and trust me it will work better than eliminating wheat.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by torinsmom View Post
I haven't read that book, but I have experience with cutting out or back on refined carbs and losing weight and lowering cholesterol. It works really well, and yes, when you lose weight, some illnesses will almost go into remission. My dad was diabetic and lost weight and now he is off meds completely.
I lost weight (50 pounds) by reducing carbs and eliminating refined carbs. I ate only whole grains, minimally.

We are omnivores. Everything in moderation while avoiding processed foods.
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip… 7/13-7/18 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
OceanAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torinsmom View Post
From what I read so far, it isn't just losing weight that helped people recover from illnesses but eliminating genetically modified wheat. The author goes into depth (maybe too much, my eyes started to gloss over) about the over processing of wheat and how it effects the body in many ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
Not rolling my eyes at you but at the concept that eliminating wheat will get you thin and healthy. Whole grains are good for you, wheat included, refined not so much. If you want to eliminate something from your diet to make you thinner and healthier eliminate most or all animal products. Eat tons of produce. That's it, there is the "secret".

I eat no meat and very little dairy and lots of produce. Guess what, I am thin and healthy. I am not on a diet, this is just my lifestyle. Try it and trust me it will work better than eliminating wheat.
I read your post again. I have reduced meat intake. Not really looking for a "secret". I have modified my diet. And I have been exercising pretty consistently. It is a lifestyle change. Not looking for a magic bullet. It's a no brainer about adding more fruits and veggies,limiting sugars and processed food.

It's an interesting book. I think I'm doing a lot of the "right" things but there is a reason why the stubborn belly roll is still there. I don't know what it is, I'm just keeping an open mind about it.

I don't think I could eliminate whole grains, but I do think I could cut down some more on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Tea Party View Post
I lost weight (50 pounds) by reducing carbs and eliminating refined carbs. I ate only whole grains, minimally.

We are omnivores. Everything in moderation while avoiding processed foods.
Good for you!

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

Old 09-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
From what I read so far, it isn't just losing weight that helped people recover from illnesses but eliminating genetically modified wheat. The author goes into depth (maybe too much, my eyes started to gloss over) about the over processing of wheat and how it effects the body in many ways.

I read your post again. I have reduced meat intake. Not really looking for a "secret". I have modified my diet. And I have been exercising pretty consistently. It is a lifestyle change. Not looking for a magic bullet. It's a no brainer about adding more fruits and veggies,limiting sugars and processed food.

It's an interesting book. I think I'm doing a lot of the "right" things but there is a reason why the stubborn belly roll is still there. I don't know what it is, I'm just keeping an open mind about it.

I don't think I could eliminate whole grains, but I do think I could cut down some more on them.

Good for you!
Because that's where you happen to have stored fat?

I mean.. there really needn't be some grand explanation/secret. People store fat in different places - some people have bigger thighs, others arms, others have a gut, etc.

There is no such thing as spot reducing (unless you're using liposuction to do it, heh), and subdermal fat is fat. Your fat cells are your fat cells, you keep 'em for life unless you have them removed. You can shrink them through weight loss but same as some people lose everything but that stubborn spare tire so do others have fat cheeks or hips or what have you.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
OceanAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
Because that's where you happen to have stored fat?

I mean.. there really needn't be some grand explanation/secret. People store fat in different places - some people have bigger thighs, others arms, others have a gut, etc.

There is no such thing as spot reducing (unless you're using liposuction to do it, heh), and subdermal fat is fat. Your fat cells are your fat cells, you keep 'em for life unless you have them removed. You can shrink them through weight loss but same as some people lose everything but that stubborn spare tire so do others have fat cheeks or hips or what have you.
Could be as simple as that I suppose. Maybe it's the last place the weight will drop off of. Who knows?

Old 09-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think I'm doing a lot of the "right" things but there is a reason why the stubborn belly roll is still there. I don't know what it is, I'm just keeping an open mind about it.
Well for what it's worth I also have a "stubborn belly roll". I am 5'5' and weigh about 108 lbs so I am definatly not overweight at all. My "belly roll" comes from the fact that I have been pregnant 3 times. I didn't gain alot of weight while pregnant (20-25lbs) but having 3 babies over 8 lbs stretched my stomach to the max. It's stretched out skin and it will never go away without a "tummy-tuck" and I am not willing to do that so my roll will stay and I am fine with that. I do not believe it is caused by eating wheat.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

Lowering refined carbs will force your body to burn stored fat, so it WILL help get rid of belly fat, as well as any other stored fat. I would actually focus as much or more on reducing sugar as I would on refined wheat. Focus on naturally sweet foods such as fruit instead.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
JaneBanks
Lime Cordial, delicious! Laughing on the ceiling with Uncle Albert

Look in to the low amylos diet. It is the diet that women with PCOS swear by to control it and gain back fertility (and lose weight quickly!).

No sugar and no carbs.

The belly fat may be due to the type of metabolism you have.

This blog explains it perfectly!

http://thelifeofsuz.blogspot.com/201...m-miracle.html

(ME) (DH) =

December 2010 Grand Floridian Honeymoon

February 2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
January 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter

2014 Reading Challenge
Currently Reading Book #1 - The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Quote:
I'm a couple of chapters into this book. It's interesting. I have lost some pounds but I can't seem to lose any from around my waist. That's why the title got my attention. That coupled with the tidbits I have heard against the use of wheat. Seems kind of strange, but I keep seeing articles pop up about it.

I'm not very far into the book. It is written by a cardiologist and he maintains that eliminating wheat has helped his patients recover from a host of illnesses. Pretty amazing premise with wheat and whole grains heavily advertised for good health.

I will say the book raises points to consider. I am keeping an open mind while reading it. The thing is wheat and whole grains are in just about everything, so it would be a daunting task to cut them out.

If you read the book, what do you think about it? Did you cut out wheat and did it help you with "wheat belly" and/or medical issues?
I haven't read the book yet (it's on my "wish list" at Amazon though) but I did see the doctor on a talk show and things he said makes sense so I definitely want to read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post

Oh, you're a doctor? Hmmmmm.....

No, maybe eliminating wheat will not "get you thin and healthy" but it might help. Do you know what things have been done to wheat and some other grains these days? My DH is a farmer and we do raise wheat. It has been genetically altered in the past few years and is quite different than wheat of years ago.

The doctor suggested eating "ancient grains" like quinoa, amarenth, etc.

You say you eat no meat so you're vegetarian. Not everyone feels that is the "right way" either. Lean meats, and especially white meat, fish, etc. are good for you in moderation as it is protein and your body needs that.

I wouldn't pass judgment on the book, or the cardiologist that wrote it, until I've read it and put his suggestions into practice and see what happens.

It does make me wonder though, with so many people having digestive issues like Colitis, Crohn's, Celiac and a myriad of other ailments, exactly what in our diet is causing these problems. And I'm not talking about obese people, I'm talking about supposedly thin and otherwise healthy people who do follow a good diet and still have problems.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
OceanAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneBanks View Post
Look in to the low amylos diet. It is the diet that women with PCOS swear by to control it and gain back fertility (and lose weight quickly!).

No sugar and no carbs.

The belly fat may be due to the type of metabolism you have.

This blog explains it perfectly!

http://thelifeofsuz.blogspot.com/201...m-miracle.html
Thanks for the link! I'm reading it.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGrandma View Post
I haven't read the book yet (it's on my "wish list" at Amazon though) but I did see the doctor on a talk show and things he said makes sense so I definitely want to read it.

Oh, you're a doctor? Hmmmmm.....

No, maybe eliminating wheat will not "get you thin and healthy" but it might help. Do you know what things have been done to wheat and some other grains these days? My DH is a farmer and we do raise wheat. It has been genetically altered in the past few years and is quite different than wheat of years ago.

The doctor suggested eating "ancient grains" like quinoa, amarenth, etc.

You say you eat no meat so you're vegetarian. Not everyone feels that is the "right way" either. Lean meats, and especially white meat, fish, etc. are good for you in moderation as it is protein and your body needs that. I wouldn't pass judgment on the book, or the cardiologist that wrote it, until I've read it and put his suggestions into practice and see what happens.

It does make me wonder though, with so many people having digestive issues like Colitis, Crohn's, Celiac and a myriad of other ailments, exactly what in our diet is causing these problems. And I'm not talking about obese people, I'm talking about supposedly thin and otherwise healthy people who do follow a good diet and still have problems.
I do get protien a much better way through, veggies, beans, nuts and legumes
Old 09-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
Bilberry
DIS Veteran

I thought Wheat Belly was a nice book. It offers a different idea for weight loss and improving health. Many of the ideas mentioned in it where not all that new to me. I'd been reading about celiac disease and the problems wheat can cause some for years due to a stomach issue. But what was enlightening was how wide spread wheat intolerance might be, how todays wheat is radically different than what our ancestors ate in the past, and how whole grains might be just as unhealthy as refined white wheat.

Personally since I stopped eating wheat, plus other grains, things I've noticed is that I've stopped developing dental cavities, cholesterol levels improved, and the grumpy gut issue became so much better - thankfully!

Dr. Davis has a blog sight in addition to his book.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/
Bilberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #15
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

I have not read it, but 2 friends did and each lost over 25 pounds in under 4 months. One friend also lost her personality though! When she gets real cranky I suggest a bagel. It's lots of meat and veg. Almond flour(yuck) but I guess it's better than nothing.
java is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: