Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
codimouse
Over 45 Trips to Disney from San Antonio, Tx!

Arrow Disneyworld via Tampa

Our lives took on a whirlwind schedule after our trip to the Land in March. We had to move in to my dad's house as he fell very ill and my mom needs help to watch over him.

Well, not to be selfish but my little family needs a Disney fix. We all have a 11 days off for Thanksgiving break.

We found it is cheaper to fly into Tampa airport than directly to MCO. We will rent a car at the airport and drive the hour and a half drive to the Disney Park area. We are still looking for a place to stay either on site or DTD.

Have others flown into Tampa? Is it an easy drive?
codimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
HayGan
We could all use some pixie dust now and then :)
Papa Smurf Oh Papa Smurf!

Location: Steeler Country - PA!!!! Home of the World Champion PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!

Sorry to hear bout your dad. Sounds like a difficult situation for everyone. I can understand why you & your family would need a break.

It is a very easy drive from Tampa to WDW. It takes approximately 1 -1.5hr and is all highway.

Car rentals tend to be a bit higher at TPA rather than MCO but hopefully your flight savings will make up for the difference.

Have a great trip. Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to be at WDW!

(BTW, San Antonio is one of my favorite cities in all fo the US. You are lucky to live in such a great place !)
Next up:
Girls Only B-Day trip for F&WF - Oct. 2013, Turkey Day & 1st cruise! Nov/Dec. 2013
, Key West & BCV for the first time!!! May 2014
HayGan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by codimouse View Post
Our lives took on a whirlwind schedule after our trip to the Land in March. We had to move in to my dad's house as he fell very ill and my mom needs help to watch over him.

Well, not to be selfish but my little family needs a Disney fix. We all have a 11 days off for Thanksgiving break.

We found it is cheaper to fly into Tampa airport than directly to MCO. We will rent a car at the airport and drive the hour and a half drive to the Disney Park area. We are still looking for a place to stay either on site or DTD.

Have others flown into Tampa? Is it an easy drive?
I've done it quite a few times and actually prefer Tampa. I find the security much more efficient in Tampa.

Have a great trip and enjoy your well deserved vacation!
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
codimouse

thank you!

rentals rates are very expensive there. i use avis because i also have it through the company i own. even with my free days it is pricey, but still cheaper than flying to MCO even with gas, and using the car and paying for parking at the parks.

san antonio is lovely...especially this time of the year. fall weather has finally arrived.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by codimouse View Post
thank you!

rentals rates are very expensive there. i use avis because i also have it through the company i own. even with my free days it is pricey, but still cheaper than flying to MCO even with gas, and using the car and paying for parking at the parks.

san antonio is lovely...especially this time of the year. fall weather has finally arrived.
Try carrentalsavers.com. I was able to get a premium for $12 a day with Dollar Columbus Day weekend at Tampa.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
codimouse

thanks!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
dudspizza
I married in to a Disney crazy family... now I have become the craziest of them all!

Super easy drive straight across I-4. WDW is on the SW side or Orlando, so you have no problem getting there........ We did the drive from Sarasota to WDW in 1 hour 45 minutes or so.......
Old 09-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

You'll drive about 6 miles on I-275 to get to I-4,from there it'll be 62-68 miles to the Disney exits depending on which one you get off at,the closest one is World drive (62 miles),so you're looking at a 68-75 mile trip so without traffic you're looking at right around 60-70 minutes,very easy drive.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
codimouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM1001
You'll drive about 6 miles on I-275 to get to I-4,from there it'll be 62-68 miles to the Disney exits depending on which one you get off at,the closest one is World drive (62 miles),so you're looking at a 68-75 mile trip so without traffic you're looking at right around 60-70 minutes,very easy drive.
Thanks to everyone!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
I've done it quite a few times and actually prefer Tampa. I find the security much more efficient in Tampa.

Have a great trip and enjoy your well deserved vacation!
Wouldn't take much for security to be "more efficient" then MCO.
OrangeCountyCommuter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #11
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Fly into TPA because of airfare savings as well. We have National Emerald Club and have a leisure rental benefit with my work and our car rental was the same at both airports when I priced it. It was even the same when we flew into TPA last year and OUT of MCO dropping off at different airport. Check around. Emerald club was nice - bypass counter, etc. TPA is a great airport, not the beast that MCO is. Security very efficient and we got to POR in about 70 minutes via an easy drive. Mousesavers.com has lots of care rental coupons as does flyertalk.com. I think we paid 187.00 for the week and reserved midsize. We were able to snag a KIA midsize SUV on the aisle.

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: