Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
SplashMom
I have a whole new perspective on life!
We are all Disney fanatics

Newbie Questions

We're first time cruisers so I need a little help. I've been reading as much as I can but I haven't seen the answer to my question. I booked a room on the Dream for March but I thought I would be able to choose my cabin. When I booked, it just said that I would be guaranteed a room in my category (Deluxe Stateroom with Balcony) 6B. Can I request a specific room at some point or do we just wait to be assigned a room? I've been reading the stateroom reports and I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Also, has anyone stayed at the Residence Inn the night before? The Cruise Park package seems good...says you will save $15/day for parking. Does this mean that parking at the Residence Inn is free? Is the parking safe? The shuttle to the terminal for 2 is also included. I'm hoping this is a decent deal. Any feedback is much appreciated!
April/May 2007 Pop Century / March 2008 POR / April/May 2009 Caribbean Beach / March 2010 POFQ / August 2010 Pop Century / February 2011 Port Orleans Riverside / February 2012 Port Orleans Riverside / March 2013 AKL Kidani Village and our first cruise on the Disney Dream / May 2013 Aulani...Paradise!/ March 2014 Dream Cruise...Bay Lake Tower/ March 2015 Beach Club and Western Caribbean Cruise!!
SplashMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplashMom View Post
We're first time cruisers so I need a little help. I've been reading as much as I can but I haven't seen the answer to my question. I booked a room on the Dream for March but I thought I would be able to choose my cabin. When I booked, it just said that I would be guaranteed a room in my category (Deluxe Stateroom with Balcony) 6B. Can I request a specific room at some point or do we just wait to be assigned a room? I've been reading the stateroom reports and I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Also, has anyone stayed at the Residence Inn the night before? The Cruise Park package seems good...says you will save $15/day for parking. Does this mean that parking at the Residence Inn is free? Is the parking safe? The shuttle to the terminal for 2 is also included. I'm hoping this is a decent deal. Any feedback is much appreciated!
If you book early enough, you will be able to select a specific room. However, when a certain percentage of rooms within a specifc category are booked, the category goes GTY. At this time you can only book a guarantee. You are guaranteed that you will be assigned a room within your category or higher.

If, when you go to your reservation, look and see if there is a "modify" or "select stateroom" link. If it's there, click it and see if they will let you select a room. If not, the room is in GTY status.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984

Last edited by PrincessShmoo; 09-29-2012 at 05:39 PM.
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
rcchello
DIS Veteran

Disney will sell a certain number of rooms where people can select their cabins, at a certain point they switch over to only allowing guaranty rates. What guaranty means is that they guaranty you a room at that level or better.

It is probably like the airlines overbooking knowing that a certain number of people will cancel so you will get a room of the type requested but they are willing to risk giving you a better room if not.

Bob
OKW - SSR
Next Trip - Fantasy Eastern

Just because it worked for me or worked this way in the past or is part of the great Dis lore is no reason it will work this way in the future. Depending on the CM you get, new interpretation of the rules, changes in rules, weather over the Himalayas, your results may be different.
rcchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
SplashMom

I see...as long as I get a veranda it doesn't matter, lol. Thanks!
April/May 2007 Pop Century / March 2008 POR / April/May 2009 Caribbean Beach / March 2010 POFQ / August 2010 Pop Century / February 2011 Port Orleans Riverside / February 2012 Port Orleans Riverside / March 2013 AKL Kidani Village and our first cruise on the Disney Dream / May 2013 Aulani...Paradise!/ March 2014 Dream Cruise...Bay Lake Tower/ March 2015 Beach Club and Western Caribbean Cruise!!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

At a later date (people do cancel sometimes as a cruise nears) you might be able to choose a room or to modify one that DCL assigns you. For now, you basically have to sit and wait till something opens up.

You WILL be on the ship (they overbook categories, but not the whole ship). And you will be in at least the category you booked or something better.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

When our extended family booked a cruise GTY, a sis-in-law was paranoid that we'd end up sleeping in the life boat. oh puhleeze. I knew our travel agent would never put us at risk like that, and things worked out just fine.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

If you are booking for March, you are kind of a last minute cruiser. I think most of us here book our cruises at least a year in advance. And I always book a specific cabin (although on Disney we got a free upgrade 10 days before departure).
Old 09-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #8
Eleblanc
Mouseketeer

It does not matter if you are a last minute cruiser or you booked your trip on the first day it was available. It is just a matter of how many rooms are still available at the time in your desired category. You will be fine, you will have at least the room category you booked and might get lucky with something in a higher category.
Eleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
SplashMom

Thanks...and TVguy, this is very last minute for me! We have had our airline tickets since May, but just decided to add a cruise to the vacation. We have always hesitated on cruising, prefering Disney World, but we are ready for a change. We will celebrate our 30th anniversary on the ship and our children (adults) won't be there, which is a first. Should be fun!!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
robhawk
DIS Veteran

Splashmom,
Have a great trip!!!
We are doing a 25th anniversary trip! Our first cruise without kids. Should be different. We are also in a 6B.

Rob & Sue

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: