Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #16
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Moving to Transportation board.

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Why shouldn't a two year old get a seat? Who wants to hold a hot, squirmy child? Wait for the next bus if it's too crowded or rent a car.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Oh goody: another bus thread!! We haven't had a good one in what? A couple of weeks now? Always a welcome diversion.

I'm in a wheelchair in the parks and depend on a cane when I am walking. If I get on a bus and all the seats are taken, I stand. I don't begrudge anyone who has gotten on the bus before me. If I absolutely need to sit, I will wait for the next bus. Nobody owes me a seat. But I think that on a full bus it is common courtesy not to pile your various purchases on an empty seat. Seats are for butts, not bags.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
niffer5150
Mouseketeer

I personally don't care if I have to stand. If I'm that tired that its an issue, maybe I should have called it quits and gone home before it became a problem. On a crowded bus, chances are I'm just thrilled that I didn't have to wait for another bus because standing in a line waiting for another bus is just as unpleasent as standing on a bus that's taking me home.
niffer5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #20
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

I don't mind standing, but being a female, I'm often offered a seat by a chivalrous gentleman. I always respectfully decline. I have worked in an ambulance for 15 years so I am entirely used to standing/moving/kneeling, unrestrained, inside a moving vehicle. I am more stable on my feet when we stop or turn than my children or my DH would be so I feel more comfortable if I am the one that stands. My DH will sit (or stand if needed) with the kids. My kids are 7 and 9 now and all of us would gladly give up our seats for women (or men, for that matter) with sleeping toddlers/infants, or to those that are our elders. It's the respectful thing to do. But, if you need a seat, you need a seat...illnesses and injuries happen and sometimes, you just need a place to plant your fanny.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #21
dudspizza
I married in to a Disney crazy family... now I have become the craziest of them all!

Everyone in our world will have different views on this. I will say that I was brought up to be compassionate and caring for others. *If I am able to stand and allow a mother holding a young child or an elderly person to have my seat, I will do so. When my kids were little, they did sit on my lap to allow an open seat for someone.

Come on folks....... this ME, ME, ME attitude gets old very fast. Think of others, it's the right thing to do!

Duds
Old 09-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #22
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

I will stand so my kids can sit - rather then put them on my lap so please don't judge or assume the worst if you see us.

I will/ have often/ do wait for the next bus if we don't feel like we can all stand if necessary.

I aslo budget cab fare for late nights or times when we feel we just can't stand on a bus. ...

If you don't feel like you can stand on a bus please wait for the next bus, drive or take a cab ! It really (really!) is your choice

tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #23
NJOYURLIFE

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudspizza View Post
Everyone in our world will have different views on this. I will say that I was brought up to be compassionate and caring for others. *If I am able to stand and allow a mother holding a young child or an elderly person to have my seat, I will do so. When my kids were little, they did sit on my lap to allow an open seat for someone.

Come on folks....... this ME, ME, ME attitude gets old very fast. Think of others, it's the right thing to do!

Duds
The problem is those who think they can judge that someone else is able to stand just by looking at them.

As far as having a child on the lap, I know that I have had several abdominal surgeries and it would be very painful to have a 15, 20, 30 pound child sitting on my lap for any period of time. Sadly, my children haven't been little for a long time.

Everyone has options. Get on a crowded bus and stand, or wait for the next bus and be first in line to get a seat (then deal with the dirty looks you get from those who came after you and feel you don't really need that seat).

Upcoming 6/22/12 to 7/1/12 VWL, 7/1/12 to 7/15/12 SSR, 7/15 to 7/17 Bay Lake Towers ,4/5/12 Bonnet Creek, 4/6/12 to 4/13/12 Sheraton Vistana, 8/5/11 TO 8/17 Bonnet Creek, 8/17/11 to 8/24/11 SSR, 12/13/09 to 12/17/09 SSR, 6/16/09 TO 7/17/09 AKL Concierge, BWV, BCV & AKL Kidani, 7/27/2008 to 8/24/2008 1 week offsite & then 3 onsite, 6/11/07 to 7/14/07 Various offsite & onsite, 7/31/06 to 8/25/06 Various onsite and offsite, 5/5/06 - FF Bonnet Creek, 5/5/06 to 5/13/06 - OKW, 8/19/05 - FF Bonnet Creek, 8/20/2005 to 8/27/2005 - OKW, 6/14/05 to 6/16/05 - SSR, 6/4/05 to 6/11/05 - OKW, 5/14/04 to 5/21/04 - OKW, 7/6/03 to 7/13/03 - Offsite, 5/12/98 to 5/19/98 - OKW, 7/1/1990 to 7/7/1990 - Disney Villas - Honeymoon, June 1988 Comfort Inn
NJOYURLIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #24
Carriemel
Emma Clare's Mommy

My thing with the bus seating is this: if I am PAYING for my kid to have a ticket to go to the park, she gets EVERYTHING that a paying customer should have, including a seat of her own on the bus. However, before she turned 3, she was ALWAYS on my lap in the bus. But, lordy, once she turned 3, she had her own seat.

Hakuna Matata!
Carriemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #25
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudspizza View Post

Duds
But doesn't the person who "needs" a seat yet gets on a SRO bus also have a "ME, ME, ME attitude"? Since they seem to expect someone to get up for them? Where does the personal responsibility come in?

When it comes to the buses, my thoughts are:

1) Don't judge those who stay in their seats as you know nothing about them.

2) Take personal responsibility if you "need" a seat and wait for the next bus or have your own transportation (car or cab for example).

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #26
cupcakefairy2u
Its just me the cupcake fairy

I am one who will stand so a child can sit . I figure I am more stable on a moving bus then a child . With that being said I remember being with friends on a bus and begging a grown man to stand so my friend and her 7 mo old baby could sit . He said " Nope I am tired and I am sitting" I then watched EVERYONE within ear shot GLARE at him till he got up and moved to stand at the front of the bus .

I always get up for the elderly , a mommy with a small child . Now I am not getting up for a 14 yr old to have a seat cause I aint no spring chicken LOL
Old 09-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #27
RMAMom
DIS Veteran

I agree it also drives me bat **** crazy to see an under 4 in their own seat on an over crowded bus. I realize that you are hot tired and achey but I would happily sit with that hot sweaty little person in lap than to stand for 25 min.

The wort is when I see some idiot with an umbrella stroller in an empty seat. Sadly, I've seen that more than once at the end of the night.

RMAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #28
supersuperwendy
any happy little thought?

People do what they do...

I've been on buses when I was 6 months pregnant and nobody offered me a seat. I've been on buses with two sleeping kids to hang onto and nobody offered me a seat. I've also been on buses where people pull their little ones onto their lap so I can sit. I've seen sweet people and not so sweet people. I don't let it ruin my trip. Just be as polite as you can be. That's all you can do.
Now approaching Mickey's Star Traders......DVC Trip Report 2012! <-----Click Here! Commando Club member #118
DVC Members since 2008

supersuperwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #29
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
But doesn't the person who "needs" a seat yet gets on a SRO bus also have a "ME, ME, ME attitude"? Since they seem to expect someone to get up for them? Where does the personal responsibility come in?

When it comes to the buses, my thoughts are:

1) Don't judge those who stay in their seats as you know nothing about them.

2) Take personal responsibility if you "need" a seat and wait for the next bus or have your own transportation (car or cab for example).
You took the words right out of my mouth. The "ME, ME, ME attitude" works both ways. So does personal responsibility. And being considerate of the needs of others.

If I step onto a SRO bus, I have no way of knowing which people are less capable of standing than I am and which one's aren't. If I really do need a seat then I'll wait for the next bus. If I'm just feeling too lazy to stand, then I'll wait for the next bus. Under no circumstances will I get on a bus and expect someone else to give me their seat. Why should a stranger take responsibility for my comfort If I'm not willing to do it for myself?

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:07 AM   #30
MaxsDad
DIS Veteran

Just another reason why I always rent a car. Everyone gets their own seat at the end of a long hot day. I have had so many bus issues over the years I just gave up on them.

Posted from Disboards.com App for Android
MaxsDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: